Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook vs Powerbook (esp. on Photoshop/Illustrator)

iBook vs Powerbook (esp. on Photoshop/Illustrator)
hy136
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 06:08 PM

Lately I've been looking to replace my aging four year old Sony VAIO Z505 notebook (12" P3 350 MHz, 128 MB ) with an iBook (12" G4 1 GHz). I do a lot of work in Photoshop and Illustrator, and I've started to see my VAIO thrashing whenever I open or manipulate any file I bring home from work (at work, I'm using a P4 1.8 Ghz 256 MB machine).

Granted, most people seem to recommend the Powerbook for Photoshop/Illustrator work, but I'm interested in the iBook rather than the Powerbook, because it seems (from various forums around the Internet) that:

(1) iBook is less expensive
(2) Less (noticeable) heat output on iBook
(3) Polycarbonate enclosure is less prone to damage
(4) Better Wi-Fi on iBook
(5) Better battery performance on iBook
(6) Powerbook reliability issues (i.e. '15" uneven screen illumination,' black-spots on palm rests, etc...)

My VAIO had (or rather, still has) issues with heat output, being fragile, poor Wi-Fi support, poor battery performance--so I'm hoping to avoid those problems with the iBook.

So--I just have a few questions to any iBook users out there:

* Are you satisfied with the way Photoshop/Illustrator performs on your iBook? Any problems/issues? How much RAM do you have in your machine?

* Reasons you chose the iBook over the Powerbook(s)?

* Does the 12" Powerbook really edge out the 12" iBook in most applications?

* Do you plan on purchasing a Powerbook to replace your iBook? Why?

Thanks!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 06:44 PM

I have a 12" PB Rev B which is what the iBook is now and I could attest to it being a great machine for illustrator and photoshop for the time being. Soon those apps are probably going to be made with the G5 in mind.

I don't think too many people, if any, choose an iBook over a Powerbook.

The new PB is alot faster than the iBook, especially if you add on the 5400RPM HD.

If you want a graphic machine get a Powerbook or top of the line iBook (which would be sorta silly because they nearly cost the same and the PB has things that the iBook doesn't, ie. 64MB of VRAM, 167MHz bus, monitor spanning standard, audio in, 333MHz faster, uses faster RAM, smaller and lighter than 12" ibook, far superior keyboard, and a third midrange speaker). The iBook is no slouch and will do anything the PB can do, albeit a few seconds slower.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forte
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2004, 06:48 PM

* Are you satisfied with the way Photoshop/Illustrator performs on your iBook? Any problems/issues? How much RAM do you have in your machine?
Very much so. I have 640MB RAM in my own iBook (14", 933MHz model) - Photoshop runs very quickly, and is a lot more responsive than it ever was on my Windows-based machine. The current iBooks can go up to 1GB of RAM, though, so I'd recommend maxing it out all the way if you can afford to do so, for the sake of future-proofing. However, 640MB seems to be more than enough at the moment.

Pretty much all of the reasons you already listed, along with the fact that I simply don't like how the PowerBooks are all widescreen-type machines - they all seemed rather oversized and unweildy to me (even the smallest ones). That was majorly off-putting, combined with the other reasons...

Heck no! A PowerBook is simply overkill for my needs. ^^;;

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 07:10 PM

I have a G3 iBook 800MHz (32MB VRAM). I'm a design student, concentrating on graphics, so I use Photoshop & Illustrator a lot. My iBook has 640MB RAM and runs PS and AI just fine. Sure it will slow down for filters but for general work it's great. I can only imagine that the G4 iBooks are even better.

I bought an iBook because money was an issue and at the time I preferred the iBook to the Titanium PowerBook. My iBook is mainly used as a desktop (I span onto a larger display) and my next computer purchase will be a G5 to act as a work machine and leave my iBook for fun & portability when needed. I do not require portability when I am working so the extra cost of a PowerBook (and reduction in performance) over a G5 would not make sense.

-The PowerBook will be faster (I can't say just how much in real terms) and can span to a DVI monitor out-of-the-box whereas the iBook only has VGA-out and requires a hack to be able to span onto another display (the only way to realistically use Photoshop/Illustrator on a 12").
-I would say that the iBook would be the better choice in terms or value, but if this machine generates a significant amount of income for you then maybe you should consider the investment in the PB (the better graphics card and other features may mean it has a longer useful life even if it is only a few seconds quicker than the iBook in real terms).

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by hy136:
Lately I've been looking to replace my aging four year old Sony VAIO Z505 notebook (12" P3 350 MHz, 128 MB ) with an iBook (12" G4 1 GHz). I do a lot of work in Photoshop and Illustrator, and I've started to see my VAIO thrashing whenever I open or manipulate any file I bring home from work (at work, I'm using a P4 1.8 Ghz 256 MB machine).So--I just have a few questions to any iBook users out there:
The iBook is going to fly compared to that Sony. So I don't think you'd miss the extra speed of the Powerbook anyway.

Yes it does, hence why it is more expensive and made for pro users. But again, I don't think you'd notice since you are coming from a vastly slower machine. It will feel fast enough from the get-go.

Maybe. Only because I have a job now but more probable is that I would buy a faster desktop for more demanding tasks and keep using an iBook for regular everyday uses.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

mowogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 08:30 PM

I have an 867Mhz 12" PowerBook here at work, which has 640Mb of RAM. I recently bought a 12" 1Ghz iBook for home & traveling. They both are WONDERFUL machines. Either one takes pretty much everything I can through at it. I don't do serious gaming on either one (I have a G5 for that and video work) but they don't bog down under multiple aplication load
I prefer the keyboard and the stability of the Al Powerbook to the kind of squishy iBook keyboard and case. That being said, I am satisfied with my iBook purchase because it was so much less expensive than a comparably equipped PowerBook. The added Mhz and more memory help and my PowerBook is a Gen1 so the iBook has the same bus and 32mb of V-RAM as my iBook. I'd bet the new 12" PowerBooks are even better.
I think it comes down to what you want to spend and how much heat can you stand. The PowerBook does get hot and runs the fan a lot. My iBook hardly ever runs the fan it the quiet is nice.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2004, 08:32 PM

I have a 1GHZ 12" iBook with 768MB RAM and I love it. I also have a 867MHZ G4 tower and a 1GHZ eMac and my iBook is faster than both computers. I don't know what type of PS work you do but for me designing web pages I find it to be fast enough. A few times when I've worked with larger (25MB) PS files it slows down running filters but not enough to really bother me. WiFi reception is great, I like the durability of the case and I actually prefer the iBook keyboard to my full size keyboard.

I bought my iBook to take traveling with me in 6 months but I like using it so much I practically never use my desktop. Go to an Apple store and try one out, good luck.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 03:07 AM

good luck with your decision .. the powerbook is sweet but YMMV

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

kdixey
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 12:24 PM

- I love my ibook (14" 1ghz). It has 768mb RAM and Photoshop and Illustrator work just fine (I work as a graphic designer and aside from wishing it had a bigger HD it works wonderfully.

- I bought a 12" powerbook first. It's a great machine but I found the screen just too small for my needs. I returned it for the 14" ibook and haven't looked back.

IMHO the ibook has a few advantages over the powerbook. First off the ibook is more durable, it has better wireless reception and the money I saved paid for extra RAM a .mac membership and few other extras.

- The 12" powerbook is a terrific machine. It's most impressive feature is how much you get for the money.

- Prior to getting the ibook I would probably have said that I would definitely move to a 15" powerbook at some point. After having had the ibook for a few months I have to say that I'm not sure I would switch. The powerbooks do have better support for external monitors, greater scren resolution and a few more niceties, but I really like the ibook. The one thing I'll probably do is put in a larger HD once it's out of warranty.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Forte:
Very much so. I have 640MB RAM in my own iBook (14", 933MHz model) - Photoshop runs very quickly, and is a lot more responsive than it ever was on my Windows-based machine. The current iBooks can go up to 1GB of RAM, though, so I'd recommend maxing it out all the way if you can afford to do so, for the sake of future-proofing. However, 640MB seems to be more than enough at the moment.

Pretty much all of the reasons you already listed, along with the fact that I simply don't like how the PowerBooks are all widescreen-type machines - they all seemed rather oversized and unweildy to me (even the smallest ones). That was majorly off-putting, combined with the other reasons...

Heck no! A PowerBook is simply overkill for my needs. ^^;;
I have the exact same machine and configuration and echo all his sentiments. I love my iBook and it runs everything (Photoshop included) perfectly fine.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 01:58 PM

My iBook is the 12" 1Ghz model, 768megs of Ram and performance was naff, then i changed photoshop's memory settings and set the processor to highest rather than automatic. Now it runs better.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 06:00 PM

I also forgot to add that I deal with 6mp and sometimes 12 megapixel images.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

adiliegro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
My iBook is the 12" 1Ghz model, 768megs of Ram and performance was naff, then i changed photoshop's memory settings and set the processor to highest rather than automatic. Now it runs better.
Can you help a noob out and tell me how to set the processor to high? My iMac and my iBook are sluggish.
Allen
Converted Mac user since 09-20-2004

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by adiliegro:
Can you help a noob out and tell me how to set the processor to high? My iMac and my iBook are sluggish.
Open System Preferences, go to Energy Saver, Options, there is a drop-down menu for Processor Performance - set it to High.

You can change it for when it is plugged in or on battery, I set Automatic for battery and High for powered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules