Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Shipped in the UK!

Shipped in the UK!
apollo11
Forum Regular
May 26, 2010, 03:37 AM

Notification of shipped iPad order here in the UK.

Won't sleep tonight!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2010, 03:45 AM

Enjoy!

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2010, 03:51 AM

Thanks!

Jason on the UK based Gadget Show said he has hardly used his lap top and used the iPhone much less during the month he has had his iPad.

Is the iPad that good?

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2010, 04:37 PM

Same here!!

Wish I had the day off!!!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 26, 2010, 04:46 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but the iPad sucks--I have one. Just kidding!

I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I still take it everywhere. I enjoy it alot. It's a fun, unique gadget that is incredibly distracting.

It will be even better once more apps get on the market for it.

I hope you get yours soon.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but the iPad sucks--I have one. Just kidding!

I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I still take it everywhere. I enjoy it alot. It's a fun, unique gadget that is incredibly distracting.

It will be even better once more apps get on the market for it.

I hope you get yours soon.
haha I almost got saddened by this reply at first

Yes, hopefully tomorrow (which is the delivery estimate) apparently it's current location is inside the van ready to be delivered (and the company it's coming from is around the corner)... so I'm hoping early morning tomorrow!!

And just noticed the app store has been updated UK side with the iPad tab. Just spent about £25
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2010, 09:54 AM

64 gig 3G iPad and all accessories have arrived.

Nowhere near my iTunes account though.

Looks everybit "Apple" as I could wish for.

Thanks Apple!

-Q-
May 27, 2010, 10:17 AM

Congrats.

And depending on what your personal needs are, it certainly can take the place of a laptop much of the time. I've been testing mine as a laptop replacement for work and it's definitely close (more software than hardware at this point).

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2010, 07:12 PM

Mine arrived today too. It's ace!!!

Love the aluminium back and the overall robustness. The apps I have are top notch and as a comic book reader, it really does shine!

But the screen is really what makes it stand out for me! Videos, magazines with videos inside, i'm truly chuft. Just regret the 60-70 pounds I've blown on the app store since haha

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2010, 12:38 AM

Canadian app store is live now.
Kaching!

Jens Peter
Senior User
May 28, 2010, 12:41 PM

Sounds great! I was tempted to drive to Germany to get one... Hopefully Apple starts selling the iPads in the rest of EU soon!

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2010, 07:09 PM

Just read the times via their 28 day subscription service for £10.

Have to say it's worth it!!

A day into my iPad and I think its going to change the way I do...

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2010, 07:05 AM

On my iPad home screen in the centre line about a sixth of the way up from the bottom edge are two tiny icons. One is an angled magnifying glass icon and the other is a white dot, they are only a few pixels square.

Activity solidifies the magnifier and greys out the dot and lack of activity reverses this.

Any ideas what these are about?

Had my iPad 64 gig 3G for 2 days or so. When the desktop for iPad is developed I will be able to switch from my MBPro.

Has any one seen the Substrata.com cases? What do you think? Will the case make the iPad unwieldy?

-Q-
May 30, 2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by apollo11 View Post
On my iPad home screen in the centre line about a sixth of the way up from the bottom edge are two tiny icons. One is an angled magnifying glass icon and the other is a white dot, they are only a few pixels square.

Activity solidifies the magnifier and greys out the dot and lack of activity reverses this.

Any ideas what these are about?
Those are status icons to let you know which home screen you're on, or how far away you are from the spotlight search.

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2010, 07:47 AM

I did not realise there can be multiple home screens. What use would that be? Multiple accounts perhaps?

-Q-
May 30, 2010, 08:02 AM

I did not realise there can be multiple home screens. What use would that be? Multiple accounts perhaps?
Application storage. You're not limited to just one screen of applications. And if you're so inclined, you can organize each home screen into app types or however you'd like. On mine, I have my page of work/productivity apps, games, etc.

Currently, there's no concept of "users" in the iPhone OS so no real support for multiple accounts.

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2010, 08:31 AM

I have been using the iPad since UK launch day.

Dare I say I really miss having a desktop.

File transfer and disk access is very clunky. I expected iTunes like on my Macs. The iPod-style music player is claustrophobic.

Safari seems very stripped down, can I set a home page?

The only app I really like is Mail.

Still, early days, I don't want to rain on the parade. Looking forward to a major overhaul for iPad OS, which I'd pay say, £20 for.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2010, 10:42 AM

I have been using the iPad since UK launch day.

Dare I say I really miss having a desktop.

File transfer and disk access is very clunky. I expected iTunes like on my Macs. The iPod-style music player is claustrophobic.

Safari seems very stripped down, can I set a home page?

The only app I really like is Mail.

Still, early days, I don't want to rain on the parade. Looking forward to a major overhaul for iPad OS, which I'd pay say, £20 for.
What do you find yourself wanting to do with the iTunes app?

Personally, I find the app just fine, the search function works well, the chart works well also. The iPod music player is much more like iTunes on a desktop, works really well when using sorting with an organised library. You can add playlists etc.

Safari doesn't have tabbed browsing which is a major shame. You can add a home page, press on the + sign besides the URL.

Mail app does work very well...

What do you wish the iPad did that it doesn't? It was never meant as a desktop replacement.

So far, my only annoyance is how long it takes to back up the iPad, which seems like forever with all my comics. Think it reaches almost 30 minutes. So I'm tending to click on the x to cancel.

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2010, 11:04 AM

Maybe I'm just used to iTunes where I can see 30 or so items at a time(visualizer would be nice on iPad)

What I would really like is QT player & I would like to be able to mount an Airdisk on my iPad and open files from it from any app via a dialogue box.

I reckon with a few refinements iPad could replace my laptop for me.

I would give iPad 90/100 as it is.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2010, 06:29 PM

Maybe I'm just used to iTunes where I can see 30 or so items at a time(visualizer would be nice on iPad)

What I would really like is QT player & I would like to be able to mount an Airdisk on my iPad and open files from it from any app via a dialogue box.

I reckon with a few refinements iPad could replace my laptop for me.

I would give iPad 90/100 as it is.
Yeah, I think a visualiser would be nice too.

QT player would be nice, the videos app is great though to me... I don't really see a need for QT at the minute, I can pause, zoom, play and that's about all I need to do really... unless you're thinking of file support? In which case, hell yes! 'Cos it's a pain using HandBrake a lot.

I think file sharing may come eventually - but it's a long way off on the iPad. It'll only come when people kick up as large a fuss as they did over multitasking and Apple will eventually cave. I think they see it that the pain and hassle caused will help them to sell more as people will just use their app's such as iTunes and the AppStore.

I agree with your rating though, it's not the perfect, finished article, but it will be in a few increments time and as a new device I think it's a true breakthrough. I can't wait for developers to really get their teeth into it.

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Forum Links
Forum Rules