Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5 iMac -- loose powercord :-(

New G5 iMac -- loose powercord :-(
rickray1
Sep 22, 2004, 02:35 AM

Got my new iMac the other day and my only complaint is that the powercord is very loose. If I move the iMac or kick the cord, it unplugs itself and shuts off.
Anyone else having this problem?
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 07:09 AM

Have you made sure you have pushed it in fully, so that it is totally flush with the rear of the iMac?

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
Have you made sure you have pushed it in fully, so that it is totally flush with the rear of the iMac?

Ian
Yeah, ditto. I have found myself not pushing the power cord in all the way. However, I don't know what you expect to happen when kicking the cord? That would yank out a snug cord.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 08:24 PM

i had the same problem with my G4 imac until i realized that it could be pushed in farther. it almost clicks into place.

jbikecol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 09:38 PM

Same here--- I shoved, pushed and it's still a loose connection! I just checked some connections on the back and touched the power cord and my iMac shut down. I put some thin clear film pressure tape around the socket so that wouldn't happen again. There was also a blurb on Macintouch about loose G5 iMac power cord connections today.

It needs to be a thicker D-Shaped receptor plug.

jbikecol
. __o
_ \<,_
(_)/ (_)

wksgroup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 11:19 AM

Glad I am not the only one with this issue. Oh well could be worse, we could have white spots on the screen (ala the books) or we could have any zillion of flaws that dells have, ha ha.
Mac related domains for sale: MacOwl.Com, OnlyMacs.com, PaMacs.com and ProMacHelp.com. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

jbikecol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 10:23 PM

Well it seems i was shoving and pushing the receptor end to hard. I took the tape off and evenly put pressure around the collar. Sure enough it snaped in flush with the case!.
The cord is now tight ( i kinda liked the tape though, sorta homegrown looken).
. __o
_ \<,_
(_)/ (_)

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 02:41 AM

I did say it should be flush !!
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by jbikecol:
Well it seems i was shoving and pushing the receptor end to hard. I took the tape off and evenly put pressure around the collar. Sure enough it snaped in flush with the case!.
The cord is now tight ( i kinda liked the tape though, sorta homegrown looken).
Hooray!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules