Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleep or Power Off when moving?

Sleep or Power Off when moving?
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 07:22 PM

I am a college student constantly on the go, and my campus is completely wireless, so I always open my computer everywhere. I use a messenger bag for it, so it is lightly hitting against my body in the bag (the bag has papers and books in it as well, normal school bag). I was wondering if it is better to power off my powerbook g4 or if i can put it to sleep. If i power it off, i feel that powering it on and off like 15+ times a day is not good for it, but putting it sleep in a bag that is moving could mess up stuff inside. Which is right?
blah

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 07:31 PM

When you put it to sleep, it parks the heads of the HD, so you should be just fine sleeping it. I've always traveled with mine in sleep mode, and it's been perfectly fine despite a few bumps.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 07:45 PM

You want to use sleep mode. Only shutdown if you won't be using the computer for a while or if you're very low on battery power and don't have a chance to recharge.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 10:36 PM

I always use sleep myself - going on 7 years of portables with no failures.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2007, 10:41 PM

In your situation, I'd stick to sleep on campus (and back and forth to home too). I am also "on the move", but I'm not typically in locations where I have a chance to open up the MBP in class, so I turn it off when I get ready to start moving. If I was going from one "laptop friendly" room to another, I'd just put it to sleep.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 11:59 PM

Putting it to sleep is very similar hardware wise (exactly the same?) as shutting it down. It stops everything.

my understanding about sleep is that all it does differently is copy the RAM to the harddrive, so that you can pickup were you left off... shutting down closes everything and erases the RAM.

So there is no benefit to shutting down vs. just putting it to sleep except for battery life (which in my experience is about 3% every 12 hours.)
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules