Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAID utility warning message

RAID utility warning message
benz
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2009, 10:57 AM

hi, i ve a mac pro, 4T storage ( 4 bays with 1T each), RAID card, set as RAID 5, and has been working for 1 year very smoothly. but today RAID utility launch a red event :
" drive 3 : ..........( some no. ) ... failure to be detected" and subsequent messages : "degraded RAID set R0-1; no spare for rebuild".

but i check the 4 drives from RAID utility , all these bays show " green" button and SMART verified and status good, and all of these 4 bays are " assigned" except bay 2 which is " roaming" ,

well the RAID set shows a yellow button, meaning it 's degraded, so something must be wrong and need to be rectified or data integrity cannot be guaranteed.

but the question is :
is it problem of RAID card or one of the hard drive failure, if so (i.e. hard drive), which one should i replace? bay 2 or bay 3?

also i ve tried to verify the RAID set via RAID utility, but can't do and message turn up " cannot communicate with the system'?

can anyone help resolve this issue? thanks a lot

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2009, 01:58 PM

Find out the serial number of the failing drive.
Pull out the bays and find that drive via serial number.
Replace drive.

Problem solved

benz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2009, 09:20 PM

thanks

do u mean i need to pull out the drive from the bay before recognising the serial no. ? can i see the serial no. of individual drives via RAID utility?

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2009, 05:00 AM

You can see the serial numbers in the System Profiler, for instance under the category Hardware > SATA. Find out the serial number of the faulty drive (by BSD name, for instance, that looks something like disk0 or disk1) and then write it down. Power down your machine and find the drive with that serial number on it (pull out all the drives and compare the serial numbers).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

benz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2009, 03:00 AM

thanks, i 'll try, actually ve arranged an onsite service from apple and see what happens

benz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2009, 05:51 AM

"Find out the serial number of the failing drive.
Pull out the bays and find that drive via serial number.
Replace drive.".....

the apple onsite service today change a new hard disc, but the tech. don't know what to do next.
shall i proceed to "migrate RAID set " seen at left upper corner of RAID utility? or shall i "make spare" of the newly replaced hard drive?

thank

P.S. i ve been using RAID 5 via 4 HD, each 1T storage.

benz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2009, 11:07 PM

Just to provide more information for reference :

i ve a mac pro, set at RAID 5 with 4 hard drives and each 1T storage, recently there is a message from RAID utility :
--"Drive 3 : 5000cca216d27040 failure detected - previous drive status was inuse"

-- "Degraded RAID set R0-1

-- " Degraded RAID Set R0-1 - No spare available for rebuild"

waht's the problem here? is it hard drive failure? if so,which one? or can it be a RAID card failure?

actually apple onsite service available yesterday and they changed one of the hard drive ( as its status marked as roaming while other 3 marked as assigned) but what 's next after replace the hard drives ? how can make the new one rebuild into the RAID set ? as even after replacement the hard drive, RAID set still show as degraded. The tech. seemed not familiar with RAID system.

please advice

benz

steve_warmowski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2009, 09:40 PM

benz – Can you please relay the results of your problem? I am having a similar "roaming" hard drive and a degraded internal RAID in my Mac Pro thanks to my Apple RAID Controller Card and don't know what to do.

I had 3 1TB GB Seagate drives in my computer, set them up into a RAID 5 when I purchased the computer last May. Everything worked fine, but I needed more space, so I put in 3 1.5TB Western Digital Green Caviar drives last month.

Since then Apple RAID Utility simultaneously said
Drive 3:50014ee2as76e6e2 failure detected - Primary sick port unusable, previous drive status was inuse
Drive 3:50014ee2as76e6e2 missing - Previous drive status was inuse
Degraded RAID set RS1
Drive Carrier 00:02 position has been updated
Drive Carrier 00:02 inserted

Since then I've received several warnings
Degraded RAID set=t RS1 - No spare available for rebuild

Now I get a yellow caution that the RAID set is viable but degraded. Bay 2 is roaming, SMART verified and Status good but unassigned; Bay 3 is assigned and SMART verified and Status good.

Thankfully the RAID set is still working (all my data is backed up on an Aperture Vault). I'd hate to rebuild from my Vault, though, for last time I had to do that (when I had to rebuild my RAID) it took several days to rebuild all my thumbnails on my photos.

So benz, please relay your experiences.
— Is the drive in Bay 2 still good, like the status says?
— Is there a way to get that drive to quit roaming and get back into that RAID set? Or, do I have to rebuild everything and start over?

Apple RAID Utility help makes no mention of what to do. I can also say there's lots of poo-poos to Apple on other forums about their card. Kinda sad for all the $ they charge.

Steve Warmowski

steve_warmowski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2009, 12:01 PM

Drive 3:50014ee2as76e6e2 failure detected - Primary sick port unusable, previous drive status was inuse

Correction — Primary disk port unusable, so it should read
Drive 3:50014ee2as76e6e2 failure detected - Primary disk port unusable, previous drive status was inuse

steve_warmowski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2009, 01:01 PM

Just got off the phone with Apple (I had purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan with my Mac Pro) and this is what they told me to do:

Turn off computer, pull the roaming drive out (in my case Bay 2) and reinsert
Turn on computer and open RAID Utility
Click on the roaming disc (for me, Bay 2) under Drives
In menu go RAID > Make Spare
The Mac Pro RAID Card then rebuilds the RAID.

My computer is currently rebuilding the Raid Set, and theoretically all will be well.

This documentation did not ship with my computer, but here's a link to the RAID Utility User Guide:
http://images.apple.com/xserve/pdf/R...User_Guide.pdf

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules