Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > why doesn't my internet work?

why doesn't my internet work?
gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 08:22 PM

I'm running 10.3.1. I have cable internet and am connected through a router. All the router settings look fine, as well as my network preference settings. other comptuers on the same network are not having internet problems.

here is what is going on:

1. Attempting to pull up any webpage in safari results in the title loading and nothing else. it attempts to load but nothing happens.

2. in iChat, i can connect to my account, see my buddies, but I can NOT see what i am typing to anyone. anything i type gets sent, but I do not see it. i am able to recieve instan messages.

3. mail will allow me to see the list of new message, but clicking on a message will not garantee it showing up. Its like it can not download my mail.

4. Softwareupdate is unable to download any updates. zero progress no matter how long it sits, just like safari.

5. AIM does work properly, and IE both work properly.

Does any of this make sense to anyone? I can't make heads or tails of it, and can't think of anything that would have caused it.

thanks for ANY help. i dont have time for formatting or reinstalling right now.

new info: safari also holds on "loading" when it attempts to load local files. it is also unable to connect to my router (192.168.1.1) while IE is able to.

is there some sort of pref file that deals with apple's internet apps that i need to trash or something?
( Last edited by gthyb; Dec 5, 2003 at 08:30 PM. )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 11:22 PM

The way to see if it's a preferences file is to make a new user and see if the same issues apply to the brand new user. If you have the same problems, it's likely not a preferences issue. If the problems go away, it is likely to be a preferences issue. If the problems do not go away, it is likely to be your install.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 03:17 AM

i set up a new user, and everything works fine in all applications.

i tried trashing the plist files for safar, mail, etc, but that didn't fix the problem.

does anyone have any idea what's going one? how could all these programs stop working at once. its only apple's internet applications. is there a file that they all access that could have gotten corrupt?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 12:47 PM

it is not likely that it would be the pref for the apps if they are all launching fine....more likely one of the prefs related to the networking.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 04:59 PM

right. im not too familiar with a file like that. what would it be called? at least i know its something in my user folder.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by gthyb:
right. im not too familiar with a file like that. what would it be called? at least i know its something in my user folder.
try moving com.apple.internetconfig.plist out of your preferences folder (don't delete it until you know it is the problem as it has lots of your settings etc in it.....)....then launch your apps and see if the problem(s) persist.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 05:41 PM

i just did that with a bunch of files (well, i actually deleted them). i think that was one of them, and the problem still persisted. strange that the new account works perfectly. let me check again.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 05:44 PM

no, that didn't fix it.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 05:52 PM

other problems that started at the same time:

1. when i click the safari icon after safari is open, it does NOT open a new window.

2. when mail is attempting to get my mail, my list of messages gets scrambled when i attempt to scroll, and when i mouseover the close button, the X does not appear. it still closes when i click though.

i wish i knew what i did when this stuff started happening, but I dont.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 07:11 PM

You might also try looking around in your Networking preferences to ensure you don't have a proxy set up or anything.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 07:37 PM

open up console, copy and paste what's in there here and pray to god you didn't get a corrupted hard drive

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 07:57 PM

Instead of deleting files, move everything that's in your ~/Library/Preferences/ directory into a new directory. If the problem doesn't go away, the corrupt file is not in that directory. If the problem does go away, you can reintroduce groups of files until the problem comes back. Narrow it down to the one that causes the problem.

If the problem does not go away when you empty out the preferences folder, we can tell you other places to look.

BTW, Console outputs are helpful.

Note: the fact that the problems do go away with other users says that the problem is definitely related to the specific user login.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 01:24 AM

thanks for the ideas, guys.

i moved my preferences folder to my desktop and the problems till occured.

this is what i got in console while trying to load a page in safari:

Mac OS X Version 10.3.1 (Build 7C107)
2003-12-06 23:16:57 -0600
2003-12-06 23:22:03.177 Safari[524] *** -[NSCFString characterAtIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 01:25 AM

its so strange that a user-specific problem isn't caused by a preference file. what else could it be?

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 08:05 AM

It could be a cache problem. Try downloading Panther Cache Cleaner or Cocktail from www.versiontracker.com and use the cache cleaning options. (Cleaning local/user cache should be enough, since you're not having the problem with another account. You can also clean system cache if necessary.)

Also, both Safari and Mail have other files/folders inside ~/Library, so it's possible it has something to do with them.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 08:10 AM

p-e-r-m-i-s-s-i-o-n-s?

-r.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 04:31 PM

thanks for the continued tips, guys. i tried cleaning my cache with cache cleaner. i actually tried Xoptimize (i think that's the name) earlier, which did much of the same thing. nothing has worked. i repaired permissions as well.

i think i'm going to end up transfering everything to my new account and then delete the old account.

fun.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 05:55 PM

thanks for the continued tips, guys. i tried cleaning my cache with cache cleaner. i actually tried Xoptimize (i think that's the name) earlier, which did much of the same thing. nothing has worked. i repaired permissions as well.

i think i'm going to end up transfering everything to my new account and then delete the old account.

fun.
The problem with this is that if you don't narrow down what's causing the problem, you very well could bring the problem with you. There are other files and directories in your ~/Library folder that could be contributing. Try moving some of them out of the way.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 06:35 PM

Just create a new network location
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 06:42 PM

yeah, thats a good point. i could very well copy that bad files...plus its such a daunting task.

let me check out the network locations.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 06:56 PM

yeah no dice on the network locations.

its really odd that safari can't even open local files...it doesn't freeze, but it continuouly tries to load with no success.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 05:43 PM

yeah no dice on the network locations.

its really odd that safari can't even open local files...it doesn't freeze, but it continuouly tries to load with no success.
Trash Safari and all its preferences and download it from Apple
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 06:11 PM

yeah but its ichat and mail that are acting up as well.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 07:15 PM

yeah but its ichat and mail that are acting up as well.
1. Permissions
2. DiskWarrior
3. Archive and install

?

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 08:20 PM

blast. i wish i had time for this. i guess i'll wait till my finals are over.

strange that only one account is effected.

incidentally, one of my classes is presenting research to apple execs this wednesday. im nervous as hell.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2003, 06:37 AM

why are you wasting time with this? Just create a new user and copy your documents over and trash the old one. (don't forget to save your mail and keychain). You've alrady verified that that solves the problem. You'll have to reset some prefs etc but really that sounds like much less hassle to me.

by the way you might not use the old keychain right away, that could be the culprit also.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 03:01 PM

yeah when i get some time that's what i'm going to do. one question, though. how can i make my new user an admin? it looks like i can't do it in system prefs.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 03:07 PM

yeah when i get some time that's what i'm going to do. one question, though. how can i make my new user an admin? it looks like i can't do it in system prefs.
You can any user give it admin priviliges.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 03:11 PM

yeah i thought i should too...my new user isn't selectable on the list, so i can't change anything. its just a "standard" user.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 03:15 PM

yeah i thought i should too...my new user isn't selectable on the list, so i can't change anything. its just a "standard" user.
From Mac OS X Help (R T F M ):

Adding an administrator account to your computer

Administrators can make changes to locked preferences in System Preferences, install software, and perform a variety of tasks that other users can't. You can set up more than one administrator account for your computer.

Open System Preferences and click Accounts.
If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
Select the user account that you want to make an administrator.
Click Security and select "Allow user to administer this computer."

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 03:18 PM

yeah its "unlocked" but still dimmed. i tried locking and reauthenticating, but still dimmed.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 03:21 PM

yeah its "unlocked" but still dimmed. i tried locking and reauthenticating, but still dimmed.
First go "Limitations" of the new user and set this to "No Limits".
The Admin-stuff won't be greyed out anymore.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 05:43 PM

i can't change anything on thew user because its faded out. i'm gessing limitations is something that i would be able to change if the new user wasn't faded.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 05:46 PM

ha. the user was logged in and i forgot. it works now.

thanks.

gthyb  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 02:27 AM

well all the class presentations are done. 4 apple execs were there. sounds like some awesome stuff coming from apple in regards to their presence in universities, and in the journalism industry. as well as something coming in january that will make apple "an 800lb gorrilla". not sure what the hell it is. i think its a pro app or something having to do with journalism.

now i can focus on transfering all my crap to my new account. yay.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 08:05 AM

now i can focus on transfering all my crap to my new account. yay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules