Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dead Clamshell iBook 366?? No power, lights, or chimes!! I need desperate help!!!

dead Clamshell iBook 366?? No power, lights, or chimes!! I need desperate help!!!
Chesterton 2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 10:27 PM

I recently forked out $500 for a 366 Indigo Clamshell iBook (revision C model). It has a 20 gig hard drive and 320 ram. The person I bought it from was the original owner and had no problems with the iBook. It took 6.5 days to arrive in the mail. During that time it was obviously unplugged and the battery probably ran out of juice. When I opened the box (it came with all original packaging), pulled out the shiny blue and white iBook, flipped open the lid, plugged it in, pushed the power button in, and discovered the horror as absolutely nothing happened!

I have had it for a couple of days and I can say that I am baffled. I have a few theories though as why this is. What I'm looking for is some help from someone that may know more about these computers than I.

I have read from "Accelerate Your Mac" (a website) that all iBooks have NO external battery. So my question was, "what is an external battery mean?" I concluded that it means that there isn't a battery like found in Powerbooks (as a Wallstreet or Pismo) that can slide in and out with ease for portable use. To say it has no external battery means that the battery it does have in not external, right? The Clamshell has a battery, that I know, but it must me an internal battery. Certainly, the battery is not exactly made to be slid in and out as in the PowerBook. I mean you have to unscrew a panel then pull out this mamouth sized battery from its snug little home. So the battery then must be external, ok. Now, if it is external, and it is completely dead, then the machine will never boot up, right? For example, if I were to take out the battery of say my iMac G3, it would never boot up (I know because I had a power failure with an iMac and a bad battery can be the reason for it).

Let me give some info that the previous owner gave me about the battery. He said that the battery was only holding a charge for an hour at best. Of course, this is when the system was running. Originally, the iBook Clamshell battery would hold a 6hr charge, far from the mere 1- hour charge.

I have read about the battery in Clamshells (particularily my Firewire iBook model). It seems that these batteries have a micro-chip that regulates the battery and allows it to interface with the computer and adaptor. If the battery reaches very low levels of holding charges, this chip can render the battery useless (so I have read). Also, allowing the battery to fully discharge can greatly harm the batteries life (not so in the 1998 edition Clamshell, it had its own battery problems). Even new batteries can be no good if left inactive for 9-months. However, my battery is about 3.5 years old now and it is not surprising that it has reached the end of its life. The battery holds 500 cycles, which is about the duration of time my iBook has been functioning with the battery.

All of this jargon depends on the fact that the Clamshell must have a fully working battery (capable of holding charges and such) to power up. I have seen one owner of a Clamshell say that you cannot turn the computer on without a battery inside. I hope this is true. It seems though it would (as I illustrated earlier by using my iMac as an example) be true. However, I would like some confirmation before I fork over some $100 for a new battery. Has anyone had experience with this?

Finally, I read that PRAM memory (that which regulates the date and time in the computer) can greatly affect the performance of a Clamshell. The earlier editions of the Clamshell iBook (the Tangerine, Blueberry etc) had a Nic battery and the PRAM screwed the whole machine up. This is because there isn't another battery that functions as the PRAM. The battery inside, the only battery inside, functions as the PRAM. I read that if you exchange the battery with another one that the date and time will be saved by a small chip inside the computer for only 20 seconds. This just confirms for me that the Clamshell has only one battery, and internal battery, that does quite a bit to get the iBook running.

Currently, I'm working hard to find an answer for this computer's slumber (as I like to call it). If it has run, as the owner has confirmed, without malfunction or anything out of the norm, then it must be what occurred during shipping (i.e. the battery discharging). The owner had it powered up 15 minutes before he packaged it up without problem.
He did recently inform me that he did take out the Airport card inside before shipping, but that the computer worked fine after that.

Any help is greatly apppreciated! I am working on this iBook for a friend who needs it for school. I want to get a new battery, but I'm not 100% sure that it is the cure. Gather together my Mac comrades and help me revive this beautiful Indigo iBook!

Here is some more specific info on what I've tried and so on: (1) I tried pressing the hard reset button on the front of the keyboard. (2) I checked the adaptor and outlets. I have used four adaptors on the iBook (three were 45W Apple Yo-Yo Adaptors--one came from a TiBook G4 and the other from the Clamshell itself and the other from Apple as a replacement for a recalled Powerbook adaptor--and one was a Wallstreet G3 Adaptor). (3) I bought this computer off of eBay from a member with a 100% feedback rating. He has communicated with me very frequently about the computer. (4) I have tried powering-up without the battery, but no luck there (5)There is no light, whether amber, green or anything--and no chimes that indicate start up.

The previous owner informed me that he pulled his Airport card right before shipment. He seemed to think that doing this could have created the conditions for the shutdown. I checked the Airport slot, and even installed by own, but still no power.

I would like to test a full-charged battery out on the Clamshell to see if it affects it in any way. If it still did not start at least I would know that some other reason exists for the slumbering iBook (which you may call dead).

I have put my ear up to the 3 adaptors while they were plugged in the iBook only to hear a faint clicking sound, but I have been told that it is nothing to be worried about. My Wallstreet used one of the Yo-Yo Adaptors before a friend of mine broke a solder joint on the AC input.

I really need this computer up and running. Thanks.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2004, 02:42 AM

Sorry to hear. I say that particular iBook IS a lemon.

Where did you obtain the iBook from? (i.e. eBay)

I have the original iBook clamshell (blueberry), there is no backup battery, which means if I remove the Li-Ion battery from the button, the clock will reset.

On my iBook 300 (bought in Nov/1999, right after it unveiled). There is no such 1998 edition iBook. It is still working well under Panther with max-out 544MB of RAM. Only, the display backlight went out and I bought a new battery from Apple just last Summer due to my sister mistreated it. I don't think 6 days of unplug is the case here.

How did the seller pack the iBook and any damages?

When I see the $500 for this specific spec iBook, I say it is on the high side. You shouldn't pay any extra after the $500, since it wasn't your fault, right?

Contact the seller ASAP.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 06:35 AM

This is odd indeed. First the battery loses it's ability to charge. My sister is using my old iBook 466 and replaced the battery because it too was only lasting about an hour. Once replaced she was up at 4 hours running jaguar. Your iBook should run while it is plugged in even without the battery, I have done this with my 466. I know you have tried several power supplies without any luck. My next guess, given everything you have tried, is that the power port itself is damaged. Just to be on the safe side, you are able to charge a different computer with any one of these power supplies, correct? I would verify that they do infact charge. It should not have anything to do with the Airport card and, as I said, it should work while it's plugged in with or without the battery. The only thing I could suggest to you is to have a computer shop take a look at it given that you have, what seems to be, everything you the user can do. Or as the previous poster has mentioned, contact the seller and let him know there is an issue, did you got shippers insurance? Good Luck, I hope it works out for you.

Chesterton 2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and info. I really appreciate it.

I thought it was quite ridiculous if the iBook couldn't work without the battery. However, I was hoping that was true just to make this an easy solution.

I have contacted the seller and he has assured me of the computer's ability to function. The item was insured and he has suggested that it could have been damaged during shipping. Can I collect some cash if this is true? It would be hard to show any physical damage to the computer. The box came in perfect shape. Does the insurance cover internal mechanical damage? I wonder.

My main concern is to get it repaired. The adaptors used were all holding charges on their respected computers. So I can cross out bad adaptor. The AC jack, or input, may be damaged, so I have thought. The only way to be sure would be to open the Clamshell up, which I am reluctant to do seeing how it might cause further damage. Nonetheless, it may be my only option here. I have a Wallstreet G3 which certainly has a bad AC input (I know because I saw my friend break it). It is now quite dead as a result. I don't know how the AC input could have been damaged during transit, but I suppose it is possible. The Wallstreet's AC input, or jack, is on the Sound/AC card. Does the Clamshell possess a simular card that may need replacing? I have read that such a circuit board exists in the Clamshell (that regulated the electricity necessary for recharging the battery and operating the computer off of the AC). What do you think? Is this right?

Should I purchase a new battery or take it to an Apple store for repair (or at least an estimate and evaluation)? It is a beautiful machine and I hate to just give up on it.

If there is anything else you might suspect as causing the "dead" condition (besides the theories of mine mentioned) of the Clamshell let me know. Thanks again for helping me here. This computer is for a good friend of mine in college. She desperately needs this laptop running. Worst of all, she gave me some cash to get this iBook. I'm under quite a bit of pressure and limiting time. Thanks again!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2004, 08:06 PM

For the shipping part.

Last time, I remembered that I shipped an external SCSI CD/RW to the winner on eBay. I kept the CDRW drive inside the original factory packing and shipped it by UPS Ground.

The buyer later told me that the front Bezel was broken, but the drive itself was still working. He filled a claim form on UPS.com. UPS called me about it and requested for the paperwork of the value of the goods and receipt.

Later on, I received a check from UPS with the same amount of the eBay final bid price. I am not sure did the buyer receive the same check as well.

Since the seller claimed that the iBook was good upon shipping, you should fill out the form on the carrier site.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 09:48 PM

Have you tried resetting the PMU? I had a Powerbook that refused to boot after the battery died completely. I think the reset helped (IIRC).
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by ccsccs7:
Have you tried resetting the PMU? I had a Powerbook that refused to boot after the battery died completely. I think the reset helped (IIRC).
iBook and iBook (FireWire) computers
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC power adapter.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and release the reset button (shown in Figure 1) located above the Power button at the base of the display. Use a small, blunt instrument such as a paper clip to press the button.
5. Wait 5 seconds.
6. Reconnect the AC power adapter.
7. Put the battery back in the computer.
8. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

Definately worth a try.

Go to an Apple store if one is around, if it is a simple issue they can deal with it right there. I know how the pressure of trying to help out a friend can be. The resetting thing ccsccs7 posted looks promising.

Hmm, you know, I am wondering if the cold weahter might have played a role in this.

Chesterton 2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 12:10 AM

I wondered about the weather too. The iBook was shipped from Ontario, Canada. I thought that something electrical may have interfered with the iBook during shipment (as some scanning device or something that transmits harmful electrical fields that could mess up the computer).

I tried resetting the PMU with no luck. I followed the procedure but the iBook is still nice and quiet. Maybe its just shy? I can still hope. (LOL)

I'm considering opening the iBook. I have to fix my Wallstreet and thought I might peek in the Clamshell, but I may just take it to a professional (I don't want to cause more damage).

I appreciate the help. If you have anymore clues as to what could cause an iBook to suddenly stop working let me know. This is very odd to me, I must say. It worked 15 minutes, said the owner, before he shut it down and shipped it. Go figure!

Chesterton 2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 04:11 PM

Hi,

I am typing this on the once dead iBook. I started to take it apart (after I fixed my Wallstreet's AC input) late the other night. Once inside I found screws missing and some laying loose all over the circuit boards. The modem too appeared to be loose, so I plugged it in. After I did all of this, I plugged it in, and then suddenly the iBook lived!

Thanks for all the tips, but it appeared that all I needed was my noggin' and a torx 8 screwdriver. The funny thing was that I was going to take it to the Apple Store today. Thank goodness I got crazy with my screwdriver. Now the Clamshell purrs like a kitten!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 05:07 PM

odd.

youre stoked tho.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 08:02 PM

Woo Hoo!!

I know that feeling when you fix a very bad problem yourself.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 08:19 PM

Hey sweet. Well done. And stick around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules