Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google Reader axed, seven more services given the boot

Google Reader axed, seven more services given the boot
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 13, 2013, 08:22 PM

Google, in its annual "spring cleaning" effort, has revealed the impending closure of eight services. Programs and offerings affected over the next few months are the GUI builder for Apps Script, depreciation of the CalDAV API, discontinuation of the Google Building Maker, cessation of Google Cloud Connect, support termination for the Google Voice app for BlackBerry, cancellation of the Search API for Shopping, and no more updates provided for the Snapseed Desktop for Macintosh. Most notably, the widely-used RSS app Google Reader is being retired on July 1 as well.

Google admits the Google Reader product has a "loyal following" on the blog noting the service closures. The search engine recommends that "users and developers interested in RSS alternatives can export their data, including their subscriptions, with Google Takeout over the course of the next four months." Users have taken to the web to react to the discontinuation with harsh criticism of the company. The blog post does mention other Google services that supplant the discontinued ones in most cases. The CalDAV API has been replaced for most developers by the Google Calendar API. Google Building Maker has had most of its functionality replaced by the Google Map Maker. Google Drive is a cross-platform replacement for the Windows-only Google Cloud Connect. No specific replacements have been named for Google Reader, the Search API for Shopping, the Macintosh Snapseed Desktop, or the GUI Builder for Apps Script.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 14, 2013 at 03:38 AM. )

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2013, 08:48 PM

Dear Google: thanks for killing off that excellent photo-editing software you only JUST bought from Nik Software only to kill it. I'm sure there was nobody -- certainly not the hundreds of thousands of iOS users who love Snapseed for that platform -- that wanted to use that program on their Macs. What a silly idea.

It couldn't have been anything to do with the fact that you were charging $20 for the Mac version versus nothing for the iOS version. I guess we can expect you to shut down Snapseed entirely soon.

If you take a good look at the stuff that's being cut versus the stuff that is being cut because replacements have supplanted it, you get a VERY clear picture of how Google decides what to cut. Hint: it's nothing to do with how popular it is.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2013, 10:12 PM

I've been a loyal Google Reader user for years, and even though Google took out the social networking features it has still been the best reader app. Now what am I going to do?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 03:06 AM

Trust Google only as far as you can throw them?

If there's no advertising monetization in it, it's not a deal for Google.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Trust Google only as far as you can throw them?

If there's no advertising monetization in it, it's not a deal for Google.
Yup...Google probably expects everyone to use FaceBook in place of RSS but I refuse to get a FB account as I trust them less than I trust Google.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2013, 12:46 PM

I barely use them. There are so much craps in Google labs that only a small handful are useful. In another unrelated upcoming news, I expect Apple to discontinue Final Cut Pro X for good.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 12:53 PM

They've just completely relaunched the platform. Why would they discontinue FCP X?

darkelf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2013, 01:50 PM

depreciated -> deprecated. unless they really are reducing its appraised value due to wear and tear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules