Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP battery gone bad

MBP battery gone bad
dosequis09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2009, 12:21 PM

I think I have a bad battery. My MBP is about 14 months old and the battery is only lasting a little under an hour. It says that it is at 85% but only has 45 min. remaining. I was reading that on the core 2 MBP the batteries are covered for 2 years and Apple will replace it... is that true? Here is the info from the about mac
Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-3769-c40f
Manufacturer: Sony
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 0001
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0303
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2170
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 2909
Health Information:
Cycle count: 195
Condition: Check battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -3337
Voltage (mV): 11136

Thanks in advance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 06:42 PM

Nope, 1 year; pay up.

The only Macbook Pro battery recall program was in '06.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2009, 07:22 PM

I just had mine replaced.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook...batteryupdate/

I don't know if it's the same program as the other one.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2009, 07:32 PM

I guess you're right, it was canceled. I lucked out? I'd visit an Apple Store anyway, they might be able to do something for you.

dosequis09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2009, 12:08 AM

I called Apple tech support today and based on the information from the Mac Info and since it is under Applecare it will be covered and they will send me a replacement one after I reset the battery tonight and if the problem persists.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 03:31 AM

Batteries are explicitly exempt from AppleCare. You can try to ask and some are lucky (especially when warranty has just run out) but in general Apple will not replace a bad battery after 12 months. Even if you have AC.

I suggest people check their batteries just before their regular 12 month warranty runs out. If the cycle count is below 300 and full charge capacity is less than 80% of the original value, Apple will give you a free replacement. Obviously it's a good idea to reset the SMC and recalibrate the battery before you conclude it's bad.

Original capacity for the pre-UB MBPs is around 5.6Ah. For the black/white MBs it's about 5Ah.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 01:46 PM

From our Apple Tech: The battery is covered by the 1st year only, but not for the other 2 years if you bought AppleCare.

The difference, though, is that this was a factory recall because the batteries were defective from the beginning. I think you can get them replaced anyway by calling Apple. Most states have lemon laws, the company has to replace them.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jan 29, 2009, 10:49 PM

Well that is a pain, I rarely take my macbook off the ac anymore. I just tried and I have only about 1 hour charge. My macbook is over a year old now

I do have random issues where my macbook wont wake up from sleep sometimes. So I am going to try this SMC reset.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 29, 2009, 11:17 PM

Apple has been quite obnoxious about these batteries in my experience, especially if they did not precisely fall within the recall program. My machine was 14months when the battery crapped out royally, could get maybe 30 minutes. Apple would do nothing, I didn't buy applecare 'cause it doesn't cover batteries and i don't care enough. Regardless, I bought a new one and it will surely go the way as the other... so, come May I will be back, within the 1 year battery warranty to claim a new one. The performance is rather absurd, even though I calibrate them regularly, I really don't under stand it. I have a nearly 6 or 7 year old G3 iBook that still holds nearly a full charge on the original battery, getting nearly 5 hours. And I have a PowerBook G4 that also still performs quite well... NEITHER WAS CALIBRATED REGULARLY, in fact I can't even remember calibrating them ever... so what changed?

Ok, so excuse the rant, but I have had plenty of mac lappys, the above is only like 1/3 and the failure rate of the MBP batteries is really high.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2009, 04:10 AM

Just FYI, calibration does not make a battery live longer. Calibration is just that, calibration. It ensures battery time readings you get are accurate.

Just because somebody calibrates their battery twice a day does not mean it will last longer (actually quite the opposite). OTOH just because you never calibrated a battery in six years does not mean it should have broken down long ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules