Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My TiBook hits the floor

My TiBook hits the floor
msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2002, 07:34 PM

Like an idiot, I tripped over the power cord and dragged it off the couchside table and it fell 2 feet to the floor.

No apparent damage or so it seemed.

Then I went to insert a CD and noticed that the slot was mashed together and the front of the case underneath the slot had come apart. The case was bent such that a CD couldn't be inserted and there was a quarter-inch gap where the case had separated. Oh crap. My heart sank, thinking this can't be a good thing.

Well, there is a happy ending and it says something about the toughness of the TiBook. I grabbed my Swiss Army Knife and carefully inserted the blade inside the slot, twisted it slightly and popped the case back together. Bada-bing, bada-boom. TiBook fixed!

Looking at it now, you can't tell that it was ever damaged. I should have took a pic of it before I fixed it as it really looked pretty bad.

I've dropped the TiBook off the couch before (problem with hyperactive cat) but this is the first time it's ever shown any ill effects.

Either I'm lucky or Apple makes some tough-skinned notebooks!

freebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2002, 07:56 PM

You're one lucky dude! Just in case something like this happens again, consider http://www.safeware.com.

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2002, 07:57 PM

Yikes, you'd think that the power plug wouldn't grip hard enough to yank the whole thing off the table. Shoulda made it with in-line releases like the XBox controllers have... Then again, that COULD get really annoying if it got unplugged all the time, but then again, you probably have a battery in there.
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
---------------------------------------
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2002, 08:07 PM

Instead of using a swiss army knife, please remove the bottom case cover as you would when inserting an airport card. It's a little more nuisance but far safer than sticking a knife around the computer (especially a folding knife with no lockback on it- the knife can fold shut and cut you in the process when you use a swiss army knife.)

Only interested in not seeing users cut to ribbons
vmarks
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

cambro
Senior User
Nov 21, 2002, 09:25 PM

Great story...thanks for posting.
Actually, it would be kinda nice to build a "database" of use and abuse that the Ti books have experienced. What are common absuses that the Tibook passes and which mistakes turn out to be Tibook killers? A common complaint from non-users (and users too?) is that the Ti book "seems really flimsy." But this experience as well as some of my own prove otherwise.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by freebird:
You're one lucky dude! Just in case something like this happens again, consider http://www.safeware.com.
do you recommend this over Applecare, does it cover the same thing?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
Actually, it would be kinda nice to build a "database" of use and abuse that the Ti books have experienced.
I'd like that. That way, if I decide to purchase a used TiBook, I can just check the database to see who to avoid buying from!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Like an idiot, I tripped over the power cord and dragged it off the couchside table and it fell 2 feet to the floor.

No apparent damage or so it seemed.

Then I went to insert a CD and noticed that the slot was mashed together and the front of the case underneath the slot had come apart. The case was bent such that a CD couldn't be inserted and there was a quarter-inch gap where the case had separated. Oh crap. My heart sank, thinking this can't be a good thing.

Well, there is a happy ending and it says something about the toughness of the TiBook. I grabbed my Swiss Army Knife and carefully inserted the blade inside the slot, twisted it slightly and popped the case back together. Bada-bing, bada-boom. TiBook fixed!

Looking at it now, you can't tell that it was ever damaged. I should have took a pic of it before I fixed it as it really looked pretty bad.

I've dropped the TiBook off the couch before (problem with hyperactive cat) but this is the first time it's ever shown any ill effects.

Either I'm lucky or Apple makes some tough-skinned notebooks!

This is why (and only why) I got my PB order thru CompUSA.... TAP (3 years).... They will replace with no questions asked.... Done it twice on my iPod!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

freebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 02:01 PM

Applecare and Safeware are really for two different things. Applecare protects you from hardware failures where safeware protects you from hardware accidents. I recommend them both. Safeware is very reasonable and one price can protect all computers in your home plus peripherals and software. My homeowners insurance will only cover the first $1000. It's nice to know that if my Ti is damaged, even if I do something stupid, that I won't be sol.

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2002, 11:52 AM

Me too. I managed to drop mine last night: had it on the lab and tried to catch a notice on a table right next to me.......ouuuch...it slipped of to the left and hit the floor with it�s left side lower casing........but i was lucky: no damage at all, no paint chipping, no screen issues. This thingy is REALLY rugged!!!

ME IS A LUCKY MAN

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2002, 02:00 PM

i line itemed many things to go on my homeowners insurance...including my LCD projector and my computers. it only added about $3/month more to my premium. everything is covered: theft, flooding, fire, etc (things i can't control) as well as 'my fault' things: droping laptops for example; projector's ceiling mount releases, etc. hell, when i took my Ti on my Alaskan trip, it was covered if a bear mauled me and the 'book or it fell off the cruise ship into the water. all covered

one09jason
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 10:27 AM

Wow,

What homeowners insurance do you use? Sounds too good to be true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules