Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 4S owners, what did you upgrade from?

4S owners, what did you upgrade from?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2011, 01:35 PM

And if not, was it a money issue, political issue, or something else?
Did you choose Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T? What contract?

Cold Warrior
Oct 15, 2011, 01:55 PM

I upgraded from a 3GS, extending an at&t contract. That was for my wife. I'm still on an iPhone 4.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2011, 02:28 PM

Replacing a 3G (Wanna buy a nice 3G?) with a black 64 GB 4s.

Why? The 3G was an unintended replacement for an original iPhone that generally self-destructed from abusive usage with no case, including being sat on which cracked the display. Finally the v1 iP battery wore out and I got the 3G and retired the v1 to work as an always-plugged-in iPod. Originally the v1 was a replacement of Palm's top PDA at the time.

The 3G was always slow enough to make many things almost unusable, and has very poor locational capabilities. In addition my friends with v4 would get (AT&T) signal while the 3G could not (this was the main reason for upgrading to the 4s; clearly phone adequacy impacts connection quality). When I saw that even my sister's Android device bettered the 3G I decided that I needed to get a new iPhone.

I have no standalone GPS unit, thinking the phone should do that. The 3G fails, so I need a 4 or better. In the past I did not miss having competent GPS much but this winter I will need it.

If the 4s had been lame I might have waited for the next version but IMO the improvements are _huge_ so ordering the 4s was an obvious choice for me. I am off-contract and have no problem adding 2 more years with AT&T because I figure I will always need a phone and am grandfathered with unlimited data anyway.

The bad news is that technically I am not really a 4s owner yet. The money is held from my cc but shipping status confirms as "backordered" by AT&T. That may be OK because I want to first integrate 10.6.8 updates, iTunes 10.5, then 10.7.2, iCloud, iOS5, Aperture 3.2, etc. before bringing up the 4s and Siri.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 15, 2011 at 02:56 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2011, 03:03 PM

What are you going to do with iOS5 before your 4S turns up?

Gotta wait till near xmas for mine, upgrade from 3GS. Company phone so its free. Carrier to be decided but I'm in the UK so you probably don't care anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
What are you going to do with iOS5 before your 4S turns up?
Nada.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
And if not, was it a money issue, political issue, or something else?
I did not. I have the 4 from less than a year ago and didn't think it was worth it at this point to go to the 4S, esp. I'm less than a year into the 3-year contract.

My GF has my old 3G, but doesn't actually even have a data plan, so we figured it's fine for now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 09:17 PM

My 4S replaced a 4, which in turn replaced the wife's 3G. All AT&T.

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2011, 09:25 PM

I got the 4S for my wife who is upgrading from a feature phone on Verizon. Personally, my upgrade path is Original iPhone -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2011, 12:50 AM

Sprint iPhone 4S here, upgraded from a motorola Razor something, a mifi & an iPod touch. So glad Sprint finally got the iPhone, I've been waiting since the original iPhone came out for one that would get reception at our house. (Verizon one would work too, but AT&T was a no go)

Cashfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2011, 01:36 AM

Upgrading from a Verizon Pre Plus. Staying on our same Verizon family plan with grandfathered unlimited data.
Jeff

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2011, 01:58 AM

From a Verizon Samsung Hue flip phone. I can't quite believe I finally have an iPhone, it's just amazing

ourisman
Oct 16, 2011, 07:57 PM

Upgraded from an ATT 3G to a Verizon 4S. Much faster, and I can make phone calls now too :-)
===========
David Ourisman
travel consultant
my travel blog

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2011, 08:27 PM

Been with AT&T since day one.

iPhone 1 --> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3GS --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S

Got all versions.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Been with AT&T since day one.

iPhone 1 --> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3GS --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S

Got all versions.
Did you sell the previous versions or keep them in an iPhone shrine?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Did you sell the previous versions or keep them in an iPhone shrine?
I sold them. Thought about keeping them, but didn't want to wait till it was worthless. Figured if I ever decided to collect them, I would just buy it on ebay for a fraction of what I sold it for.

I only have the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S now. Selling my iPhone 4 soon.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 03:23 AM

I've had all the iPhones so far. They're all in a desk drawer, except for my 3GS which is being used by my nephew.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2011, 08:39 AM

I upgraded from a 3G iPhone.
The difference is night and day - amazing speed all around. I am a happy camper.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I upgraded from a 3G iPhone.
The difference is night and day - amazing speed all around. I am a happy camper.
Cool. I am still waiting on AT&T backorder to dump my 3G.

What is the rest of your ecosystem? Mac OS version, iCoud usage.

TIA

-Allen

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Cool. I am still waiting on AT&T backorder to dump my 3G.

What is the rest of your ecosystem? Mac OS version, iCoud usage.

TIA

-Allen
I have a few Macs - main Xeon tower is running SL, but I just bought a 24" iMac i5 for the office and a MacBookPro i7 13" for travel, both have Lion. I haven't spent more than a few hours on either machine yet, but from what I've seen so far the speed is quite nice.

The only iCloud feature I'm using (for now) is Find my iPhone. Once I get a little more settled into Lion, I'll probably take advantage of more features.

ATT and the iPhone in combo is really impressive, I'm tempted to upgrade my internets because 3G is faster than my home network!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2011, 07:08 PM

How is the MBP doing under Lion? Are you running any challenging apps? I am agonizing when to update my 2011 17" MBP to 10.7.2. from 10.6.8. Currently with 8 GB RAM and SSD the MBP rocks, even on Aperture.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2011, 08:30 PM

How is the MBP doing under Lion? Are you running any challenging apps? I am agonizing when to update my 2011 17" MBP to 10.7.2. from 10.6.8. Currently with 8 GB RAM and SSD the MBP rocks, even on Aperture.
I haven't spent much time with it, hopefully I'll become more intimate with it tomorrow.

I have 8GB RAM but only the 5400 HD. Most importantly it's for writing on the go, but I plan on taking advantage of the iPhone's HD video and may do some light editing as well.

If your apps are okay with Lion, I'd make the leap to Lion. It'll probably scream with that SSD.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
If your apps are okay with Lion, I'd make the leap to Lion.
That is the problem. Very long threads discussing problems folks are having with Aperture and 10.7.1; 10.7.2 is too new for much reportage to exist. The thing is, most of the complaints seem to be rants from folks who do not have really strong Aperture setups (mine is). Those properly set up seem to be ok. But Aperture is enterprise-critical for me so I have been holding off.

-Allen

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 04:18 AM

Bit the bullet and upgraded from my 4.

I wanted Siri and more capacity.

The big factor though, and this is the same thing which happened with my iPad, was the realization I had someone to give my (now) old iPhone to. Before that realization, my attitude was "why upgrade? I have a perfectly good device right now".

Edit: I've been bitching out the mothership a lot lately, so I want to give kudos to Steve for Siri, it really is "insanely great", and to Tim Cook's supply chain, since I ordered mine on Monday and got it Thursday. That's definitely saying something so close to launch.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 09:03 AM

Did you pay full price for it?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 09:36 AM

Semi-full. I had to break and remake my AT&T contract.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 10:12 AM

Why would you have to break and then remake? It sounds like you should have just waited for the officially unlocked SKUs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 10:59 AM

^What I was going to say too. For $100 more, you would have stayed on your semi-completed AT&T contract and get the unlocked iPhone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 12:12 PM

I upgraded from a 3GS, and I have to say it's quite amazing. This is dictated by the way.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Why would you have to break and then remake? It sounds like you should have just waited for the officially unlocked SKUs.
I expect the reason is because usually just paying AT&T's early termination fee is the cheapest way to go. Plus much less setup/accounts hassle. The availability of early termination IMO is an important component of a contract.

If the next iPhone iteration gives a large display option and LTE I may be paying the early termination fee myself in a year.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2011, 12:44 PM

I upgraded to a black 64 GB iPhone 4S from a factory unlocked black 32 GB iPhone 3GS purchased in Greece in 2009. I switched from AT&T to Verizon, going from a 900 minute plan to a 450 minute plan since I was only using about 50 minutes a month. I had about 8600 rollover minutes which I was never going to use. So my monthly cell phone bill dropped from ~$95 a month to ~$75 a month.

I switched to Verizon for the fact that coverage is better where I live and that they will unlock the SIM slot if I ask them to after 2 months of owning the phone, which is good since I travel to Greece frequently and it is cheaper to use a local SIM card.

I'm replacing the battery in the 3GS and will be giving it to my father who currently has a SonyEricsson feature phone that he can't figure out how to use correctly.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2011, 12:46 PM

^What I was going to say too. For $100 more, you would have stayed on your semi-completed AT&T contract and get the unlocked iPhone.
Nope. 64-GB iP4s costs $850 unlocked versus $400 on contract. That same +$450 applies to all three sizes.

IIRC for me the early termination would be $175 but it may vary; and I think they may let me keep the existing unlimited data plan, just pay the fee. A year from now this question (how to optimize changing phones half way thru a contract) will be very important to me, so any creative ideas folks have, please share.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM. )

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2011, 01:40 PM

White 32GB 3GS --> Black 32GB 4S
Kept unlimited data AT&T plan.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2011, 03:15 PM

I upgraded from a 3GS. It's a significant upgrade; I got a new iPhone for my wife to replace a 4+ year old LG phone with Cingular branding. She loves it! Facetime and iMessage is a hoot; no paying for text messages...

I stuck with ATT after carefully comparing the alternatives. I have unlimited data grandfathered from my 3GS so sticking with ATT was a no-brainer in my case. And we get a 24% discount on our monthly bill through my wife's workplace.

I switched from a 32GB phone to 16GB. I never used all that storage on my old phone...

Apple is really going to have to introduce something special for me to upgrade even after my new contract expires. IMO the iPhone 4S is nearly perfect; Siri significantly improves the usability of the iPhone. I doubt that I will be using the keyboard anymore with the excellent voice recognition of the iPhone 4S.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's ultimately cause I'm such a swell guy. Once I plotted out where my old iPhone was going I didn't feel like making them wait.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 03:47 PM

Nope. 64-GB iP4s costs $850 unlocked versus $400 on contract. That same +$450 applies to all three sizes.

IIRC for me the early termination would be $175 but it may vary; and I think they may let me keep the existing unlimited data plan, just pay the fee. A year from now this question (how to optimize changing phones half way thru a contract) will be very important to me, so any creative ideas folks have, please share.

-Allen
A popular trick is to sic your obsolete phone to a family member in exchange for their subsidized new hotness phone and signature on a dotted line.

ETFs for smartphones vary all the way up to $350, and you'll have to fight them for the $100 deposit too.

Cold Warrior
Oct 21, 2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This is dictated by the way.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 05:16 PM

As is this. It's really, really cool. I was even able to speak the vbull tags.

It did choke on "vbull" though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules