Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered by first laptop ever... PB 1Ghz SD!!

Just ordered by first laptop ever... PB 1Ghz SD!!
davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 01:50 PM

I've never owned a laptop before, but I'm very excited and can't wait to get my new powerbook. Any suggestions from seasoned powerbook owners? Should I get one of those leather screen protectors? Anything else I should know?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2002, 01:54 PM

Don't bother with the screen protector. Treat it well, but don't treat it as well as you treat yourself and your family. It's material; you're relationships aren't.

Anyway, that's all the advice I have to give.

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2002, 03:04 PM

Congratulations. I did the same thing as you -- first laptop was the Gigabook. I got it yesterday and just set up the wireless. It's amazing. Enjoy.

freebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2002, 11:08 PM

The one must have is a Road Tools Podium Coolpad. It'll help keep it cool plus it puts it at an adjustable angle to easy viewing/typing, and it also swivels. http://www.roadtools.com/podium.html

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2002, 11:25 PM

I'm sure you will love it! I have that same model you ordered, and its great. Its my 2nd Powerbook.

I would not advise you buy a screen protector. You may want to go for some high-quality headphones, a nice mouse (I just got a Logitech MX500, which is great), and maybe an extra battery.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 11:33 PM

congrats on the powerbook, you'll love it, i'm as apple say a "switcher" and dammit these things are brilliant. I personaly got a 1ghz/combo. This laptop leaves my dual 866 p3 desktop box for dead. iTunes is possably one of the best media apps i've ever seen.

two apps i don't think i could live without now is drop draws and synergy

drop draws gives you little tabs that you can put apps launchers, text, notes, pretty much anything in, saves clutering to dock up with apps you don't use every day. synergy is a preference pane that sits in the menu bar to control itunes.

enjoy the powerbook, i know i am!

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 03:40 PM

No need to buy one of those expensive leather screen protectors. You could use a THIN piece of cloth or a piece of paper...

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
No need to buy one of those expensive leather screen protectors. You could use a THIN piece of cloth or a piece of paper...

Pat
Yeah, but you'd be partaking in the killing of an innocent tree with that paper. Go for the leather.
I, ASIMO.

jcjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:

Yeah, but you'd be partaking in the killing of an innocent tree with that paper. Go for the leather.

i'd rather have a dead tree than a dead cow in my Tibook anyday

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 05:49 AM

those leather screenprotectors are a waste of money. isnt it thicker than a peice of paper? meaning it will press on the screen.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 10:13 AM

Thank you for all the tips

I checked with UPS and I'll have my PBSD on thursday. I hope I can wait! Two more days.....
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

crispinwilliams
Dec 10, 2002, 10:39 AM

Essential additions
Mouse with scroll wheel
Suitable case : such as waterfield design http://www.sfbags.com/ or timbuk2 http://www.timbuk2.com/

enjoy

Forum Links
Forum Rules