Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How many of you have tried to write a book?

How many of you have tried to write a book?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 03:01 PM

Curious I always find it interesting when I've met other people who like me, would really like to write a book but... never actually get around to finishing it...

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Curious I always find it interesting when I've met other people who like me, would really like to write a book but... never actually get around to finishing it...
I'm too busy running my busines. The internet. Maybe you have heard of it?

boots
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 03:35 PM

I think that, like, five or six people actually read my book. Of course, they had to. They were on the dissertation committee

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 03:58 PM

DP

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 04:00 PM

I am currently writing a dissertation, but have thought about writing a book many times...

In fact, I have the opening chapters of about 4 on my Hard Drive!

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 04:18 PM

Really? I rather enjoyed your book

"If it's broke, you choke."

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by boots:
I think that, like, five or six people actually read my book. Of course, they had to. They were on the dissertation committee
Same here. I feel sorry for those who had to read my thesis. Talk about dry material.

Scientist
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 05:58 PM

I hope to write a few before I kick the bucket.

Superchicken, what do you plan on writing about?
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 06:22 PM

I was very nearly finished in writing a script once or twice.

I havn't written for a few years now sadly, but last week i had a nice idea and have started to write 2 stories at the same time concurrenty, one is a prequel to the other one.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 06:35 PM

I wrote three chapters of a 22 chapter medical textbook last year.
Does that count?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Scientist:
I hope to write a few before I kick the bucket.

Superchicken, what do you plan on writing about?
Mine's kinda a niche book, I suppose. It would be very odd to explain. Think of it as a literary look into the lives, hopes and dreams of teenagers in a distant future who happen to have super powers, all this while the fall and redemption of humanity is happening in the background.

If that makes any sense.

Think Babylon 5 meets Lord Of the Rings, Meets Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Meets Brave New World, Meets Catcher In The Rye, Meets Final Fantasy 3 and or Chrono Trigger.

The problem is doing a good job. I like to think of myself as a good author, I also like to think of myself as a really bad author. Although I think I have a decent chance of doing a good job. The plot is very good, and very involved, and very tightly woven, it's all in my head. I am likely however to eventually enlist the help of at least one or two friends in certain areas. So we shall see how it turns out.

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 07:16 PM

I have pretty much finished one, and I'm not working on a second one.

However, I wrote the first one in hand writing and now I don't have the time or the will to actually type the thing to edit it.

I have talked to some people to type it out for me, 15 to 25 cents a page.. 400+ pages.

but so far, all the takers have backed out.

oh well, maybe it will be printed out when I'm dead. The second one however, is taking me a lot longer and I"m not as involved for lack of time. And soon I hope to start a doctoral program... so who knows when I'll get around to making these historical fictious stories true books.

Ken Masters
Banned
Feb 21, 2004, 07:24 PM

I've always wanted to right a comic book. The book will be called; the adventures are Legless man.

Great title hey?
It'll have a super hero with no legs, and the dilemma who will face because of it. He'll fight of baddies and save the universe all without any legs.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by history1me:
I have pretty much finished one, and I'm not working on a second one.

However, I wrote the first one in hand writing and now I don't have the time or the will to actually type the thing to edit it.

I have talked to some people to type it out for me, 15 to 25 cents a page.. 400+ pages.

but so far, all the takers have backed out.

oh well, maybe it will be printed out when I'm dead. The second one however, is taking me a lot longer and I"m not as involved for lack of time. And soon I hope to start a doctoral program... so who knows when I'll get around to making these historical fictious stories true books.
Hmm no fun hand writing... I don't think I could ever hand write a book... take to long, not to mention I'd change my mind all the time...

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 07:44 PM

I wrote one for National Novel Writing Month a couple of years back. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful either. May polish it up sometime.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 08:57 PM

I will one day write a book on the perceived changes in consciousness that occur with the exploration of spirituality. Not a religious work, but more of a spotlight on the kinds of things a person faces in trying to deal with irrational and strangely inspiring experiences commonly categorized as "spiritual."

There are lots of people who have scientifically inexplicable experiences, and I'm interested in focusing on how people who don't dismiss them attempt to integrate them into their understanding of their identity, their world, and a meaningful life. It will have a very down-to-earth, common man feel to it. In a broader sense it's about how we deal with the unknown, and the impact of those choices on the mind.

I figure I'll write it in my 50's. Maybe it'll just be a website with 1 hit per year.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 11:27 PM

My sister has written one book when she was very young (15 I think). Of course it sucked to no end, but it was really long.

Now that she's married she's writing a real book, even has a publishing company interested.

I've thought of writing a book but just never had an idea that stuck. I know I would want to do some sort of fiction, probably fantasy, and being a semi professional writer I'm sure I could do it... just waiting for an idea to materialize.

Oh, superchicken that is the worst book idea ever. Keep it simple, don't rip off tolkein.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2004, 05:50 PM

Every fantasy writer rips off Tolkien that's why it's fantasy. If you have an elf or dwarf you've ripped off Tolkien, that said I don't really borrow much from Tolkien, in fact only some of the felling would be similar, and one character early on fills a similar role to Gandalf but later on becomes far more identifiable. This will also come with an intended point and hopeful perception shift for the reader.
The whole book ultimately asks the reader to change how they read it many times before they can honestly say that they understand it hehe... always keep the reader on their toes.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 06:14 PM

I was going to write a book on sub-atomic particles and how they relate to nuclear fusion when dealing with new laser technology , you know how: like when you create a chemical lazer by exciting bromide in a solid not gasious state, which would yield 1 kilodroule per decaliter making it hotter than the sun....but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night...and I was just watching Real Genius.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
DP

This could be interesting. A literary view into DP -- now that is different. There are many, many a <ahem> video "documentaries" <ahem> produced all the time, but I have yet to encounter, say, a novel on the subject matter. Be sure to include lots of photos.
I, ASIMO.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
This could be interesting. A literary view into DP -- now that is different. There are many, many a <ahem> video "documentaries" <ahem> produced all the time, but I have yet to encounter, say, a novel on the subject matter. Be sure to include lots of photos.
DP?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2004, 10:51 PM

Every fantasy writer rips off Tolkien that's why it's fantasy. If you have an elf or dwarf you've ripped off Tolkien, that said I don't really borrow much from Tolkien, in fact only some of the felling would be similar, and one character early on fills a similar role to Gandalf but later on becomes far more identifiable. This will also come with an intended point and hopeful perception shift for the reader.
The whole book ultimately asks the reader to change how they read it many times before they can honestly say that they understand it hehe... always keep the reader on their toes.
Tolkien didn't invent either of those, or the fantasy genre for that matter.

Not that I haven't read any great tolkien knock-offs but I was citing the general style.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2004, 10:55 PM

I wrote a book and got it published (yeah!). I have a second one in editing now. I still have a couple more books sitting around here that may/may not see print.

I'd actually like to do a big, bloated Tolkien style book. One book. I like Tolkien and I'd like to try my hand at it, just once. (No 12 book series coughrobertjordanterrygoodkindcough)
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

John D. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I wrote a book and got it published (yeah!). I have a second one in editing now. I still have a couple more books sitting around here that may/may not see print.
I love how a Gorilla can just slap some crap together and make the publishers drool. People on the other hand toil for years and years often to get their works rejected.

biased? i think so.

tall and tan and young and lovely
tgfigw

boots
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:

I'd actually like to do a big, bloated Tolkien style book. One book. I like Tolkien and I'd like to try my hand at it, just once. (No 12 book series coughrobertjordanterrygoodkindcough)
ISBN? You've got me interested....

Kudos for not falling into the wind-bag fallacy. Just because it's short, doesn't mean it isn't told as well.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2004, 03:19 AM

Again I said it would have influences of tolkien. If you honestly want to you could read my bad draft of my rough draft of my first chapter from last summer and you'll see it's very different from tolkien. The main similarity between myself and tolkien is the fact that there are entire worlds inside one world that the story takes place in, and there are so many more things than the reader would ever know.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I wrote three chapters of a 22 chapter medical textbook last year.
Does that count?
I think most people skipped the 3 chapters on postmortem of male sexual organs. So it doesn't count.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules