Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Brought a 17" PB Today

Brought a 17" PB Today
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 06:56 AM

I thought I was so smart selling my Ti800 on the Sunday before CreativePro Expo, of course just like everyone else thinking that the new 15"s were going to come out.

So after much consideration and having OS X withdrawal, I hunkered down and brought a 17".

It is pretty big . I gotta get use to typing on it, right now for some reason it is not really comfortable. But the screen, oh my, this is the nicest screen I have seen. Right now I got 1 Safari window, 3 iChat windows, and 2 Finder windows and I still have plenty of room left .

Just a question though how come I only have 55GB available? I thought a 60GB would have close to 57~58?

urrl5201
Jul 23, 2003, 07:18 AM

I think that's pretty normal. Anyway, welcome to aluworld where there are no paint peeling worries and fan noise is like a quiet summer breeze, not a hoover vacuum. Hope you already have a nice case or sleeve. If not, might I suggest the Tom Bihn Monolith? Slips into my ordinary backpack nicely and has reinforced protection; panels instead of cloth yet super thin and light...anyway, enjoy your new toy and don't be too disappointed when the the new revisions come out. I know I won't.

Oh and don't be disgruntled if your iTunes visualizer seems jumpy. The software comes with openGL disabled. I can get 50 to 60 fps full screen once openGL is activated and 30 FPS frame rate limit is switched to off.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

Here's another tip; don't slide your 17", especially across glass tables. The feet are sturdy but because of their tenacious rubbery grip they will eventually break under the stress and come off.
( Last edited by urrl5201; Jul 23, 2003 at 07:25 AM. )

djjava
Senior User
Jul 23, 2003, 08:28 AM

55 sounds rights.... same as mine... but really, who's complaining?? Everything else is too sweet to worry about a little bit of HD space.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Z-4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 09:49 AM

Oh and don't be disgruntled if your iTunes visualizer seems jumpy. The software comes with openGL disabled. I can get 50 to 60 fps full screen once openGL is activated and 30 FPS frame rate limit is switched to off.

how can you enable the openGL??

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 11:07 AM

HD manufacturers use 1000bytes=1Kb, 1000Kb = 1Mb, 1000Mb = 1Gb. Disk utilities normally use 1024bytes=1Kb, 1024Kb = 1Mb, 1024Mb = 1Gb.

So a drive with 60,011,642,880 bytes is advertised as 60Gb, but disk utility will report as 55.89Gb.

To check if openGL is enabled in iTunes, turn on iTunes visuallizer 'not in full screen mode' and click on the options icon in iTunes.

Z-4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by blot:

To check if openGL is enabled in iTunes, turn on iTunes visuallizer 'not in full screen mode' and click on the options icon in iTunes.
That's easier than i thought..Thanks

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 12:21 PM

I am awaiting my Powerbook 17 inch as well. I can hardly wait till it arrives. My 100 days with Centrino will be over: THANK YOU GOD!!!.

The only thing I liked about the Acer Centrino is the slightly curves keybord. But then again it cannot stand in the light of the backlighted keyboard of Apple.

And that is only one advantage of Apple over any other computer. It would take too much time and space to mention the rest.

Btw I also ordered the 30 gig Ipod, Isight, Final Cut Express and an Incase Sleev e to carry it around.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Iron Lung Ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by beachmark:

Btw I also ordered the 30 gig Ipod, Isight, Final Cut Express and an Incase Sleev e to carry it around.
So are you Rich or do you enjoy debt?
Apple Cult member since 7/26/03

Melkor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Iron Lung Ryan:
What is the purpose of your post? Provocation caused by envy?

Melkor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 01:13 PM

[Double post deleted]

macfreshman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 01:48 PM

bitterness walks through the door...

Come on! Be happy for him!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 02:38 PM

I hate you. I'm poor.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 05:24 PM

Iam not rich nor can I say that I am wrong but when you look at the price of the whole package that I ordered with educational discount this time in the USA and compare this with the price I would have paid when I am back in Europe then we are talking about EUR1000 savings. That is too much to loose. Especially wshen you take into consideration that I am still getting another USD200 mail in rebate back that I have not yet deducted from what I pay now.

So Who knows I might become rich when I can strike more of these deals and save save asave through deals.

And for those who might be jealous and/or envious: I can understand you guys. I was that as well for a long time when i heard that others bought the new 17 inch.

Now that I am about that get my MBA i thought it was time to spoil myself. It took me until my 40th to get my MBA so a little present for myself is in its place. And I have landed myself this fantastic job that allows me to pay for it.

Luck is on my side you can say.
(for the moment)
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 08:54 PM

Congrats dude, no jealousy here! I've got my toy on order too, a dually 2GHz! I considered going the the BigAl route, but I figured a 12" PB and an awesome desktop would fit more with my lifestyle, I like the ultra portability. However, you'll love the 17, it's a true work of art and a wonderful machine.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 03:59 AM

n/a

dmcnickle
Senior User
Jul 24, 2003, 11:38 AM

I bought my 17" last Friday. I sold a 15" pb and was concerned I might not like the size. But, I am very happy with it and am so glad that I upgraded to the 17".

I am looking for a sleeve that I can put it into that will then slide into a backpack or a canvas bag. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Z-4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by dmcnickle:
I bought my 17" last Friday. I sold a 15" pb and was concerned I might not like the size. But, I am very happy with it and am so glad that I upgraded to the 17".

I am looking for a sleeve that I can put it into that will then slide into a backpack or a canvas bag. Any suggestions?

Thanks
this is the best i can found..Link..i'm waiting for my 17" too...

Iron Lung Ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Iron Lung Ryan:
I just wanted to let you guys know that I was saying that 'tounge in cheek' or jokingly - i guess i should have put a smiley after it or something, i didnt mean to start any trouble
Apple Cult member since 7/26/03

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by dmcnickle:

Thanks
This time I passed on the Tom Buhn one. I choose for the Incase Sleeve (www.goincase.com). It has just that little bit more space to stick your charger and spare battery.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®

iMan
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2003, 10:00 PM

I have a 15" PowerBook with a 60 GB HD and it reeds 55.88.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules