Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer
dosequis09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2007, 02:02 AM

I have to use a website for my work that requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, however Microsoft no longer supports IE for Mac. Does anyone know anyway around this or a way to use IE 5.5 on a mac?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2007, 04:07 AM

Try Firefox or Mozilla.

You can tell these to "pretend" they're IE 5.5 - many of these websites are just built by complete dumb**** lazy assholes who simply won't *test* their site in anything other than Internet Exploder, and thus won't show them if the browser says it's not IE 5.5, even though they might work fine.

Be sure to WRITE THEM a sincere, but clearly written E-MAIL telling them exactly why making Internet Exploder a mandatory requirement is a pain in the ass, and that their web designer needs to either get with the program or be replaced. A good argument here is that many businesses do not allow the use of Internet Exploder from their corporate machines/networks due to massive security issues.

If it still doesn't work, the reason the site won't work is probably because it requires ActiveX; then, your only option is to install Windows through Parallels or Bootcamp, and run IE from there.

In that case, make sure to WRITE THEM E-MAIL telling them exactly why their web-designers are losing them business from the growing number of people who cannot or will not use Internet Exploder and/or Windows, ESPECIALLY since ActiveX is a security nightmare. A good argument here is that many businesses do not allow the use of Internet Exploder or ActiveX from their corporate machines/networks due to massive security issues.

In either case, *please* WRITE THEM AN E-MAIL making it clear that if their policy is to force their users to compromise the security of their machines, they should *probably* start very seriously rethinking their policy, like, yesterday.

ahmed_88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2007, 03:11 PM

If you only need the occasional use of IE, you may give CrossOver from CodeWeaver a try. It no free, but am able to run IE 6 for Windows within my OS X environment without the likes of Parallels or BootCamp. As far as certain applications like Explorer, it works fairly well. Give the 30 day demo a try, you might be pleasantly surprised

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ahmed_88 View Post
If you only need the occasional use of IE, you may give CrossOver from CodeWeaver a try. It no free, but am able to run IE 6 for Windows within my OS X environment without the likes of Parallels or BootCamp. As far as certain applications like Explorer, it works fairly well. Give the 30 day demo a try, you might be pleasantly surprised
That's far more than he needs just to use a website, and it may not even be an option for him since we don't know what kind of Mac he has.

Trin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 03:24 PM

I've had this problem before too as I used to design a website for a store I worked at... I had to test it on every available internet browser and sometimes the IE on Mac didn't look the same as it did on the PC... so I eventually just had to use the PC for IE and Mac for everything else... It's not the best option but if you do have both a PC/Mac that's all i can think of doing... But I agree... it's about time they realized that most people on Windows machines don't use IE anymore anyway. Pretty much everyone has switched to Firefox by now.
( Last edited by Trin; May 28, 2007 at 04:55 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trin View Post
it's about time they realized that most people on Windows machines don't use IE anymore anyway. Pretty much everyone has switched to Firefox by now.
If only that were true.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 03:34 PM

Hahahaha ...

- Is all I'm going to say.

OreoCookie
May 28, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
If only that were true.
Even if you use FireFox, you can always fire up IE for websites that don't work with other browsers (I had a case when I wanted to purchase additional warranty for my sister's new HP laptop; I ended up calling customer serviced and had them do it for me. I was told this was a `known problem'.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules