Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rockingham store wouldn't let me order a G5

Rockingham store wouldn't let me order a G5
SummitWynds
Jul 10, 2003, 05:05 PM

I went to the Apple store in Rockingham NH to put in my order for a 2 ghz G5. I filled out the screen as they instructed me to do and I got to the point where I had to choose what type of shipping I wanted. Since I wanted to pick it up at the store when it came in I questioned the sales person. He went back to his manager who told him that they were not taking orders. I had to choose shipping. Are all the Apple stores doing this? Has anyone been able to order a G5 to pick up at an Apple store? I left without ordering it and will just get one when they are available.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2003, 06:48 PM

It's not possible to order a computer online and pick it up in the store. It was never possible.

SummitWynds  (op)
Jul 10, 2003, 07:11 PM

I ordered my 17" PB with an online form that I filled out at the Rockingham Store and they called me when it came in. I was 5th on their list and 1st to get one.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 07:58 PM

You must have a lot of money to throw around.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
You must have a lot of money to throw around.

Yeah, computers cost a lot of money, especially Apple PowerMacs and PowerBooks. Uh.... what was your point again?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

SummitWynds  (op)
Jul 11, 2003, 07:46 AM

I work hard to buy the top of the line computers. Then again, my Macs work hard too! I sure couldn't work this well or make as much money with out them.

Laserbutt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 08:09 AM

Try offering them a deposit. Carry in cold hard cash - always works...

SummitWynds  (op)
Jul 11, 2003, 08:16 AM

I can wait until they are available in store to carry out. I am running a dual 800 right now, so the work is getting done I would order online and have it shipped, but by making a 45 minute trip to Rockingham I save $150 on sales tax. Guess I don't have that much money to "throw around"

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 08:59 AM

Why don't you want them shipped, exactly?

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Why don't you want them shipped, exactly?
We Massachusetts people often buy our toys in NH as it's so close and they have no sales tax... Ship it in MA and you get slammed with tax.

SummitWynds  (op)
Jul 11, 2003, 10:11 AM

Why not save $150 on Massachusetts sales tax? New Hampshire is 0%. Definitely worth the 45 minute trip for me.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2003, 11:34 PM

Technically you're required to pay taxes on goods bought outside the state, for use inside the state. Your tax form instructions explain this.

The out-of-state retailer is not required to collect the sales tax FOR your state - you are required to pay it.

Nobody ever does, though.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 12:58 PM

I also tried to do this with my MDD, because i wanted a custom order model that they don't do in store. SO i ended up gettings slammed with the tax.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Technically you're required to pay taxes on goods bought outside the state, for use inside the state. Your tax form instructions explain this.

The out-of-state retailer is not required to collect the sales tax FOR your state - you are required to pay it.

Nobody ever does, though.
Just an FYI to anyone who hasnt heard this already, though no one ever pays this tax, if you or your business gets audited, and they see you haven't paid up, then you're in big trouble.

Forum Links
Forum Rules