Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What to do if "crash"?

What to do if "crash"?
sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2002, 02:47 AM

I had a window server crash in x the other day.. It happend while upgrading from 10.1.2 to 10.1.3 in the optimizing process while I started a first run of console and terminal in the same time. I could only move the mouse around the screen, but nothing else responded. Thought there where some process running in the background, since the hd was in doing something. iTunes where playing, but didn't go to the next track in list, and stopped in the end of the track. But I was pretty stuck, and desided to hit the power button for a reboot. Anyway, if things like this happen, how should I get the system back to normal without doing a hard reboot?
Suggestions?

Thanks

Sniffer gone old-school sig

amit_uttam
Apr 10, 2002, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
<STRONG>I had a window server crash in x the other day.. It happend while upgrading from 10.1.2 to 10.1.3 in the optimizing process while I started a first run of console and terminal in the same time. I could only move the mouse around the screen, but nothing else responded. Thought there where some process running in the background, since the hd was in doing something. iTunes where playing, but didn't go to the next track in list, and stopped in the end of the track. But I was pretty stuck, and desided to hit the power button for a reboot. Anyway, if things like this happen, how should I get the system back to normal without doing a hard reboot?
Suggestions?

Thanks</STRONG>
Have you tried force quiting? I mean you can force quit apps like iTunes or any others that you do not need and see if the system is responding...otherwise go to the terminal and use "top" and check for the processes that are hogging the cpu and just kill them....hope this helps!

sniffer  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by amit_uttam:
<STRONG>

Have you tried force quiting? I mean you can force quit apps like iTunes or any others that you do not need and see if the system is responding...otherwise go to the terminal and use "top" and check for the processes that are hogging the cpu and just kill them....hope this helps!</STRONG>
Thanks, but unfortunally the GUI didn't respond at all in my case. So I couldn't start/restart the terminal. The mouse did work thought.

Perhaps if it was possible to restart the window server some how, it could have helped..?

GUI freezes (like in my case) does happend now and then.. How do you guys handle it, without reboot?

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 05:12 AM

<STRONG>

Thanks, but unfortunally the GUI didn't respond at all in my case. So I couldn't start/restart the terminal. The mouse did work thought.

Perhaps if it was possible to restart the window server some how, it could have helped..?

GUI freezes (like in my case) does happend now and then.. How do you guys handle it, without reboot?</STRONG>
I have a small network of Mac's and PC's here, and I simply ssh into my mac (if it's having problems, or if I'm impatient) and kill the offending process.

Setting up ssh is kind of a pain to learn to a newbie (setting up passwords, RSA, DSA, etc.), but once you do, just "ssh -l LOGINNAME 192.168.0.0"

(obviously 192.168.0.0 would be your IP address) and it'll ask for your root password, enter that, and boom! Your in. top -u and then kill that sucker! Or heck, you could even shutdown your machine with "shutdown now"
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

sniffer  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2002, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by Metzen:
<STRONG>

I have a small network of Mac's and PC's here, and I simply ssh into my mac (if it's having problems, or if I'm impatient) and kill the offending process.

Setting up ssh is kind of a pain to learn to a newbie (setting up passwords, RSA, DSA, etc.), but once you do, just "ssh -l LOGINNAME 192.168.0.0"

(obviously 192.168.0.0 would be your IP address) and it'll ask for your root password, enter that, and boom! Your in. top -u and then kill that sucker! Or heck, you could even shutdown your machine with "shutdown now"</STRONG>
Unfortunately, I don't have a home network now.. All I have is my little iBook.. But your suggestion sounds like the path to go. But how good support is there for ssh on different platforms? Can I i.e. run it on OS 8, Windows and so on?

Is there other solutions as well? Secret key combination in X to restart Aqua or some thing crazy like that in OS X?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2002, 07:01 AM

<STRONG>

Unfortunately, I don't have a home network now.. All I have is my little iBook.. But your suggestion sounds like the path to go. But how good support is there for ssh on different platforms? Can I i.e. run it on OS 8, Windows and so on?

Is there other solutions as well? Secret key combination in X to restart Aqua or some thing crazy like that in OS X? </STRONG>
All of us have been bitching for something called "virtual console" access, which some Unix flavors offer. It dumps you into a command line after you press a key combo. I don't know if it's on Apple's feature list right now - they can't even get PPP fixed after all of this time. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 03:15 PM

<STRONG>

Is there other solutions as well? Secret key combination in X to restart Aqua or some thing crazy like that in OS X? </STRONG>
I'm not sure how well ssh is supported on different platforms, but I'm pretty sure you can download telnet client's which support ssh for different platforms and login to your Mac that way.

How to ssh

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Metzen ]
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules