Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Recovery Disk RAID

Recovery Disk RAID
bojangles
Senior User
Jun 1, 2012, 10:39 AM

I’ve got a 2011 Mac mini Server and have set the internal hard drives as a mirrored RAID. However, I can’t get the Recovery Disk Partition to work. I tried recreating it using Carbon Copy Cloner (which does support such a thing), but no dice. I assume the issue is that for some reason, the RDP is a different size on the two disks. Here are the results of diskutil list:
Code:
/dev/disk0 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_RAID 499.2 GB disk0s2 3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 650.0 MB disk0s3 /dev/disk1 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1 2: Apple_RAID 499.8 GB disk1s2 3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3 /dev/disk2 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: Apple_HFS MortimerRAID *499.2 GB disk2 /dev/disk3 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk3 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1 2: Apple_HFS FilesRAID 2.0 TB disk3s2 /dev/disk4 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk4 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1 2: Apple_HFS MortimerHD Backup 499.1 GB disk4s2 3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk4s3
(Note that disk3 is a Firewire-attached hardware RAID and disk4 is a Firewire backup disk, including a Carbon Copy Cloner–built Recovery Disk Partition. It is from this partition that I was booted, at the time.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

hobowankenobi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2012, 04:53 PM

That's right, you can't.

Per Apple, the recovery partition is not supported in certain configurations.......including RAID arrays:

Additional Information

Recovery HD cannot be created on RAID volumes. If your startup device is a RAID volume, you can either back up and reconfigure your computer to use a non-RAID boot volume and, if needed, a RAID volume for data which is not the target of OS X Lion installation. You can also create an external bootable drive with Recovery HD partition, as described above.
OS X Lion: "Some features of Mac OS X Lion are not supported for the disk (volume name)" appears during installation

You are not alone, this leads to some head scratching!

Forum Links
Forum Rules