Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > MacSkinz

MacSkinz (Page 3)
macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by baglunch:
Will these styles "eventually" be available for the 17" powerbook? Is the wood grain, wood, or printed wood grain design on plastic (there used to be a real wood lid for the tiBook). Any new ETA on 17" macskinz?
17" MacSkinz are far less cost effective for us to manufacture because of their form factor. They need to be formed one at a time instead of 2. Because of this, they cannot share the same printed plastics that we create for the other, smaller sizes. I'm predicting that when we do release the 17" MacSkinz, the initial designs will be full patterns, solids, and composites. "Centered" designs will be impractical so we will wait to hear what customers request and go from there. Still no ETA.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by baglunch:
Will these styles "eventually" be available for the 17" powerbook? Is the wood grain, wood, or printed wood grain design on plastic (there used to be a real wood lid for the tiBook). Any new ETA on 17" macskinz?
Regarding "wood" MacSkinz, they are an infused and veneered plastic that looks pretty real. Real wood would have to be a veneer applied to the tiBook and I don't think it could wrap around the compound corners. Other than that, they could be CNC machined from solid hardwood but then your tiBook would be a heck of alot thicker and heavier. Only on the iBooks could I see some type of replacement cover being made of wood.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Hey, I'm a sportbike guy! Way to score points with CF!
My girlfriend said "who the heck would want carbon fiber?" I replied "you know, all those guys who drive crotch rockets and rice rockets". Besides they've been requesting it. I drive a 61 Econoline truck myself so I dig the more retro styles.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by macskinz:
My girlfriend said "who the heck would want carbon fiber?" I replied "you know, all those guys who drive crotch rockets and rice rockets". Besides they've been requesting it. I drive a 61 Econoline truck myself so I dig the more retro styles.
You could probably take a blank MacSkin and turn it into a REAL carbon fiber MacSkin by using this guide to teach you how to sandwich the Macskin with DIY carbon Fiber.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 03:00 AM

My girlfriend said "who the heck would want carbon fiber?" I replied "you know, all those guys who drive crotch rockets and rice rockets".
That's me! I hope it's real CF and not a CF design on plastic, tho!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
That's me! I hope it's real CF and not a CF design on plastic, tho!
It's the plastic but looks very close to the real stuff and besides we'd have to charge through the nose for the real thing. Only you would know the difference.

The same material that we use can be seen here:
http://www.getapplied.com/carbon-fiber-main-page.html

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 07:28 PM

It's the plastic but looks very close to the real stuff and besides we'd have to charge through the nose for the real thing. Only you would know the difference.

The same material that we use can be seen here:
http://www.getapplied.com/carbon-fiber-main-page.html

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2004, 07:56 PM

Is there a general ETA for the site coming back online? Another week or two? Six months? Anything would be helpful.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 09:14 PM

I am also curious...just got a new 14" and would love to skin it but you are closed right now
iBook 14" G4 933, 640Meg, 60GB, BT, APX

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 11:19 AM

Um

So

Are you going to open, or can we call your business DOA at this point? 2 months closed isn't a good sign.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 01:19 PM

Manufacturing a product is no easy thing. For ages now we have been working on digital printing directly on the plastic. Well, this feat has been accomplished, the final product looks great and is far more durable that our screen printed system. It is even chemical resistant. I don't want to pass the buck but many variables are outside of our control including suppliers, equipment manufacturers, etc... Sometimes I understand why manufacturing is going to Asia. Don't fret though, MacSkinz will always be made in America no matter how many hurdles we have to jump. As for the status of our company, it is going strong. All 3 sizes of the iPod should be available when we go live again along with the 15" PowerBook. I may even have the 17 done by then. Still no ETA.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2004, 06:43 PM

Hi,
Is there a way you can manufacture a clear casing for the Powerbook? I like to turn my Powerbook G4 into a clear Powerbook.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by buffalolee:
Hi,
Is there a way you can manufacture a clear casing for the Powerbook? I like to turn my Powerbook G4 into a clear Powerbook.
Say, that'd be wicked cool. Warrenty voiding, surely, but cool.

bfurtado
Mar 3, 2004, 02:45 AM

I have a 12" PB (My first mac ever!) and I have a slight case warp:
It can be seen Here

My local Apple dealer says it won't be covered unless it gets worse.
Anywhoo, I wanted to know if there were any aesthetic options that I could implement to 'hide' the ugliness? A macskin for the lower portion of the PB would be hard, I imagine, but I just wanted to know if it was in the works and if it would cover the 'hole'

Brian

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 04:48 AM

How about an aluminum pannel with the blue marathon logo in the center of it out of some sort of translucent material, so the apple logo lit up behind it and shone through?

Just a thought.

Dave

bonaccij
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 07:18 AM

I would like to see a top AND a bottom replacement. That would be cool. Then you would have a totally customized mac.
In the end, it�s all about the composition.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 09:53 AM

an anodized aluminum replacement casing wouldn't be a terrible idea, but it sure would violate the hell out of your warranty.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 10:30 AM

well i bought a tiskin...

i was so excited about the product.. just thought it was cool..

it got here and it doen't fit right.. not even a little, not even if i try to use aftermarket adhesive solutions..

in my opinion the best thing you can do for the powerbook series is redesign the cut as it seems to be completely wrong.

pvito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by datz:
not to diss your product, but i was excited b/c mac needs more SOFTWARE skins... like the 20 million skins at wincustomize.com

does anyone know of a website where i can get OS X skins?

in response to the question above... if i'm not mistaken, do the skinz totally replace the side panel? b/c there was also a clear skin, which wouldn't do much if it didn't just replace the panel
http://www.macthemes.net/

Doug,

I need a skin for my tibook that covers all my scratches!

Your site is down at the moment so I can't checkout your tibook skins...
Windows is so broken I can't even
believe it!

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2004, 10:35 AM

I am thinking about finding a way to transform my TiG4 into an acrylic G4. Might improve the airport reception. :-)

How does one go and find a mold for the cover? Hnmmm

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
well i bought a tiskin...

i was so excited about the product.. just thought it was cool..

it got here and it doen't fit right.. not even a little, not even if i try to use aftermarket adhesive solutions..

in my opinion the best thing you can do for the powerbook series is redesign the cut as it seems to be completely wrong.
Hello h00ligan,
The tiBook MacSkinz has been more than a pain. We had a batch of plastic that had too much shrinkage in colder weather and didn't realize it because we are in sunny California and produced them in the summer. The tiBook was only model affected because of the perpendicular sides. The tiBook also has external hinges and therefor has a more difficult trim line. When we release our new line that is produced differently, we'll see how the tiBook fairs. If it still has problems, we may discontinue it. As for your problem, please get back to us when we go live again and we'll take care of you.

Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by buffalolee:
I am thinking about finding a way to transform my TiG4 into an acrylic G4. Might improve the airport reception. :-)

How does one go and find a mold for the cover? Hnmmm
lots and lots of money can get you anything but to encase the tiBook in acrylic...

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by pvito:
http://www.macthemes.net/

Doug,

I need a skin for my tibook that covers all my scratches!

Your site is down at the moment so I can't checkout your tibook skins...
MacSkinz have NOTHING to do with software skins. As for tiBook MacSkinz, we'll see what the future brings.

Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by bfurtado:
I have a 12" PB (My first mac ever!) and I have a slight case warp:
It can be seen Here

My local Apple dealer says it won't be covered unless it gets worse.
Anywhoo, I wanted to know if there were any aesthetic options that I could implement to 'hide' the ugliness? A macskin for the lower portion of the PB would be hard, I imagine, but I just wanted to know if it was in the works and if it would cover the 'hole'

Brian
We have no plans on ever creating Skinz for the bottom of computers. There are heat build-up issues that could occur along with too many other variables. Even if we did create them, they wouldn't cover up your problem but would probably just emphasize it.

Good luck,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2004, 04:17 PM

Been wanting to post this for quite some time

In case anyone's wondering: the black Apple-X thingy is a vinyl sticker.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2004, 10:58 PM

I hate you. That's the one I was waiting for before the website went down...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2004, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
I hate you. That's the one I was waiting for before the website went down...
I got mine quite a few months back. Didn't find time to post it only.

Cheers!
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Arclite
Mar 9, 2004, 09:56 PM

I got a new iBook G4 for Christmas, and have been customizing every bit of it, right down to the boot panel. I'd like to get a custom MacSkinz, but the site's down. I hope to see the site back up soon!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 08:43 PM

I have a few questions, first off, ive been wondering how you apply these skins. are they soemthing you put under the case or a thin sticker that is very sticky on top of the case that will not peal easly

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 11:45 PM

No, it comes with these little round sticky things. I've had the same skin on for half a year. I pulled it off once and just put it back on, and it stays stuck.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 09:14 PM

As for tiBook MacSkinz, we'll see what the future brings.

Doug
www.macskinz.com
I'll second the need for Ti skinz.

Any ideas when you'll be up and running again?

cheers
"-Dodge This"

Phydeaux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 08:30 AM

Manufacturing a product is no easy thing. For ages now we have been working on digital printing directly on the plastic. Well, this feat has been accomplished, the final product looks great and is far more durable that our screen printed system. It is even chemical resistant.

have you tried sublimation? i am not clear on you entire manufacturing process...this may prove to be too difficult or expensive in the long run...but the results are pretty cool. also, how about lenticular? i know some folks who specialize in both fields.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Phydeaux:
have you tried sublimation? i am not clear on you entire manufacturing process...this may prove to be too difficult or expensive in the long run...but the results are pretty cool. also, how about lenticular? i know some folks who specialize in both fields.
Hey, lenticular would be neat...

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 10:12 AM

I'm not one to pass the buck but lets just say that our delay has been out of our control. It is VERY frustrating. Things are finally happening and we'll be up and running soon with more products than before.

As for sublimation, I wish it would work. The problem is that sublimation takes about 400 degrees for the ink to transfer where our plastic is formed at only 270. We've tried though and the results were ugly.

Lenticular would be great but I haven't found a formable version of it.

Thanks
Doug
www.macskinz.com

perbl
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 06:29 PM

No offense, but as long as you do not have any estimates except soon, as soon as..., in a while..., I do not have that much hopes for getting my skin for a long time yet, or am I wrong?

Phydeaux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 10:37 PM

Lenticular would be great but I haven't found a formable version of it.

Thanks
Doug
www.macskinz.com

we are in a middle of a project for the rest of this week...but if you are serious about the lenticular...we can make that work for laptops, towers, etc.

email me and lemme know.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by perbl:
No offense, but as long as you do not have any estimates except soon, as soon as..., in a while..., I do not have that much hopes for getting my skin for a long time yet, or am I wrong?
You are wrong. My problem is that every time I give a time for the reopening, something happens outside our control. It's best that I roll with the flow and push to get them back as soon as possible. MacSkinz are our only source of income so I want them back more than anybody.

Thanks,
Doug

raduga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 09:37 PM

Well whenever you are up and running again, I'll be buying one (I really like the idea of a carbon fiber AlBook)

I had this skin idea myself awhile ago, so I'm glad to see that someone is actually doing it.

One idea I had was a stencil or cut-out shape to go over the glowing apple. I think the apple is kinda lame, but another glowing shape or word might be very cool.

Good luck on your re-opening

Arclite
May 11, 2004, 04:57 PM

Even if you aren't going to be up for a while, could you at least put up a "catalog" of your current models? Maybe a PDF? I decided I wanted a Skin after the store closed, and I want to choose one now so I can order it as soon as possible?

My sob story: I put a different decal on the back of my iBook, one that was supposed to be safe for plastics, and it went on crooked. I lifted it up to reposition, and it peeled off a large bit of the iBook's shine! I need a MacSkinz more than ever, my iBook has lost most of its beauty due to this!

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Arclite:
Even if you aren't going to be up for a while, could you at least put up a "catalog" of your current models? Maybe a PDF? I decided I wanted a Skin after the store closed, and I want to choose one now so I can order it as soon as possible?

My sob story: I put a different decal on the back of my iBook, one that was supposed to be safe for plastics, and it went on crooked. I lifted it up to reposition, and it peeled off a large bit of the iBook's shine! I need a MacSkinz more than ever, my iBook has lost most of its beauty due to this!
That is a bummer. I can say that adhesive has been one of our burdons too. We are using a very high quality gummy style adhesive that does not dry. The problem lies in mass producing the small "dots" required to attach the MacSkinz. When cutting them out in quantities, the adhesive migrates back into itself and they turn into one big blob. We are currently having to create them one at a time as quickly as possible. It's one of the many things that consumers don't think about.

As for a catalog, our designs are constantly in flux as this is part of updating our production system. We have 12,15 & 17 inch PowerBook and 12 & 14 inch iBook tooling done. All 3 iPod form factors are completed. The G3/G4 is from old stock but we have just solved the problem that has been holding us back. I can also say that the new iMac has been solved and will be on it's way.

I am actually planning on opening the site at the end of today. Only the original and new syle iPods will be available at first as we have to make sure that our new systems work properly. We will introduce the other models on an incremental basis most likely beginning with a few new designs for the notebooks.

I am requesting that we do not get emails asking when items will be available. Each email that we answer takes time away from producing the products that the customer wants.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2004, 11:46 AM

Oh, sweet! Hey when will the... oh, right, sorry.

Don't think I'd heard anything about an iMac skin before, that's pretty cool. I'll have to get one made up for my buddy. Something slightly hypnotic that suggests he PayPal me a couple bucks each day. Also one for my parents, something about how everything's my sister's fault. And along those lines, when are you opening up your subsidiary site, EvilSkinz.com? Because people can be hypnotized by inanimate objects (the suckers). Er, not you, Mom and Dad, of course.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 10:07 AM

Just to let everyone know, I just opened the site again. Only iPod Skinz are available right now but iBooks and PowerBooks will be back soon.

I hope you guys enjoy our first run of designs. The intention is to present a diverse sampling to test the market.

A few notes:
iPods were never meant to have a Skin so there is a visible lip all the way around the perimeter, buttons and display. I know we are going to get flack for this so take note.

There is a hole for the display instead of a clear window. It would be virtually impossible for us to print, form and trim the Skin all the while keeping a window perfectly registered to the iPod.

Backplates will be available soon. With these, the iPod is completely encased inside of the design. They look awesome.

Each "PodSkinz" costs $12.50 but our site now has a $25 minimum order. The reason for this is to make each order more worth our time. We are a manufacturer not a retailer.

Visit our "news" link for more up-to-date information.

Thanks and I hope I pre-answered some of your questions,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 04:20 PM

I hate to make such a quick price change but PodSkinz are now $20.00 each with no minimum purchase. This increase was made after discussing with resellers the profit margin they require in order to carry a product. We as a manufacturer could sell them for less, but in all fairness to resellers, have to establish a reasonable MSRP. This should help get Podskinz on a store shelf near you. You won't have to pay shipping then so it all balances out. I hope.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

songoku912
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 11:18 PM

Glad to see macskinz back. I have a black one with the apple logo visible and I absolutely love it on my iBook. Extremely satisfied customer here, and I will be buying a new one for my soon to be purchased pb this summer

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 11:30 PM

Hey doug when will the other 4 g4 cases be ready all youu have right now is the orange blue fire (which i am purchasing as we speak!)

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 10:17 PM

Wow if you guys havent read my topic ' why mac skinz rules" read it these people are dedicated to custumer service they are sooo kind

Mac Whore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 09:39 PM

im glad to see its open but I am still waiting for the ibook section to open back up

perbl
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 05:22 AM

*Jumping around and waiting in anticipation for a skin for my powerbook*

Please, come back up with the PB/IB-skins

Arclite
Jun 20, 2004, 10:27 PM

That is a bummer. I can say that adhesive has been one of our burdens too. We are using a very high quality gummy style adhesive that does not dry. The problem lies in mass producing the small "dots" required to attach the MacSkinz. When cutting them out in quantities, the adhesive migrates back into itself and they turn into one big blob. We are currently having to create them one at a time as quickly as possible. It's one of the many things that consumers don't think about.
Yikes. That sounds horrible. I hope you get all your stuff back up soon, I can't wait!

Really, I can't!

Is it up yet?

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2004, 11:17 PM

Any word on the new 12" ibook skinz? I'd really like to get one (probably clear, but if the designs are cool enough, maybe with a design) to protect the new ibook that I'm ordering this week...
http://www.uberwald.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules