Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New ipod skins from Macskinz

New ipod skins from Macskinz
reybart
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 10:06 PM

Does anyone try to buy one of the ipod skins http://www.macskinz.com/cgi-bin/desi...all.cgi?page=E

If so any feedback?

Check it out! Backplate is already available! I just ordered the "pop art" skin and waiting to arrive this week!
( Last edited by reybart; Jul 5, 2004 at 06:27 PM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 10:53 PM

Man those are really tacky and ugly.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

macskinz
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
The intent of our first design release is diversity and what we currently offer cover a large market and look great. Do you have any design ideas? We are open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 02:06 PM

actually those look cool!
Hi!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 02:31 PM

Hmm, I likey Mikey. I never knew they were available for the original iPods. Heck, if I buy one, it may boost my 5GB's resale value--once the 4G's are announced.

FXWizard
Forum Regular
May 26, 2004, 03:03 PM

They look okay to me, but I don't like the fact that you can't use your iPod in the dock when you have a skin on it...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 04:34 PM

Having ahead the soccer Eurocup and the Olympic Games, you could include a more diversity of country�s flags.

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 02:40 AM

TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Talk2Angus:
Hmmm,
must be the concept. Our designs cover a large audience and I wonder how even the brushed aluminum or carbon fiber can be called tacky. I would love to hear some constructive criticism such as what designs would you like.

Also, the backplate tooling is done and they should be available in a week or so. We also just released a similar product for the iPod Mini that is a plastic "wrap". Check em out.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 01:04 AM

The carbon fiber ones looks really nice.

How soon before back plates?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2004, 01:05 AM

Some hopefully-constructive thoughts. The designs I like the least have lots of small elements repeated ad infinitum. The little hearts, little smiley faces seem juvenile--definitely not my style. I think the challenge for the iPod is that there's so little room to do something creative. So go simpler. I think the best designs are those that make interesting use of color. The wood grain, even the leopard skin look pretty cool for it. They focus more on an overall look than a confetti'd pile of shapes.

I'd go for stripes, simple patterns, tartans maybe. Sure trendy color combos. Shoot, open it up to a few designers, see what they can come up with. A good color scheme isn't a thoughtless thing by any means. But I think I'd find it more interesting than whatever icon survived life on a button.

For you, my two cents.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Ice33
Jun 5, 2004, 05:02 AM

Cammo, flag, and skulls? Some are OK but most would cheapen the look and design of the iPod. They remind me of the generic Nokia faceplates that were churned out and sold at mall carts. If I were you I would go for solid colors similar to the Minis. If you can make them wrap around I bet more people would buy those than smiley faces. That would allow for customization without ruining the look.

You would have to justify the price though. $40 bucks to cover both sides is not worth the investment to most people. You need to lover the prices of the back parts. No one is just going to buy those without the front anyway so it would make it more affordable to those who want both sides. What are they made of that would make them so expensive?
( Last edited by Ice33; Jun 5, 2004 at 05:08 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 05:45 AM

The brushed alu and the wood look nice. The others don't do anything for me. What would be cool to see would be different textures, make one look like concrete, or make one look clear with the iPod parts showing (an X-ray skin, so to speak). Having the choice to dock one's favorite sports team would also be kinda of cool. And maybe a living skin, showing internal body parts.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
The carbon fiber ones looks really nice.

How soon before back plates?
I'm guessing the 3G will be available in a week or two at the latest.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by druber:
Some hopefully-constructive thoughts. The designs I like the least have lots of small elements repeated ad infinitum. The little hearts, little smiley faces seem juvenile--definitely not my style. I think the challenge for the iPod is that there's so little room to do something creative. So go simpler. I think the best designs are those that make interesting use of color. The wood grain, even the leopard skin look pretty cool for it. They focus more on an overall look than a confetti'd pile of shapes.

I'd go for stripes, simple patterns, tartans maybe. Sure trendy color combos. Shoot, open it up to a few designers, see what they can come up with. A good color scheme isn't a thoughtless thing by any means. But I think I'd find it more interesting than whatever icon survived life on a button.

For you, my two cents.
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like our next round of designs should be more conservative and sophisticated. You're right about such little room for design elements. Hence the reasoning behind the small patterns. With the backplates coming soon, this issue changes a bit.

Thanks again,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Ice33:
Cammo, flag, and skulls? Some are OK but most would cheapen the look and design of the iPod. They remind me of the generic Nokia faceplates that were churned out and sold at mall carts. If I were you I would go for solid colors similar to the Minis. If you can make them wrap around I bet more people would buy those than smiley faces. That would allow for customization without ruining the look.

You would have to justify the price though. $40 bucks to cover both sides is not worth the investment to most people. You need to lover the prices of the back parts. No one is just going to buy those without the front anyway so it would make it more affordable to those who want both sides. What are they made of that would make them so expensive?
Good question. It is not what they are made of but the process and time involved. They are printed with a proprietary process where the image is infused into the plastic itself. Cel phone covers are imaged by raising the part through a floating liquid film that carries the design. The image sits on the surface and can be scratched off. Our method is far superior and can be done in small quantities for such a niche market. Backplates will be discounted for those who have already purchased fronts. They will then be removed from market as a separate product because as you said, nobody would purchase just the back.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
The brushed alu and the wood look nice. The others don't do anything for me. What would be cool to see would be different textures, make one look like concrete, or make one look clear with the iPod parts showing (an X-ray skin, so to speak). Having the choice to dock one's favorite sports team would also be kinda of cool. And maybe a living skin, showing internal body parts.
In contrast to a few of the previous design ideas, yours are way out there and now that our process has changed from screen print to digital, we can print any design even if it is a photo. I particularly like the iPod X-Ray idea. Now I need to tear one apart and take some photos. Wish I had an extra one. Sports teams and other licensed products will be another phase of our entire product line.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 09:37 AM

I noticed no backplates in the pipeline for the original iPods. Would even one backplate in either black or white be possible? C'mon, throw us a bone here. That woodgrain skin with a black backplate would look great with my car's interior.

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
I noticed no backplates in the pipeline for the original iPods. Would even one backplate in either black or white be possible? C'mon, throw us a bone here. That woodgrain skin with a black backplate would look great with my car's interior.
I hesitate on producing backplates for the original iPod because of diminished sales and that fact that I would have to invest in all new tooling. On 3g iPods, the front is the same as the back so this is not a problem. I can, however, produce backplates for the original with the same 2-axis corners as the front as I have that tooling already. I'm sure I'll get flack for this but may do it anyways. There may not be another choice.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2004, 12:05 PM

Another way to do the x-ray idea would be to have an ipod x-rayed and scan the image to whatever software you use. Would be a cool look but consider making the lighter parts of the x-ray somewhat translucent. I also liked the textured surfaces idea mentioned.. Take detailed pictures of various wood, concrete, and stone for a realistic look. The contrete and stone could even come with weathered looking corners and simulated cracks. For the security consious how about the backs having the simlutaed apperance of a fake brand of smokes (or candy) so that when layed on a table face down it doesn't look so much like an ipod. Sports teams are also good but i understnnd the licensing issues that exist.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 02:58 PM

Urgh! No thanks. I bought my 5G iPod when it first came out (standing in line with Richard E. Grant but I think he only bought a mouse) and it's still in great condition after taking it to five countries a year almost and covering thousands of miles. I had a leather beltclip case for a while but...apparently it became fashionable to picket pockets to keep an eye out for iPods.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 07:41 PM

I'll state the obvious.

Make iPod mini skins in Gucci, Luis Vuitton, Burberry, and other designer patterns!

Girls are buying the minis because they look "cute" and they also play music. Speaking from experience, girls at Michigan State (especially sorority girls) will buy anything with a cool designer print. I think it's a huge opportunity to target this new segment because alot of girls don't want to be tech-savvy; they want to be fashionable. Depending on licensing of the patterns I think it's very do-able.

I expect a check in the mail for my creativity.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I'll state the obvious.

Make iPod mini skins in Gucci, Luis Vuitton, Burberry, and other designer patterns!

Girls are buying the minis because they look "cute" and they also play music. Speaking from experience, girls at Michigan State (especially sorority girls) will buy anything with a cool designer print. I think it's a huge opportunity to target this new segment because alot of girls don't want to be tech-savvy; they want to be fashionable. Depending on licensing of the patterns I think it's very do-able.

I expect a check in the mail for my creativity.
Good ****ing luck getting the licensing for that.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 07:17 AM

I'll settle for a discount (and express shipping) on the X-ray Pod.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Good ****ing luck getting the licensing for that.
You know how they sell those fake purses of the designer names? I wonder if you can just change the pattern slightly and call it Gucci or whatever.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
You know how they sell those fake purses of the designer names? I wonder if you can just change the pattern slightly and call it Gucci or whatever.
Most of those are made in third world countries and are very much illegal here. It is pretty tough to prosecute the manufacturers of the products so instead they go after the sellers here in the US.
Macskinz, who would have to make said products, probably doesn't have the financial resources to waste in court trying to defend the fact that a knockoff pattern is different enough that upon a glance does not imply it is related to those companies. Apart from maybe Burberry who uses a tartan pattern it would be tough to make that claim. Anyway, my point is that they would for sure get sued and I don't think those companies would get enough revenue from this product to license out the designs.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2004, 09:45 AM

The Captain points out the Obvious!

It is one more of the many difficulties of "Made in America".

Doug
MacSkinz

reybart  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 06:37 PM

I just received the "pop art" skin(complete set) and I am so amazed and 100% satisfied. It is the best among the sleeves, cases that I bought so far. I can't wait to use my ipod outside with this new skin which I believe is" eye-catcher".

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 02:58 PM

The website still states that backplates will be available for the 1G and 2G ipods, but they aren't available yet. If the make it, I will buy a set.

Forum Links
Forum Rules