Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What is the "skin" for the top of the ibook

What is the "skin" for the top of the ibook
wschultz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 11:06 AM

called and where can you buy it? I had seen it at one point but cannot find it now... there were several to choose from (flags, crossbones, happy face, etc). It "wrapped" on the top lid of the book.
Thanks.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2004, 11:16 AM

MacSkinz
www.macskinz.com

They're still closed temporarily though.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

vixi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 03:28 PM

I found someone on ebay selling MacSkinz. I've never bought from them, since I won't be buying my ibook til June.
http://stores.ebay.com/MacSkinz

Hope that helps!

- Vixi
http://www.escape.com/~juliet

wschultz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I hope they have the new site up and selling soon

strokemouth
Apr 27, 2004, 01:07 AM

I wouldn't recommend buying one of the MacSkinz. I have one on my 14" iBook (the skull and crossbones) and I regret putting it on. It looked AWESOME until I tried to take it off. A lot of the paint on the skin peeled off and is stuck to the iBook itself. Also, the sticky pads that weren't supposed to dry to allow for easy removal...well, they dried. And they don't come off my iBook either.

If you are going to put it on and leave it on, then it will be fine. Pretty solid design and very original looking. If you are like me and wanted to be able to remove it, then look elsewhere. It does NOT remove easily. My options are to pull it off permanently and find something to clean the paint off my iBook cover (wasting the cost of the skin) or just leave it on. I'm leaving it on until I get my PB.

macskinz
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 11:42 AM

Hi strokemouth,
I'm sorry to hear of your problem. We had an issue with a batch of black ink where the adhesion started to fail after awhile. This was only noticed when removing the MacSkinz from the computer so we didn't catch it. We have also been using the very best adhesive pads 3M has to offer and they haven't dried on us yet. It is that clear gummy stuff so all you have to do is roll your fingers back and forth across the tape residue to remove it. Our new production method involves infusing the image directly into the plastic so It will not come off no matter how hard you try. It is VERY durable and allows us to print virtually any image because of the digital process. The process update and issues with suppliers has postponed our reopenning but it should be soon. Look for the models we offered before plus the new 15 inch PowerBook, 17 inch PowerBook, and all 3 models of ipods.

Strokemouth, please contact us when we go live again so we can remedy your problem.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 12:14 PM

That's very reassuring to hear macskinz. Do you got any predictions on when your site might be back? I am hoping to buy one, one time in the future. Do you have something for the PB 12"?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by macskinz:
Hi strokemouth,
I'm sorry to hear of your problem. We had an issue with a batch of black ink where the adhesion started to fail after awhile. This was only noticed when removing the MacSkinz from the computer so we didn't catch it. We have also been using the very best adhesive pads 3M has to offer and they haven't dried on us yet. It is that clear gummy stuff so all you have to do is roll your fingers back and forth across the tape residue to remove it. Our new production method involves infusing the image directly into the plastic so It will not come off no matter how hard you try. It is VERY durable and allows us to print virtually any image because of the digital process. The process update and issues with suppliers has postponed our reopenning but it should be soon. Look for the models we offered before plus the new 15 inch PowerBook, 17 inch PowerBook, and all 3 models of ipods.

Strokemouth, please contact us when we go live again so we can remedy your problem.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com
Sounds like excellent customer service to me

strokemouth
Apr 27, 2004, 01:39 PM

That's really great to hear, macskinz, thanks a lot.

Like I said before, they DO look awesome. It sounds like any previous issues have been resolved, though, so that's good.

ShaneHale7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 06:51 PM

I've purchase 3 skins from MacSkinz. 1 for my Dual-450 G4 (2 yrs ago), 1 for my 12in iBook (1 yr ago) and 1 for my sisters 14in iBook (via e-bay, 2mo ago). I have found all of the products of the highest quality. I had noticed the change in adhesive from the 12in to the 14in. Figured there was a good reason for it.

Any how, great job. I'll be purchasing one for a G5 when i can get my hands on one of them.

Shane

rixter55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 10:34 PM

I keep a biohazard MacSkinz on my 14" 933Mhz iBook G4, which I take off everytime I fly. I don't care to risk having security zero in on the biohazard symbol as a reason to delay an already lengthy process at the airport. Everytime, the MacSkinz has performed exactly as advertised. No problems lifting the cover off the surface of my iBook, and no problems getting it to adhere to the surface again later. I've done this at least two dozen times. Still no problems.

It seems that Doug at MacSkinz is aware of problems in the past and is willing to work with folks who were disappointed with his products. That, to me, speaks volumes about the kind of business he is running. I recommend MacSkinz whole heartedly, and am anxiously awaiting their resurrection. I really want to get a new design that I can feel comfortable going through security with. The biohazard symbol is so great, and is very eye catching, but just screams "STRIP SEARCH ME!!!!" at an airport, or international border.
20" iMac G5 2GB RAM, 933Mhz 14" iBook G4 640MB RAM.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 12:32 PM

I love my red flames MacSkinz.

Plus I stuck a Jolly O Pirate vinyl sticker on it.

Proud of my iBook
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

iFlygirlaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 02:10 AM

I do hope you put more designs in for us ladies. I like the pink flames, but they seem to be sold out at the moment. Also, have you given any thought to selling matching mouse pads or wall paper? j/c. You know us ladies gotta co or din ate.

Forte
Forum Regular
May 2, 2004, 02:35 AM

I can't believe I haven't heard much about this before. O_o;;
Say, will there be a way to order custom designs? That is, have a self-designed image on a skin? Many game-console-skinning establishments offer these, is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible with a MacSkin? ^^;;

macskinz
Forum Regular
May 2, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by iFlygirlaa:
I do hope you put more designs in for us ladies. I like the pink flames, but they seem to be sold out at the moment. Also, have you given any thought to selling matching mouse pads or wall paper? j/c. You know us ladies gotta co or din ate.
Our new process opens the door for any design we choose. We are no longer limited by the printing process and have quite a few more feminine designs completed and waiting for production. Look for them to appear shortly after our relaunch. I also will have 1280 x 1024 jpegs of many of our designs available to be made into wallpaper. Some of the stock photography images are restricted to print though.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz
Forum Regular
May 2, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Forte:
I can't believe I haven't heard much about this before. O_o;;
Say, will there be a way to order custom designs? That is, have a self-designed image on a skin? Many game-console-skinning establishments offer these, is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible with a MacSkin? ^^;;
Custom MacSkinz will be available again also. This time around there won't be the limitations of screen printing. Almost every request for custom MacSkinz that we've had in the past has been for copyright images of another. I would think that since Macs are for the graphically inclined, we'd get more original art.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Forte
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by macskinz:
Almost every request for custom MacSkinz that we've had in the past has been for copyright images of another. I would think that since Macs are for the graphically inclined, we'd get more original art.
Say, it would still be possible to use copyrighted designs, right? Such as, say, for a gaming clan, fan-group, or somesuch (where the use of such images might be neccessary in a design)?

wschultz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 12:12 PM

Getting a new iBook soon... do you have an estimated date/month that the site will be up, running, and ready to ship??

cryon
May 5, 2004, 01:11 PM

I will get a nice skin as soon as the website is up and running again! they're awesome!
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

macskinz
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 02:02 PM

I would have to say "no". If we printed an image from a game, even a character, and then sold the custom MacSkinz to you, we would be turning a profit from the image and would need to compensate the creator. We could probably print the image and give it to you as a gift as long as we do not benefit from it in any way. I am not sure about an original image created by the customer that depicts a copyrighted image of another. If there is a lawyer out there that knows differently, please let me know.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Originally posted by Forte:
Say, it would still be possible to use copyrighted designs, right? Such as, say, for a gaming clan, fan-group, or somesuch (where the use of such images might be neccessary in a design)?

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 07:34 AM

Hi macskinz/Doug

It's really great that you're responding to messages in these forums, and it sounds like you're top-notch in customer service. Very reassuring to someone like me who is considering buying a macskin! However, I think the big question everybody has is "when will you be back online?"

macskinz
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the kudos! We are a very small company and do our best to make sure our customers are happy. I wish I could say when we will be online again but all I can say is soon. We are doing our best and hope our prospective customers can wait. If it was easy, we would probably have competition in the marketplace (although we do have a provisional patent) .

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Originally posted by joltguy:
Hi macskinz/Doug

It's really great that you're responding to messages in these forums, and it sounds like you're top-notch in customer service. Very reassuring to someone like me who is considering buying a macskin! However, I think the big question everybody has is "when will you be back online?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules