Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Alarm System Recommendations

Alarm System Recommendations
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2013, 08:37 AM

So, I've recently purchased a house and the alarm system is, well, old/outdated. I'm on the previous owners' plan (until the end of next month), but I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade. I have no major complaints with the system/price, but just hate to lock into something new if others here have good recommendations. My neighborhood is near a university, so the homes are usually broken into during the days/over vacations as many people leave the area. While I'm tech savvy, my wife is a little less so, but she is the one that would love the extra security from a newer system.

My Question:
  • What are you using?
  • What's the general price you are paying?
  • Do you like the service?

Feel free to ballpark, but I'm looking for something somewhat basic, but wouldn't mind to know what options others are using.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2013, 10:30 AM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2013, 11:57 AM

We use vivint at home and at work, very happy with it. Monitored system, doesn't require a landline, good iPhone app for remote control. Touch panel makes for easy setup.

$50/month and great service.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2013, 10:04 AM

I use ADT, and have since we bought the house about 10 years ago. We're planning to upgrade our system to something more than the simplest of LED controllers, probably some time next month.

ADT's monitoring has been very effective, with prompt calls when my (defective) smoke alarm triggered. While we got the smoke alarm fixed, we're planning to upgrade the hardware because it's relatively old technology. ADT is offering a pretty nice system in their TV ads for a pretty nice start up cost, $99.

Our monitoring cost is less than $50 a month at the moment, but I don't know if there will be any changes when we upgrade. I also get a nice discount through USAA, so my cost isn't necessarily representative of what yours might be.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules