Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SMB Queues In An Enterprise...For Multiple Users

SMB Queues In An Enterprise...For Multiple Users
egadsby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 11:59 AM

Dear Friends,

I am working in a higher ED IT shop that is primarily Windows based. In an attempt to implement a pay-for print system we need to have SMB based printing working on our Macs. Under Tiger we have been able to use this syntax to create a queue:
smb://domain/username:password@server/share

Thus creates the problem, the queue is “bound” to that user. When a new user logs in using the Active Directory plug-in jobs are still sent from the user who created the queue instead of the user who really sent the job. This makes it impossible to accurately implement pay-for-print.

How might this be corrected? Is there a better way to create this queue or is there a simple script we could implement that would add the printer after log-in? None of us have much experience with UNIX scripting so a sample would be exceptionally helpful!

Thanks in advance!
( Last edited by egadsby; Nov 9, 2005 at 12:23 PM. )
Peace, Love, & Understanding,
Eric Thomas Gadsby
Goucher College’s Departments of Art and Science
[email protected]

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2005, 01:43 PM

What happens if you remove the "username : password:"? (I put the space in because of a smiley)

I'm not sure but I thought that Mac OS X would pop-up a dialog box asking the user to input their username and password to use the printer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules