Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Did you order an iMac G5, and which one?

View Poll Results: Which iMac G5 do you (or your family) have on order?
Poll Options:
17" 1.6 GHz Combo 8 votes (9.52%)
17" 1.8 GHz Superdrive 18 votes (21.43%)
20" 1.8 GHz Superdrive 30 votes (35.71%)
I'm not getting an iMac G5 28 votes (33.33%)
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll
Did you order an iMac G5, and which one?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 12:29 PM

I figured that it might be nice to get a sense of the zeitgeist here to see just how many people here are ordering an iMac G5, and where the bulk of the orders are going. One day we might be able to look back nostalgically at a thread like this!

In addition to voting, if you'd like you could explain why you feel you had to go with the iMac G5 model that you did. The people who aren't getting one... well, a lot of the other threads have gone over that already, so it'd be a bit redundant.

As for me: I'm not getting one myself, but my mom has a 17" Combo model on order. Cost was the biggest factor for her: she doesn't do enough computer work to justify a 20" screen or a Superdrive, so she figured that she'd save her money and just get the essentials. To her the iMac G5 is just cheap enough that she can justify getting one over an eMac. It was worth it to her to save all that space and weight for a few hundred dollars more. The faster CPU is just icing on the cake.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 12:55 PM

I'm not getting one since I'm about to move house and I only bought an eMac in May - still I'd like the 20" model, but I can wait until the first user reports are in and wait for any possible bumps to be ironed out maybe by second generation.

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2004, 07:12 PM

I'd rather not have an AIO-type system. I like the ablility to upgrade video cards, get a bigger monitor, have 4 hard drives, have extra internal DVD/CD drive, etc.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 11:51 PM

So far, it seems like the 17" Superdrive is the leader in the figures at this point. I don't think there's too much of a surprise there: all the features, none of the extra size (or cost).

And as far as the AIO thing goes: I can understand a lot of people just not being interested, but invariably a lot of the people in this forum will be. There are a lot of gumdrop iMacs waiting to be replaced out there.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2004, 12:15 AM

im getting the 20. im ready for a huge jump in resolution and screen realistate. just hoping i'll be able to sell my current 15inch imac to cover a good chunk of the cost.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 02:32 AM

My parents want the 17" with combo drive. They don't need to burn DVDs and I don't think they will notice the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 ghz in processor speeds. I'm trying to get them to buy the iMac before Sept. 25th. That way I... I mean they, can get Final Cut Express 2 for only $99.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

dvh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 06:49 AM

Ordered a 20" with bluetooth, wireless keyboard & mouse & 1 gig.

I have a much-upgraded Beige G3 (G4-500 w/Radeon 7000). I figured almost 7 years on a Mac was enough. Only choices now are a PowerMac or an iMac.

For what I do I don't need dual processors, don't need the PCI slots anymore, and don't really want the tower - it's a monster.

I think once people start seeing these they'll take off and be the most successful iMac yet.

bfurtado
Sep 10, 2004, 06:08 PM

Ordered the 17" Superdrive a few minutes ago. Estimated ship time to Canada is 3-4 weeks. I can wait this time as I already have a 12" Powerbook. When I ordered that last year (around this time) I could barely wait cuz it was my first mac. I must've called 10 times because I did a phone order and the status wasn't available online. Thanks guys for all your help over the last year. I am a true full convert. I use to build, overclock and mod PCs. I used to make fun of macs. I even worked (still do through sub-contract) for a local mom and pop PC builder. I sold the pc this week and that's it. All mac! I even convinced 8 people to switch too!

EDIT: ON OR BEFORE OCT 12

Brian
( Last edited by bfurtado; Sep 10, 2004 at 07:46 PM. )

YYZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 06:53 PM

Ordered the 20" with 250 HD, wireless kb & mouse, FCE the day they were announced. I loved the screen adjusability of the former imac, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The G5 has to be faster than my G4 400, which I never really found to be slow anyway. And for my intended uses (home business, internet, light video editing, the odd game) I never gave the graphics card a second thought.
Have to see how quiet (or noisy) it is,though.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 05:57 AM

wow .. purple's in the lead ... i think laptops are the way to go .. the imac is nice though ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
wow .. purple's in the lead ... i think laptops are the way to go .. the imac is nice though ...
i doubt purple would ever not be in the lead, because not every1 is ready 2 rush out and buy anew machine.

nudnik1972
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 06:34 AM

i would be curious to find out how mamy (if any) people ordering the new imac also went for the applecare protection plan, considering that there may be some initial problems ahead with this newly developed/designed machine ....
IMac, therefore I am.

17" IMac G5, 1.8Ghz, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth, 768MB RAM

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 08:51 AM

You have a year to wait before buying Applecare. No need to get it with the initial order.

taldrich
Sep 11, 2004, 12:12 PM

20" superdrive, 1GB RAM wireless keyboard etc already ordered. Here in UK, I've been promised end Sept delivery date but Apple has missed every other delivery date in the last 2 years so I'm not holding my breath.

Why am I buying this? Well I would have thought that was obvious - it's a new gadget. But secondly, it's one small step further to de-clutter and de-cable my desk. And thirdly my G4 800Mhz iMac is a little slow editing iMovies. Fourthly, it looks great. Fifthly, I neeeed it.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 12:15 AM

Hmm, I'm very tempted to buy an iMac G5 17" or 20" for work. I tote a PB G4/800 back and forth to work now, but a 1.8GHz would be nice to have (I can't stand having to work on a PC!). My credit card is tempting me even more since I've got until Sept. 30 for a promo 2% interest rate, it's a 2% fixed rate on all purchases made during the promo period.

Anyway, my question is, do you guys think a BTO iMac with Bluetooth would ship out (and thus be charged to that card) before the end of Sept? And anyone getting 1st gen jitters? (I've got a DP G5 2.0 at home that makes that power supply noise.)

Zero2aHero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 03:05 AM

I got the 17" with the combo drive, I would've liked to the 20" but I'm a college student and a few hundred dollars to me is like a fortune as of right now. I'm selling pretty much all my possessions to get it, here was a few reasons why...

- Microsoft pisses me off
- The temp of my room is easily 15 degrees higher than the rest of the house, I've heard the iMacs give off very little heat.
- I have no room on my desk to do homework
- I have always wanted a mac for the same reasons as everyone else.
- I love new toys

aljawad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 03:38 AM

I�ve just completed my latest Mac acquisition: G5 2GHZ + 23�, but I�m getting a 20� iMac for my sister. It will replace an old Graphite G4, and will be used mostly for iApps and Office.
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell."

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
You have a year to wait before buying Applecare. No need to get it with the initial order.
I bought mine with the machine, experience says that the price can only go up and in a years time it could be more expensive.

You still get the 3 year cover, so it makes no difference, unless you want to wait and at the end of the first year not buy it.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Finrock
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 05:50 AM

20" iMac G5 (256MB/250GB/BT Combo/AE)

I have a feeling it will be quite the upgrade from my iBook G3/800. Of course, the time between now and "On or before 10/01/04" will probably seem like forever!
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by taldrich:
20" superdrive, 1GB RAM wireless keyboard etc already ordered.
You bought that extra RAM from Apple? You got fleeced.

2x 512MB RAM from Apple = $225

But from OWC (www.macsales.com) = $180

Hehehe, I learnt my lesson a while ago. Just FYI!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

taldrich
Sep 13, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:

Justin, maybe you didn't notice I'm in the UK, so I am sure I am more out of pocket than you think. But seriously, I got so excited when ordering it slipped my mind to buy it separately......
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

bfurtado
Sep 13, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:

So, if that RAM from OWC is OK, then this RAM should be ok too, right?
NCIX

I'm in Canada, so I ahve to buy from a Canadian dealer.

Brian

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by taldrich:
Justin, maybe you didn't notice I'm in the UK, so I am sure I am more out of pocket than you think.
Whoops! Sorry! =(
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules