Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari won't load ANY website!

Safari won't load ANY website!
mac freak
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 09:21 PM

I'm posting this from Camino (which, while nice, is not preferable to Safari IMO) --

Ok, Safari, when I tell it to go to any webpage, will start loading, getting the page title and maybe the background color, but will then just STOP LOADING. Stopping and refreshing does nothing. The program isn't frozen... the menus still work. I can mess with prefs if I want. MacNN is my homepage, and I never see more than colored background. What's odd is that Camino and IE work fine... and I don't recall doing anything that might mess up Safari.

I deleted all my Safari prefs, emptied the cache, deleted cookies, did everything I could think of. I even reset my IP address a few times.

I tried redownloading Safari (1.0, since 1.1.1 does not seem to be available). The installer reports that it is incompatible with my system (presumably since the installer was not built for 10.3). I still haven't deleted the old Safari.

I'm running OS X 10.3.2 on a G5 DP1800. My connection is a fast cable modem that automatically fetches IP's from a DHCP server, if that matters.

Thanks for any help!
Be happy.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 01:31 AM

I assume you've restarted and repaired permissions as well? Those seem to have become the standard first steps to troubleshooting.

You could try resetting Safari. Open Safari and from the Safari menu, select Reset Safari� . Follow the instructions and see what happens.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2004, 02:34 AM

i had a similar problem that effected safari as well as ichat. it turns out the whole thing was caused by a corrupt font i downloaded. have you installed any new fonts lately?

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by gthyb:
i had a similar problem that effected safari as well as ichat. it turns out the whole thing was caused by a corrupt font i downloaded. have you installed any new fonts lately?
Yes. About 200 in the last week! How would I find the corrupt one?
Be happy.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
I assume you've restarted and repaired permissions as well? Those seem to have become the standard first steps to troubleshooting.

You could try resetting Safari. Open Safari and from the Safari menu, select Reset Safari� . Follow the instructions and see what happens.
Yeah, did that
Be happy.

HippyShoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by gthyb:
Woohoo! You just fixed all my panther problems that I outlined in this other thread .. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=194949

Luckily when I installed all my extra fonts I labelled them red so it was easy to drag them out of my font folder .. now Safari, Mail and Software Update are all behaving .. thanks man!

Now I just gotta figure out which font was the trouble .. hmmm.

HS

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 02:41 PM

Ok, found it --

Font Book was reporting its name as a whole bunch of question marks, so I figured it was a good bet. Sure enough, after removing it, Safari worked just fine.

Thank you mucho mucho gthyb.
Be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules