Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sports™

Sports™ (Page 25)
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 03:58 PM

Bill Russell ... former Boston Celtics legend, 11 time NBA Championship winner, 5 time NBA MVP, and Presidential Medal of Freedom winner ... clearly has a different viewpoint than Mr. Trump.

OAW

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2017, 05:29 PM

“They’re showing an awareness of things; they’re making themselves heard,” Lombardi said. “They have a right to say what they want, and it behooves us to listen. I don’t know … my own lack of awareness … In my own little sphere, maybe I didn’t see things the way I should have. My kids tell me things, and sometimes I have trouble understanding them. Well, I’ve got to learn.”

Interview 4 months before his death in 1970.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Bill Russell ... former Boston Celtics legend, 11 time NBA Championship winner, 5 time NBA MVP, and Presidential Medal of Freedom winner ... clearly has a different viewpoint than Mr. Trump.

This is a complete tangent, the very definition of tangent, but I find it amusing sometimes that we use "Mr." or "Mrs." with people that we obviously don't respect. I guess it is kind of a sarcastic formality?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This is a complete tangent, the very definition of tangent, but I find it amusing sometimes that we use "Mr." or "Mrs." with people that we obviously don't respect. I guess it is kind of a sarcastic formality?
Absolutely. Calling him "President" Trump affords him a dignity he clearly doesn't deserve. Hence why I typically refer to him as "POTUS" or "Mr.".

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 06:00 PM

And as much as Mr. Trump and many others want to talking about "disrespecting veterans" displays like this from actual veterans are very commonplace.

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2017, 06:31 PM

Absolutely. Calling him "President" Trump affords him a dignity he clearly doesn't deserve. Hence why I typically refer to him as "POTUS" or "Mr.".

OAW
My preferred terms for him would all get starred out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2017, 06:49 PM

I love me some Bill Russell.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
“They’re showing an awareness of things; they’re making themselves heard,” Lombardi said. “They have a right to say what they want, and it behooves us to listen. I don’t know … my own lack of awareness … In my own little sphere, maybe I didn’t see things the way I should have. My kids tell me things, and sometimes I have trouble understanding them. Well, I’ve got to learn.”

Interview 4 months before his death in 1970.
Wow, damn good quote.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 09:45 PM

So, just to be clear, kneeling to say FU USA good, kneeling to pray, bad.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They sure can express their discontent and I sure as hell can be skeptical about their reasons given the subject matter.

This protest hasn't accomplished its goal? Uh the entire point is to get people's attention. It's worked in spades thanks to that moron.
and it's justifiably taking 10s of $millions$ out of the NFL's pockets every Sunday, and that's not counting the vast sums lost in dropped contracts and sponsors. All for protesting the wrong people. You want to disrespect Trump or the conservative leadership, that's fine, he rubs many the wrong way, but besmirching veterans (even unwittingly) will only lead to infamy and lost fortunes.

There are degrees, of course. Many (most?) who take a knee don't understand why we stand for the Anthem and Flag presentation, to honor soldiers who have fought and died for this nation. The few who are stretching, sitting, and goofing-off need a vacation from playing, and loss of pay, for a while. There's no good excuse for that behavior.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
In some circles, yeah.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 09:59 PM

One thing that bugs me is how taking a knee is a-ok in the eyes of the NFL, yet when some players wanted to pay tribute to those who died on 9/11 they threatened heavy fines and other penalties. So much for the "we care about free expression" thing. As in so many other cases, they're pitifully inconsistent.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2017, 10:14 PM

Part of the issue I have with the claim free speech is under attack is corporate employees don't get free speech.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2017, 11:10 PM

I heard someone say it, I forget who but Trump has gone after the NFL's billionaire owners. Billionaires don't like being told what to do.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Part of the issue I have with the claim free speech is under attack is corporate employees don't get free speech.
That's why I think the "take a knee" initiative is just bungled corporate strategy, not grassroots activism.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 11:15 PM

You know what billionaires hate more than "being told what to do"? Losing 100s of millions of $$, and that's where they're heading.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 04:55 AM

The evidence would seem to show that they hate being told what to do even more than losing some cash. Probably not as much cash as that, unless you mean altogether rather than each.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
You know what billionaires hate more than "being told what to do"? Losing 100s of millions of $$, and that's where they're heading.
WAPO article quotes Nielsen rating are down 11% from last year, and they were lower last season as well.
45/47

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 08:53 AM

I feel for the plight of the poor American Christian. Maybe someday we’ll have a Christian President...or you know, 45 of them in a row.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 09:06 AM

And FTR it’s never been about “disrespecting” the flag or military veterans. As the Fox News crowd collectively sets its hair on fire without mentioning a word about the fact that Kaepernick started kneeling as a way to take a stand against a judicial system that continues to allow this sort of thing with impunity ... well then suffice it to say that is part and parcel of the problem.

#JustShutUpAndPlayBall

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 09:21 AM

WAPO article quotes Nielsen rating are down 11% from last year, and they were lower last season as well.
And you certainly shouldn’t assume this is necessarily due to a backlash against player protests. A group of African-American pastors have been organizing a boycott of the NFL in the black community (and anyone else of supportive of the cause) in solidarity with Kaepernick because he’s obviously not being signed to a team as a starter or a backup in retaliation for the stand he’s taken. You may not be aware of it and that’s fine. But I can assure you that we are because it’s been going on for months. And while it’s certainly not universally being adhered to even among those who are supportive of the goal of seeing Kaepernick get signed ... it definitely has widespread support. And that was before Trump decided to inflame an already racially tense situation by ginning up an all-white crowd in Alabama with his “son of a bitch” comment about black players in the NFL and NBA.

#BlackOut

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 09:25 AM

I feel for the plight of the poor American Christian. Maybe someday we’ll have a Christian President...or you know, 45 of them in a row.
Good, so you'll make sure to tell all blacks to stop protesting since they had a president for 8 years?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 09:26 AM

And FTR it’s never been about “disrespecting” the flag or military veterans.
Yes, it is. That's the whole point of the honor guard presenting the flag. Get real. The fact you think "SoB" is specifically a racial reference is silly, too.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 09:30 AM

Good, so you'll make sure to tell all blacks to stop protesting since they had a president for 8 years?
Black President for 8 years = Christian President and Christian Majority for the entirety of our country’s existence.

It must be exhausting being so obtuse all the time to try and make a point.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The POTUS is advocating a corporation change the rules to stop speech from its employees. Yes, that qualifies as an attack on free speech.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 09:44 AM

True. Now find proof it's this issue causing it and not something more straightforward like, oh, cordcutting or problems with the quality of the product.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
True. Now find proof it's this issue causing it and not something more straightforward like, oh, cordcutting or problems with the quality of the product.
They’ve conducted polls the last few seasons and the number one complaint is commercials, not protests. Second largest complaint is inconsistent and intrusive officiating, thirdly the quality of games...namely Thursday Night Football matchups.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 10:28 AM

Black President for 8 years = Christian President and Christian Majority for the entirety of our country’s existence.

It must be exhausting being so obtuse all the time to try and make a point.
So many issues with the above (like how some presidents, like Washington, weren't Christian at all), but won't bother taking them apart here, not the right place. I will say that calming down is probably a good idea, personal attacks out in the Lounge are bad, because all you're going to do is raise your own BP.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 10:36 AM

My Facebook timeline (I don't post there, I only check it for family stuff) is littered with new NFL boycott petitions and memes, it's really striking. No one was talking about any of the games, they were only lambasting the NFL and, specifically the Titans, since most all of my family are (or at least were) Titans fans, with a few particularly nasty comments from my aunt in Dallas who had some unpleasant words for the Cowboys. I just checked and it hasn't died down a bit, either.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 11:54 AM

Obligatory "it's a joke" white text, no pun intended.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 11:57 AM

Jawbone, chongo hacked your account

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 12:01 PM

My Facebook timeline (I don't post there, I only check it for family stuff) is littered with new NFL boycott petitions and memes, it's really striking. No one was talking about any of the games, they were only lambasting the NFL and, specifically the Titans, since most all of my family are (or at least were) Titans fans, with a few particularly nasty comments from my aunt in Dallas who had some unpleasant words for the Cowboys. I just checked and it hasn't died down a bit, either.
I deactivate/reactivate my account several times per year since I hate receiving Facebook Messages, so I'm not sure what people are saying right now, but one of my friends had two of his black co-workers unfriend him on Facebook. He was confused about why, since he only posts scenery pictures and never says anything political, so he asked them why the next day at the office and their response was, "Our friends are unfriending all white people. It's nothing personal."

Regardless of what side you're on, that idea seems really, really messed up.

[EDIT] Living in the Deep South, I understand their frustrations, but things seem demonstrably worse in the last ten years, so I'm not sure that's any kind of a solution at all. I blame the festering of news on social media for much of the restlessness.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 12:06 PM

“I can deal with the NFL employing and enabling woman abusers, I can deal with the billionaire owners using hundreds of millions of dollars of tax money to build their stadiums, I can deal with the league sweeping brain injuries under the rug for decades, I can deal with the NFL charging the US Army for their “salute to service” days, I can deal with a parade of terrible QBs making games nearly unwatchable and I can deal with a flag being thrown on every other play....players taking a knee during a song we hear a million times a year? THAT MAKES ME MAD BOYCOTT NFL!!!!“

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 12:07 PM

14 were Free Masons
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 12:13 PM

“I can deal with the NFL employing and enabling woman abusers, I can deal with the billionaire owners using hundreds of millions of dollars of tax money to build their stadiums, I can deal with the league sweeping brain injuries under the rug for decades, I can deal with the NFL charging the US Army for their “salute to service” days, I can deal with a parade of terrible QBs making games nearly unwatchable and I can deal with a flag being thrown on every other play....players taking a knee during a song we hear a million times a year? THAT MAKES ME MAD BOYCOTT NFL!!!!“
You're right. For many this was the last straw, good observation.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 12:18 PM

Saw this story linked on Daring Fireball. I'll copy the same quote Gruber pulled:

Eric Reid, former teammate of Colin Kaepernick, in an op-ed for The New York Times:

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.
Reading that settles my discomfort quite a bit.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 12:27 PM

All you really need to do is read the comment section on literally any article on this topic and you'll get a better understanding of exactly how racist people in this country still are. No matter how much we try to sugar coat it, or say to simply move on... it's just not that simple. The amount of animosity, seething rage and complete and total disdain for any black person who dares speak up about anything is depressing and sad.

It's impossible for me to really understand just how difficult all the "rah-rah USA" stuff must be for someone who's ancestors were brought into this country as literal property, but I imagine if I was in their shoes, I would have deep conflicted feelings about what it means to be a proud American as a black person.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2017, 12:31 PM

14 were Free Masons

Conversations with you would be less frustrating if you acknowledged points, rather than just meandering off in a different direction as if that point never existed.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
All you really need to do is read the comment section on literally any article on this topic and you'll get a better understanding of exactly how racist people in this country still are. No matter how much we try to sugar coat it, or say to simply move on... it's just not that simple. The amount of animosity, seething rage and complete and total disdain for any black person who dares speak up about anything is depressing and sad.
There are some, but if you aren't seeing the seething rage from other side, as well, you're being wilfully blind. The anti-white vitriol is at least as bad, even directed at people who are sympathetic (making them less so). We're right at the cusp of an all-out race war in parts of the USA.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 12:35 PM

I think it’s a really stupid breaking point, but I won’t argue with the NFL being on the decline for a lot of good reasons.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Saw this story linked on Daring Fireball. I'll copy the same quote Gruber pulled:

Eric Reid, former teammate of Colin Kaepernick, in an op-ed for The New York Times:

Reading that settles my discomfort quite a bit.
That's my thing, historically isn't bending the knee a sign or respect or submission? It's why I don't think it was about the knee, but who was doing it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 01:23 PM

I found this column to be particularly insightful ...

In a poll, whites were asked whether the NFL players kneeling in protest during the national anthem are helping or hurting the cause of racial justice. No fewer than 85 percent said they are hurting it.

Clearly, this offense to the anthem and the American flag is the worst possible way to change minds. Blacks need to find a less divisive means to register their discontent.

Oh, wait. I’ve got that wrong. Those figures don’t come from a new poll. They come from a survey taken in 1966 asking whites whether “the demonstrations by Negroes on civil rights have helped more or hurt more in the advancement of Negro rights.”

Only 15 percent of whites surveyed thought those peaceful protests would advance the cause of integration and equality. Martin Luther King Jr. and his nonviolent methods are honored even by conservatives today, but in 1967, half of whites said he was harming blacks, with only 36 percent disagreeing.

In many respects, the country has changed a lot since then — partly because of those unpopular demonstrations. What has not changed is that whites generally resent organized efforts by African-Americans to raise grievances and seek change. Last year, a Reuters poll found that 63 percent of whites disapproved of NFL players kneeling during the anthem — compared with 17 percent of blacks.

The Black Lives Matter movement is also unpopular among whites. Only 35 percent hold a positive view of it, according to a recent Harvard-Harris poll, compared with 83 percent of blacks. The negative opinions could be attributed to the noisy, disruptive marches the group has held or to the occasional outbreaks of violence that have resulted. The killing of five Dallas police officers at a Black Lives Matter demonstration last year (by a gunman unconnected to the group) also alienated a lot of people.

But if you don’t like how Black Lives Matter pursues its agenda, you should welcome the NFL players’ approach. It’s silent; it’s not disruptive; and it’s entirely nonviolent. It doesn’t block traffic, occupy police or frighten bystanders.

Critics say it’s disrespectful to the flag, but no flags are harmed — and it could be taken as a form of respect for the flag to mutely signal your belief that the ideals it represents are not being realized.

That the display evokes so much fury and disgust among whites, from the president on down, confirms what was evident 50 years ago. The problem is not how blacks raise their complaints about American society; it’s that they raise them.
Why do whites oppose the NFL protests? | ChicagoTribune.com

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 01:35 PM

Yes, it is. That's the whole point of the honor guard presenting the flag. Get real.
Since you want to talk about “getting real” ....

Late last month, as the country was only just becoming consumed by Colin Kaepernick, Tom E. Curran of Comcast Sportsnet New England reported that, actually, NFL players did not typically stand for the national anthem until 2009. Somehow this escaped many of us until, uh, Stephen A. Smith highlighted it this morning on First Take.

Responding to a tip from one of his "boys," Smith brought up the fact that until 2009—eight years and a new Presidential administration after 9/11—players weren't on the field for the national anthem and instead generally remained in the locker room. According to Smith's boy (and the researcher at ESPN who checked it), the switch happened "because it was seen as a marketing strategy to make the athletes look more patriotic."

Here's what Curran had to say on August 29th:

It's a tribute to the NFL's ability to drape itself in the flag that nobody even realizes that – prior to 2009 – players being on the field for the national anthem wasn't even standard practice.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed this morning the practice began in 2009, adding, 'As you know, the NFL has a long tradition of patriotism. Players are encouraged but not required to stand for the anthem.'
Add in the fact that the NFL received millions of taxpayer dollars from the Department of Defense and the National Guard for patriotic displays, and it puts the entire Kaepernick hullabaloo in a different light. "Fans should have confidence that their hometown heroes are being honored because of their honorable military service, not as a marketing ploy," Senator John McCain, the Vietnam War veteran and P.O.W., said in a statement last year coinciding with "Tackling Paid Patriotism," a joint oversight report released by McCain and his fellow Arizona Republican Senator John Flake.

Wherever you stand, or kneel, on Kap's protest, it's clear he hasn't disrupted some longstanding NFL tradition of honoring the flag or the troops
Stephen A. Smith Points Out NFL's Paid Patriotism Problem | ViceSports.com

But go ahead. Keep talking what you THINK and not what you KNOW.

Originally Posted by Cap’n Tightpants
The fact you think "SoB" is specifically a racial reference is silly, too.
Yeah well given Trump's history ... including being the premier purveyor of that racist "birther" nonsense that put him on the political map to begin with ... what's silly is your refusal to acknowledge the very obvious patterns in the man's behavior and messaging. But what did John McCain's 2008 Senior Campaign Strategist and Advisor have to say about it?

STEVE SCHMIDT: I mean, look, [the Republican leadership] stand with him at this point because they're cowards. I don't know what else to say as they watch the degradations to our flag, to our system, to the constitution. Those that won't stand up and fight back, I don't have a word to describe my contempt for them.

And I want to be clear about something. I saw a handsome young man on TV, an NFL player, he got a little bit jammed up when the reporter asked him a question, is he a racist? He didn't want to say it. So let me say it. I want to help him out. He's a racist.

You look at that speech in Alabama to an all-white crowd, we need to get real about this in this country. The president of the United States goes down there, he talks about "us" and "those people". He came proverbially as close as you could possibly come to shouting at a rally the 'n-word.' That's what he did down there. I know it. You know it. Harold [Ford Jr.] knows it. We all know it. And for the Republican party, and its leaders, for every decent American, we're coming up on the line where enough is enough with this. What he's doing to the country is tragic. The resilience of the country and the eloquence of LeBron James, and God bless him...

What's LeBron's got right about this is this. It's not his flag. It's my flag. It's our flag. That flag stands for the solider and for the protester. We all live under its magnificence. It's the most powerful symbol of the greatest ideals that have ever been put to paper by the mind of man in all of human history. We're not a perfect people; we're not a perfect country, but our ideals are as near as to perfect as can be.
And to watch the assault on them everday from this president, what it will do in time is it will rally the American people. It will rally a generation. And I don't care -- Republicans, Democrats, independents, left-handed vegetarians -- people will rally to the flag and to the ideals of this country over time.

STEPHANIE RUHLE, MSNBC: Are we a racist nation? Why is America allowing the president to reframe this nonsense?

SCHMIDT: 35% approval on his best day. We need to stop pretending that he represents a majority of the American people. He does not. He never has. He lost the popular vote. He won by 78,000 votes across three states with an inside straight. This does not represent the majority of the American people. It doesn't.
Steve Schmidt: Trump Came As Close As You Can To Shouting 'N-Word' At Alabama Rally | RealClearPolitics.com

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 27, 2017 at 02:26 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 01:37 PM

I found this column to be particularly insightful ...

Why do whites oppose the NFL protests? | ChicagoTribune.com

OAW
Bingo. As a nation we hated the civil rights movement. So reading anything into disapproval of current peaceful protests is folly.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 03:39 PM

OAW FTW, players stayed in the locker room until 2009 when they were coerced outside for better optics for the league.

I'm sure all these outraged keyboard-warriors stand at attention before kickoff and aren't slumped in an easy chair with a Bud Light in one hand and a hotwing in the other. Once they see a black man take a stand they turn into Steve Rogers.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 03:41 PM

^^^^

Not a Bud Light and a hot wing!

OAW

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 03:41 PM

14 were Free Masons
I'll bookmark this for the next time the topic of "America was founded as a Christian Nation" gets brought up.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 04:09 PM

Pivoting from the usual hot button topic argument that seems to dominate the sports thread I'm going to talk about....some sports!

---------------------
Is Larry Fitzgerald the best WR currently in the NFL? I don't get to see a lot of Cardinals games but when I do he always balls the hell out. He gets separation without pushing off, is a magical route-runner, and has two black-holes for hands. At age 34 he makes great young receivers look inconsistent. He should come to NE to get his ring

The Redskins have a defense now. Unless the Raiders forgot entirely how to football that game was an impressive show of fast and physical defense just smothering what some considered to be one of the best O-lines around.
---------------------

Pivoting back to the "why is the NFL losing viewers" sub-topic:

Thursday Night Football should have been a boring match between the woeful 49s and Rams. Instead it was brilliant. Back-and-forth offensive and defensive stands, special teams fumbles and a perfectly executed onside kick, textbook really. It gave the 9ers the ball at midfield with a couple minutes left needed a TD to tie the game. They get themselves in a 3rd and 10 and convert a quick out to the marker. 1st down...."there's a flag on the play". OPI, they show the replay aaaaaaaand nothing, defender and receiver were tight but the catch was because of a nice cut, not impeding the DB. Do they show a better angle? Nah, they obviously avoid pointing out what just happened and the 9ers get 10 yards AND loss of downs. 4th and 20, the game is over because of a horseshit phantom call. Since it was the only game, the r/NFL game thread was packed, fans of every team. Everyone was ripshit, everyone hates commercials every three seconds and how the refs become the focal point of the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 04:43 PM

Also the NCAA news kinda got buried

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 05:42 PM

Since you want to talk about “getting real” ....

But go ahead. Keep talking what you THINK and not what you KNOW.
You're confused, again, but that's okay. *pat *pat* Teams were standing for the Anthem long before then, it's only been strongly recommended since 2009. Before 2009 teams often stayed on the locker room before the Anthem, but if they were on the field beforehand, they stood with the rest of the people in attendance, like normal Americans do.

You can try to act like it isn't a tradition, and the journos on the left can manipulate the truth all they want <--- (even Snopes, biased towards the Left as they are, admits that your spin is, at best, a half-truth), but it changes nothing. It's a stupid protest and they're ignorantly targeting the wrong people, those who deserve the highest levels of respect we can offer, because they risked their own lives for all the rest of us.

Aside from the kneeling BS in England, I don't care who does it, but I *DO* think the people stretching, sitting, making rude gestures (WTF?!), and generally goofing off while we pay our respects deserve to be heavily fined, if not suspended for a game or two. That's simply beyond the pale of decency.

Oh, and seeing people play the race card is laughable, because players of all colors were condemned, and now it's reached a point where no one cares if it's used (except for those waving it). It's like a Visa card way past its limit, worthless.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 05:43 PM

I'm sure all these outraged keyboard-warriors stand at attention before kickoff and aren't slumped in an easy chair with a Bud Light in one hand and a hotwing in the other. Once they see a black man take a stand they turn into Steve Rogers.
You can't help yourself, can you? You need help.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 05:48 PM

I'll bookmark this for the next time the topic of "America was founded as a Christian Nation" gets brought up.
Knock yourself out, but that hasn't come up in over a decade (because everyone who's left knows better).

Forum Links
Forum Rules