Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 1.0 vs Dual 1.25

Dual 1.0 vs Dual 1.25
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 07:42 PM

Got a question. . . According to barefeats.com
http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html

The Dual 1.25 is a lot faster than the Dual 1.0. Now I looked on Apple-history.com and found out that there isn't much difference between these two models. Only the 166 vs 133 bus speed stuck out. But it still doesn't explain that significant of a speed difference. L1, L2, L3 cache are all the same.

The reason I am wondering is that I have $1800 (max) to spend on a PowerMac. I am working mostly on video editing and such.

I know a guy that wants to sell his Dual 1.0 w/ 4 x 120gb HDs, 128mb GPU, 512mb Ram for $1700. Is this a good deal?

Thanks guys.

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 08:33 PM

are you looking at the quicksilver dual 1.0 or the MDD dual 1.0. If I am correct, the MDD dual 1.0 and the MDD dual 1.25 have the same bus speed. I'm guessing the machine shown on barefeats might be the quicksilver. Anyway, check w/ your local Apple Store; I recently picked up a dual 1.0 MDD for $1099.

Kevin

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by kjb:
are you looking at the quicksilver dual 1.0 or the MDD dual 1.0. If I am correct, the MDD dual 1.0 and the MDD dual 1.25 have the same bus speed. I'm guessing the machine shown on barefeats might be the quicksilver. Anyway, check w/ your local Apple Store; I recently picked up a dual 1.0 MDD for $1099.

Kevin
Wow, that is an amazing deal. What there is a MDD Dual 1.0? How come Apple-History didn't say anything about that.

Thanks for your input Kevin.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 10:02 PM

The four 120 GB HD's and the 128 MB graphics card with the Dual 1 GHz G4 makes $1700 seem like a pretty good deal to me.

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 11:08 PM

here's a link to the specs page at apple regarding the 1st generation Mirrored Drive Door Power Macs.

The reason it was so cheap is that it was a floor model and was still on the floor when the G5s arrived. They put it in "refresh" for $1099. They also had a single 1.0 G4 for $899.

I would suggest checking w/ your closest Apple Retail Store and asking what their "refresh" inventory is like.

Kevin

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 02:32 AM

Yeah but like I said, even with the bus speed of 166 to 133 does it explain the significant difference in the speed for you guys?

Because to me, the gap seem too big.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:44 AM

On a side note I have a dual 1.25 G4 at work and a dual 2GHz at home.

In comparison the Dual G4 is VERY slow, feels years older even though it is only 4 months old.

The benchmarks don't show as big of a difference as I feel using it.

The G5 is an amazing computer.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules