Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steve Job's Interview in Esquire

Steve Job's Interview in Esquire
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 06:23 AM

Man...they made him seem kinda like an ******* in the interview. I don't know...maybe he is like that.

Did anyone else read it?

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2003, 07:58 AM

no, but does anyone have a link to an online transcript? sounds like an interesting read.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Man...they made him seem kinda like an ******* in the interview. I don't know...maybe he is like that.

Did anyone else read it?
I didn't read it, but it is a common perception...

Steve really is someone of extremes, it takes a good journalist to et the balanced view. How can a vegetarian, meditating, world loving character become on occassion, so brutal in his use of words and actions to people?

IMHO, it is in this dichotomy of character that his genius lies.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I didn't read it, but it is a common perception...

Steve really is someone of extremes, it takes a good journalist to et the balanced view. How can a vegetarian, meditating, world loving character become on occassion, so brutal in his use of words and actions to people?

IMHO, it is in this dichotomy of character that his genius lies.
I hate to say this, but you don't become one of the wealthiest people in the world by being a "Nice Guy". You have to push, you have yell, you have to motivate, you have to show others that you are giving 100% and that you expect them to do the same or find work elsewhere.

If Steve didn't push so hard, Apple would have gone under long ago (like when Apple was in the red for YEARS) He is an extremely smart businessman and technologies.

You can be a good person and still push... much of the time, it's a person that pushes you that ends up making you a better person...

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by fourstarcltv:
no, but does anyone have a link to an online transcript? sounds like an interesting read.
Yeah it is not on their site. . . . It is the one w/ Arnold on the front. Go pick one up. . . . It is cheap, $3 magazine.

Anyways, I mean everything seem to went well until the end of the interview. Here I'll type up the end of it. . . . Before this was all about iTunes MS and how it was a better product and what not. . . . Also how Apple was not a media company, and that was that last question. . . .And thorough out the interview it seem like he didn't like the interview's question. Nevertheless the interviewer did write a pretty good intro about him before the interview.

"A few moments later, Steve Jobs reaches over and turns off the tape recorder. He seems uncomfortable talking further about this marriage between music and technology, and abou hit new partners, the record labels. I suggest that we talk instead about what it is that has moved him to get involved in the music business in the first place - I want to know what's on his iPod - but he demurs. No more interview.

'Thanks for coming out to California,' he says, extends his hand, and then turns and leaves the room."

-Esquire, July 2003 (Volume 140 No. 1)

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 9, 2003, 02:53 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 13, 2004 at 06:12 PM. )

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 03:20 PM

Maybe something to do with the threat of a lawsuit from Apple Records? According to their agreement, Apple Computer's not supposed to be in the music business.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 03:52 PM

Want to read a really good interview with Steve Jobs?

Read this one he gave at the Smithsonian a while back.

It's a bit dated (April '95) but it's one of the best Jobs interviews out there. In fact, I think it's one of the best interviews of anybody I've read.

I think it was right before he rejoined Apple but it gives real insight to how he thinks.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yeah it is not on their site. . . . It is the one w/ Arnold on the front. Go pick one up. . . . It is cheap, $3 magazine.
hey sure, would love to. except that issue won't arrive here in australia for a few months.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 05:50 PM

I just picked up the issue...

the interviewer must have been high...he sounded like a dork...I'm not surprised SJ left him in the end..."what the hell is this guy about"

Forum Links
Forum Rules