Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should / Will DUSB iBook Power The Cube's External Speakers?

Should / Will DUSB iBook Power The Cube's External Speakers?
Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2001, 02:52 AM

I connected the clear round USB speakers that come with the Cube to my DUSB 500 iBook this morning thinking they oughta work. They didn't (work) but shouldn't they? (I was in OS X and had speakers selected in Preferences). Thanks Much

frido:mac
Nov 14, 2001, 09:07 AM

I always have these speakers attached to my iBook when working in the kitchen....:-)) They should work, but the max. volume is not too loud (something to do with the USB Port not giving out as much power as the ones on the Cube do....

Bye, Fridolin.

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2001, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by frido:mac:
<STRONG>I always have these speakers attached to my iBook when working in the kitchen....:-)) They should work, but the max. volume is not too loud (something to do with the USB Port not giving out as much power as the ones on the Cube do....

Bye, Fridolin.</STRONG>
Vielen danke Fridolin, alles gut jetzt. When I clicked the settings adjustment in the Sound Output Pref the sound came in.

SFDan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 08:08 PM

What about the G4 external speakers? Will they work as well?

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2001, 08:33 PM

If you are talking about the Sound Sticks, then yes they should work, if you are talking about the round "pro" speakers for the G4, then no they will not work, as they require a "digital audio" jack on the machine, not an autio out jack. Hope this helps you.

Anim8r

SFDan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 08:37 PM

Thanks, I was talking about the "pro" speakers.

So exactly how much quieter are the cube speakers when plugged into the ibook?

Originally posted by anim8ing:
<STRONG>If you are talking about the Sound Sticks, then yes they should work, if you are talking about the round "pro" speakers for the G4, then no they will not work, as they require a "digital audio" jack on the machine, not an autio out jack. Hope this helps you.

Anim8r</STRONG>

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2001, 11:36 PM

I haven't heard them myself, but I've been told it's barely audible on another machine.

The reason they are so loud on the Cube is that the Cube has extra power flowing to the USB ports.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2001, 12:00 AM

One thing I should have mentioned in my earlier post is I have a set of cube speakers that are extra from my 450 cube. I currently use them on my G4 533, and will be using them for my iBook as soon as it gets here. While they are not quite as loud from my 533, they are plenty loud for listening to music, playing games, etc. I cna have them turned up a little over 1/2 way in iTunes, and hear the music just fine in most rooms of my house (which is 2 story). Personally I would say that if you can't afford the sound sticks, or don't need music to be that loud, then the cube speakers would be just fine (provided you want the apple elegance). As for the volume being plugged into the iBook, I will post again tomorrow, and let you know exactly how they sound, but I can't see them sounding any different.

Anim8r

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: anim8ing ]

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2001, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I haven't heard them myself, but I've been told it's barely audible on another machine. The reason they are so loud on the Cube is that the Cube has extra power flowing to the USB ports.</STRONG>
"Barely audible" exactly describes the Cube speakers attached to my iBook before I touched the sliding adjustment bar in "Settings" in the Sound Pref "Output" tab. And that's all I had to do, just click on it...then their sound came in. Not like with the Cube, but definitely more volume than the internal speakers, just what I was after.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2001, 11:15 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I used the cube speakers this evening while watching a dvd on my new iBook. They sounded great! No complaints what so ever. The volume was not faint at all. The one thing you have to do though, is goto sys prefs, and choose them from the drop down box in sound, then all is well. Hope this helps.

Anim8r

Forum Links
Forum Rules