Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > This one...or THIS one?

This one...or THIS one?
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 07:44 PM

Alright. I own a 15" 800 G4 SuperDrive iMac. No real problems with it. But i'm ready for a new portable. Now, i'm going to be using this for school/business purposes, and i'm going to need as much power as I can get to get things to run a little faster & smoother. My options are... grab a 12" PowerBook and keep my iMac for home use, thus enabling me to get out and about with my work in a nice compact form, but having my iMac as a form of backup, OR sell the iMac and get a very, VERY nice 15" Powerbook to act as my one and only Mac. These are the configurations and delemma's I'm enduring right now...

>PowerBook G4
-12.1�
-1GHz
-80 GB (4200)
-256mb ddr266 + 512 (crucial.com $122)
-GeForce FX Go 5200 (32mb)
-Combo (8 x 24 x 10 x 24)
-Bluetooth
-Airport Extreme Card
-BT Mouse
$1,663 + 122 = $1,785

or

>PowerBook G4
-15.2� Widescreen
-1.25GHz
-80 GB (4200)
-512mb ddr333 + 512 (crucial.com $140)
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (64mb)
-SuperDrive (2 x 8 x 16 x 4 x 24)
-Bluetooth
-2 Airport Cards (one for iMac which selling to parents)
-BT Mouse
$2,522 + 140 = $2,662 - $500(iMac) = $2,162

sooo basically...

A Difference of $377 which gets you...
-12.1� vs 15.2� Widescreen
-1GHz vs 1.25GHz
-768 ddr266 vs 1 GB ddr333
-32mb vram vs 64mb vram
-combo vs superdrive

So i'm giving my parents a good deal on the iMac, but that's because i'll still be able to drop by and use it (they're 5 mins away from me). These are also educational prices because...duh!...i'm a student. I would also love to be able to join in hardcore at the LAN parties i've started to attend, and the 15" sure would help out with Halo and UT 2004, but it's not a MUST have. Just a big WANT. Sooo, 12" and keep the iMac or 15" WS and "give" the iMac to the rents for $500?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

MM-o4
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 08:08 PM

the 15! If that helps you make your mind.
If you gaming get all the power you can afford. Also bigger rez/screen. Easy.
That said 2 macs can be very handy for multi tasking i.e. video compressing/rendering you still have another machine to use for what ever.

Enjoy

MM-o4
----------
BunkaDeFresh

Fothb
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 10:06 PM

I love my 12". I deliberately picked it because of its form factor. I'll pick it up and take it with me in scenarios where the 15" would have been considered too bulky and get left at home.

But the 15" does have some perks. In addition to the differences you've already listed, the 15" also offers these differences over the 12":

- Gigabit ethernet vs. 10/100
- Firewire 800 vs. 400
- PC card slot

Having just one machine to accomplish everything sounds like what you'd most like to have, so the 15" is probably for you. Either way, we're really just comparing two terrific models and you really can't lose.

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 10:44 PM

I cannot stress enough how much i like having one computer. The fact that all of my data s with me all of the time is great. I bought a firewire backup drive and all is well.

I recommend selling the iMac and getting the nicest Powerbook you can afford with the biggest hard drive (they are hard to change).
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 11:20 PM

So just to add onto my original dilemma, should I be waiting for updates to the PowerBook line? The ones that are out now have been on the shelves since September (6 months), and I would think Apple would have some kind of update right around the corner (within the next 1-3 months). The last thing I want to do is spend all this money on a fancy new PowerBook and be outdated a couple months later. If the last group has had at least 6 months, then I want at least 6 months too, dammit! Right? Right?!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Kesey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 12:33 AM

If you are not going to carry the thing around on your back everyday the 15" for $377 more is a bargain.

As far as playing the waiting game goes - buy when you are ready to spend the money. If you wait 3 months thinking a new one is going to come out - 1 week after that (or less) rumors of the new new ones will start and you'll be wondering if you should have waited. If you wait, you'll wait forever, it's endless.

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 01:52 AM

Or, to add more fuel to the fire, you can now get a 17" Powerbook 1.33ghz for $2500 refurbed at the Apple store. Subtract out the 500 for your iMac and that puts you into the top of the line Powerbook for $2k.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 02:10 AM

yes! 17 inch! it's portable. really.

ok, it's heavy. but the screen is sweet. i personally would go blind on a 12 inch. but i don't tote more than once a month at most.

that said, i think sell the iMac and get the 15. it's the perfect compromise between a desktop and a notebook.

or, if you can sacrifice a little power, get the 12, and spend the extra money on a 17" screen.

or, do whateer strikes you that day. but do it when you want to, don't worry about the upgrades. my rev. A 17 inch is like a brand new G5 to me.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Frumpy:

32mb vram vs 64mb vram
hum, GeForce 5200 versus ATI 9600, really BIG difference, not only a MB VRAM issue there.

I have a 17" PB and is not really that heavy people think.

The good thing is that you will have silence.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 08:49 PM

15" all the way. Without a doubt. I personally use my PowerBook for spreadsheets and word, and some internet. And I found the screen size on the 15" is perfect. I also had a Rev A 17, and it is nice and all, and it really isn't that big. I was surprise at how nimble it really ways. But I realized that I wasn't using all the screen space. The 12" PB is cool, but I don't really like using Virtual Desktop.

The 80GB HD is really nice, plus the GPU in the 15" is a lot better.

In terms of new ones coming out, hard to say, only Apple knows when the new ones are coming out. Look at the G5 for example, everyone was saying the new G5 PowerMacs will be out in February. We are now in April and still nothing. Or even this current 15" PowerBook. The SuperDrive Titanium was launched in Nov 2002 and poeple were saying that the new Aluminium version will be launched in March 2003, then May, and July, and finally updated in September. Don't rely on Apple's update Cycles too much.

Just get what you could afford now. I wouldn't wait for the next update on the PowerBook. It could be June, or July, or even August. Another thing to consider is that the new upgrade will almost surely be another G4, unless Apple really really surprise us. Most likely it'll be a G4 7447+ running at 1.5GHz and maybe upgrade GPU again and faster HDs. So in terms of significant differences there really isn't any. For me another 250MHz wouldn't make that much of a difference.

So bottomline, you should be able to use the PowerBook you buy now at least until the G5 PowerBook comes out. And who knows when those will appear.
( Last edited by ae86_16v; Mar 31, 2004 at 08:54 PM. )
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 11:09 PM

And now for my newest concern. While I would love the 15", with the widescreen, the 64mb video card, and the SuperDrive, I would only have one Mac again. This is ok, BUT...one of the things I want to be able to do is do my work on this Mac, at remote locations. And while there is an 80 GB in the PB versus my 60 GB in my iMac, I have an overwhelming amount of music that takes up 28 GB. Yeah, I know, way too much. But if I only have one Mac, then my music is going to be taking up that space. Not to mention that out of 60 GB, I only have 5 GB available. This means that in my current position I would only have 25 GB available. Usually I keep all of my video work on a 7200 80GB external, but I was hoping that I could bring my work along with me. But with only 25 GB available, this might not work out. (For example, the project that I'm working on right now has over 20+ GB. What if my project goes over this amount? Does this mean that I'll have to delete some files just to fit more games and video? DAMMIT! I guess I could work on a portion of the project at a time. Right? Ehhh.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 11:13 PM

get an iPod? or a portable external drive...

RayK
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2004, 11:21 AM

Get an iPod. If you have to an external Maxtor USB 2 drive works wonders! I have the 5000LE and its very fast.
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2004, 11:30 AM

Well, as far as the external drive idea goes, I already have a 15 GB iPod, and i'm not interested in upgrading that anytime soon. I also have an external Western Digial 7200 80 GB, but it's a normal size sucker. The only external I found that was worth anything was the tiny fw 80 GB drive that's powered off the fw cable. It's on Apple's site, but it's $400. No way I'm paying that much for an external drive.

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 12:36 PM

Yeeaaah, so now i'm leaning more towards this idea, and tell me if i'm crazy...

I'll buy the PowerBook with the SuperDrive specs, minus the SuperDrive, keep the iMac 800 G4 that I have, and have both! Woohoo!

Specs would be:
>1.25GHz G4
>80 GB Hard Drive
(Is it worth the extra $112 to get the 5400 drive over the 4200?)
>Combo Drive
>512 DDR333
(I'll update the memory with another 512 from crucial, eventually)
>Airport Extreme Card
>BT Mouse

I can't decide how to hook this thing up to the internet at home, though. Should i just get an airport card from Apple (a standard one, not extreme) and use my iMac as a base station ($71) or get a wireless router from Lynksys (802.11g) with the four port switch? I would still be able to hook up my iMac and PC wired with that and have wireless G to my PowerBook, right?

This just seems like the better deal. I'm spending around $2300 anyways, so why not leave the DVD burner that I need in the iMac, and get a PowerBook to do the work on. This way when I'm burning projects, I'm not tying up my most powerful Mac. The superdrives in the iMac and PowerBook are the same speed anyway, so it's not like i'd be gaining anything in that department. Any thoughts?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 12:46 PM

Yeeaaah, so now i'm leaning more towards this idea, and tell me if i'm crazy...

I'll buy the PowerBook with the SuperDrive specs, minus the SuperDrive, keep the iMac 800 G4 that I have, and have both! Woohoo!

Specs would be:
>1.25GHz G4
>80 GB Hard Drive
(Is it worth the extra $112 to get the 5400 drive over the 4200?)
>Combo Drive
>512 DDR333
(I'll update the memory with another 512 from crucial, eventually)
>Airport Extreme Card
>BT Mouse

I can't decide how to hook this thing up to the internet at home, though. Should i just get an airport card from Apple (a standard one, not extreme) and use my iMac as a base station ($71) or get a wireless router from Lynksys (802.11g) with the four port switch? I would still be able to hook up my iMac and PC wired with that and have wireless G to my PowerBook, right?

This just seems like the better deal. I'm spending around $2300 anyways, so why not leave the DVD burner that I need in the iMac, and get a PowerBook to do the work on. This way when I'm burning projects, I'm not tying up my most powerful Mac. The superdrives in the iMac and PowerBook are the same speed anyway, so it's not like i'd be gaining anything in that department. Any thoughts?
If you get the linksys 4 port wireless you CAN plug your 2 desktops into them and still move around wirelessly on your Pbook. I do that at home.

I would get the SuperDrive. You can do backups to DVD, though you can always taget mode and do a backup that way. Also the other thing is if you are burning a DVD on your iMac and your parents want to use it it might be a little slow for them while the iMac is burning. You could get the Superdrive then you could burn from your Laptop.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 12:52 PM

No, no, no. I mean that I would keep the iMac AND buy the new PowerBook. This way I have my DVD burner in the iMac, and I don't have to spend the extra money in the PowerBook. Besides, my father just brought home a Dell that his job gave him. He doesn't NEED a computer right now. Lol. But this way I can travel and do my work, and come home to a nice desktop already set up. No need to keep connecting and disconnecting wires to the PowerBook when i'll have everything set up on the iMac when I'm at home. Mmmm, I'm loving this.

Fothb
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2004, 01:39 PM

No, no, no. I mean that I would keep the iMac AND buy the new PowerBook. This way I have my DVD burner in the iMac, and I don't have to spend the extra money in the PowerBook. Besides, my father just brought home a Dell that his job gave him. He doesn't NEED a computer right now. Lol. But this way I can travel and do my work, and come home to a nice desktop already set up. No need to keep connecting and disconnecting wires to the PowerBook when i'll have everything set up on the iMac when I'm at home. Mmmm, I'm loving this.
And if you're a .Mac subscriber, you can easily configure both machines to share settings and bookmarks... It could work out quite nicely.
There's a splinter in your eye and it reads "react".

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 02:48 PM

Yeah, but now I'm thinking that it could create a lot of hassle to have two machines. I think i'll go with my original idea of getting the SuperDrive built in, and selling the iMac to my parents. I can still use .Mac between the two. AND, I already have another fw 80 GB external that i can use if i start to run out of space. So the final verdict is...

>PowerBook G4
-15.2� Widescreen
-1.25GHz
-80 GB (4200)
-512mb ddr333 + 512 (crucial.com $140)
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (64mb)
-SuperDrive (2 x 8 x 16 x 4 x 24)
-Bluetooth
-2 Airport Cards
(one for iMac which selling to parents)
-BT Mouse
$2,522 + 140 = $2,662 - $500(iMac) = $2,162

BUT, i'm still going to wait until they update the line. Ya know, unless the tax return comes early and it burns a hole in my hand the size of Texas...forcing me to buy the PB with the specs listed above. Not that there's anything WRONG with that. Haha.

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 09:17 AM

Riiiight. So after countless nights thinking about how much money I would be spending on this new 15" PowerBook, I finally realized that I could get along with only the 12" as my sole Mac. These are the specs I was thinking about...

>PowerBook G4
-12.1�
-1GHz
-80 GB (4200)
-256mb ddr266 + 512 (transintl.com $99)
-GeForce FX Go 5200 (32mb)
-SuperDrive
-Bluetooth
-Airport Extreme Card
-Airport Extreme Base Station
-HP PSC 2175 All In One
$2,179 + $99 - $500 = $1,779

So i'll be getting $500 back from the sale of the iMac to my parents & $100 back in mail in rebates for the HP printer purchase with the new Mac. I figure I'll just get the base station and hook up the HP to the USB port for wireless printing. Should work, right? And I'm only going with a 512 upgrade in memory, seeing as how everyone wants $300+ for a 1GB chip. I'll wait a while for that. Sooo?

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2004, 12:49 PM

warning: i don't see your HP 2175 on the list of compatible printers.

i went through hell trying to get my all-in-one to print via usb, and it never worked.

i ended up buying a ethernet print server ($180) and plugged into the extra ethernet port on the airport.

if you haven't got a printer yet, get the hp 2510 and be done with it. no wires, all-in-one.

i was told by HP tech support, however, that you need to set up this printer using the ethernet port, but then once you assign the IP, you can let it run wireless on a mac network.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2004, 12:50 PM

oh yeah, here's the link to the compatible printers:

Airport USB compatible printers

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 10:06 PM

Alright, I actually already own a printer with support for Airport printing so for now i'll just keep that. As for the 12" PowerBook itself, should I be getting the AppleCare plan? I bought it on my current iMac, and of course I haven't had any problems. BUT, with a PowerBook you're portable, and there are a lot more worries to think about. But even under the educational discount I'd be spending $239 for a "just-in-case" situation. Worth it?

whoosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 01:52 AM

You mentioned you are a student and are eligible to pay student prices. Have you heard of the Apple Developer's Discount for Students? If you are into developing programs for the Mac, it's definitely something you should look into. You could save even more than with the normal student discount.

logicat2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 02:43 AM

I just "upgraded" from a 867 12" PBook to the 1.25 GHz 15" PBook.

Absolutely stunning in all directions.

Still, the 12" was actually a perfect size when shut or walking around with it in one hand. If the small portable need is greater than a CPU boost and lots of screen real estate, go for the 12".

But, if you're looking for the closest thing to a desktop in a small, foldable aluminum case with a magnificient screen then no doubt get the 1.25 GHz as a refurb from apple for $1,999.

Smalldog.com also sells apple refurbs with are technically not New, but still have the identical 1-yr. warrantee as a new PBook.

Good luck,
Logicat

logicat2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 02:44 AM

You have an entire year to think about AppleCare;the coverage is valid as long as you sign up within the first year of ownership.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 02:55 AM

Man... I'm in the same boat. I'm stuck between getting a 12in and a 15in for my semester in Japan next fall. While one of my room mates just ordered a 15in powerbook for his fall abroad, I'm leaning towards the 12in for a number of reasons.

1) Size make a big difference as a student.
2) Money: The extra money can be used for more RAM, a superdrive, and a maxed out HD.
3) The graphics card isn't an issue if you don't play a lot of games.

Though I also have the same urge to spend $300 more and get a nice 1.25 15in, but in the end the 12in will be more useful and have more and better upgrades for the money. Heck, I'm even going to buy a bluetooth mouse.

As to the waiting game, well, I'm sorta half waiting because I have no money after buying a Cannon S400 this wee, and I don't need it till next fall. man, I wish Apple would update the 12in!!!!!!!

Leo the 3rd
Apr 8, 2004, 07:20 AM

Go for the 15". Remember up to 2GB RAM can be added (if that is ever really needed), more screen real estate and better graphics card. Enjoy.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 10:07 AM

I vote for keeping your desktop, too. Sometimes it's just nicer to have the whole "desk" setup all in place and ready for work. It's also great for backing up (ie your music collection). Just my 2 cents. I have both and love it that way.

And while you have a year in which to get AppleCare, definitely do so. My screen went back in month 14. All replaced, all for free. And good service, too. In the meantime, for the first year, look at Safeware, i think it's called, which is for accidental coverage. I have that, too.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 02:32 PM

I've had a Dual G4 and a 12" PB for a few months. This was a great set-up, but the G4 got neglected. It basically became a back up tool (wake from sleep remotely and use Synchronize plus to synchronize files). The times that I actually sat down in front of it to do work were few and far between. It was so bad that when it died a few weeks ago, I removed the hard drives and placed them in a firewire enclosure and put the RAM in a Windows box.

What I'm trying to say is once you're on a laptop and wireless it's hard to sit in front of desk and do anything.

I'm happy with the 12" as a desktop replacement. The screen real estate is tight, especially if I'm working with Dreamweaver, Flash, or Photoshop. You could always get a separate monitor for the 12", but I plan on getting a 15" in the next few weeks (I'm also hoping for a RevB)
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 05:01 PM

Okay, so my had my dad over this weekend to help set up his 15" 1ghz Al Powerbook (which he hadn't opened since December )

With a fresh install and not a bunch of haxies like I have, his PB 4200rpm drive (768mb RAM) felt faster than my 12" 867 PB with a 7200rpm Drive (640mb RAM), but the real difference was the screen. The 15.2" screen is so much nicer than the 12"PB. My screen felt dull, darker, and blurry compared to the 15". The screen has tons of screen real-estate. The increased weight is negligible. It actually feels lighter probably due to the way the weight is distributed. It's also much cooler than the 12" (revA).
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 05:44 PM

1. Go for the 15" Powerbook. I just upgraded to a 15" from a Pismo with a 14.1" LCD and this thing just kicks its butt in every way imaginable. 12" is small, man... It's a powerbook, not an iBook! Think long-term, just because the 12" is cheaper (and still powerful), it's so small and you need adapters for video out, there's no PCMCIA slot, it's got 10/100 Ethernet... think in the long-run, man... Technology won't whiz by as fast with a 15" (Gigabit ethernet, pcmcia slot for future expandability, and Firewire 800)!

2. Apple Airport Extreme Basestation? Yuck. I'd get a LinkSys or a Dlink wireless router and save a good $50 at least.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 08:50 PM

Being slightly poor and cheap, I just ordered a 12in powerbook. It wasn't really a choice, as a necessity. My G4 broke this past week, so I figured I should get it. On the other hand one of my roomies just go in the mail Monday a nice 15in powerbook, which is very nice, but it doesn't work so well lugging around to class.

In all reality, if you want super portable, get the 12in with a superdrive and such. You only need a fast graphics card if you're going to be playing games, and if you're into games, get a desktop.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 09:04 PM

Um, you might want to cancel that order as they will be upgraded next Tuesday...
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 02:28 PM

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Apple should update my order (and a friends's order) to the newer model, which would explain why it hasn't shipped yet (it's been almost a week). At least I hope so. Damn, I'd be kinda ticked off of it shipped Friday or Saturday and came as a 1 ghz model, and then the new ones come out Monday or Tuesday.

Either way, its about damn time Apple updated their Powerbook line.

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 03:44 PM

Ummmm YEAH, i've finally decided!

>PowerBook G4
-12.1�
-1.33 GHz
-80 GB (5400)
-256 mb ddr333 + 512 (transintl.com $99)
-GeForce FX Go 5200 (64mb)
-SuperDrive (4x)
-Bluetooth
-Airport Extreme Card
-BT Mouse

$1,774 + 99 - 500 = $1,373

And that's the bottom line!

Forum Links
Forum Rules