Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iTV needs iSight/iChat

iTV needs iSight/iChat
kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 05:52 PM

How cool would it be if the iTV had an iSight and iChat built in? It would bring iChat/AIM right into the living room. It would be much more like the family phone than any current implementation of IM.

It could work by allowing any user on any computer on the local network to click a 'Include buddy on Public Buddy List for iTV: myITVname' button in the buddy info. Then the iTV would simply allow a normal iChat video or audio chat for any buddy in the Public Buddy List.

It could even work with Windows computer users using AIM. I'm sure apple could write a plugin or even just port iChat to Windows. Not sure what the better long term strategy is here if Apple wants to convert people to Macs.

This could be why the iTV interface doesn't have the Front Row spinning top menu. Perhaps that will now include things like "iChat" and "iTunes" and "Any other third party application that the user wants to include".

Thoughts?

kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 06:14 PM

And how cool would this be (from Newsweek)?

Is it possible that when iTV ships next year, you may also be able to choose a menu item called Google Video, and then zip through the best of the thousands of user-submitted videos on the search giant's service? Google's consumer product chief, Marissa Mayer, tells me that indeed, the two companies are engaged in talks.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 09:41 PM

The iTV is not a computer. It's just a gateway to the stuff on your computer.

Also, if it had an iSight built-in, it would be dumb. You'd have to position it just right. That's what your Mac is for. It's not a Mac replacement. It's not an Internet Appliance. It's just a way to view your computer stuff on your TV.

I for one am hoping we can update it to view any file QuickTime with DIVX and Flip4Mac and VLC can view. That's all I want. Video files are sucky. There's so many of them. But I fear this thing may only be able to view standard QuickTime formatted files. Which would leave about 80% of the video files I have unusable.

I think they need to partner with Elgato and allow viewing of eyeTV video files as well.

Also, they had BETTER allow us to view photos NOT in iPhoto. Screw iPhoto. I HATE IT! It SUCKS! I want to view images I downloaded and have in folders in my Pictures folder. Not just libraries of photos taken on my camera. I don't USE my camera. And when I do, I do NOT use iPhoto.

Same with videos. I hope I can view ANY video in my Movies folder. Not just ones downloaded with iTunes.

And music. I will ONLY use this thing if the Music part of the iTV can increment my play counts. Play counts are VERY important to me. VERY important. If it can't increment my play counts, I will NOT use it.

If I can't do this stuff, I might as well just use my VGA cable and connect my Mac mini directly to my TV.

Now, granted, the thing isn't done. Lots can change between now and the release. I sure hope they're smart and keep it open. Please, Apple, allow plugins!

Can't wait to see how this turns out. The interface will most likely match whatever Front Row looks like when it's finished. Whether that means they change it to match FR, or they change FR to match iTV. I love the effects of the current iTV. Can't wait to see them on my TV.

Also, Google Video is well.. let's say even though I don't agree with it, YouTube is more popular. Sadly. But that's how it is.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 10:01 PM

Sounds like you want to buy a MacMini with an iSight attachment and bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Sounds like you want to buy a MacMini with an iSight attachment and bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

No. I only want things that make sense for the living room and do so with the minimal interface used by the Apple Remote. Simple things that would work on a large TV from the couch. I don't want a mac mini and I especially don't want a keyboard and mouse.

Why limit the device when there are other obvious applications that can differentiate it from the competition? Amazon can't incorporate such features. And if it is easy to use and fits in with the metaphor, then it seems to make sense.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
...I think they need to partner with Elgato and allow viewing of eyeTV video files as well...
An employee in an Apple store pointed this out to me last week. Elgato CEO tapped to head Apple Germany | Tech News on ZDNet
It has been nearly a year since that happened so the time is upon us.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 03:39 PM

Even Cringley thinks it's a good idea:

PBS | I, Cringely . September 22, 2006 - Beam Me Up

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
Even Cringley thinks it's a good idea:

PBS | I, Cringely . September 22, 2006 - Beam Me Up
Good article.

What I think we all need to remember here is that Apple will surprise us. They left out many details on purpose. One reason is that some things just aren't finished, another reason is they want to leave some of the cooler features to be announced closer to its release. So we will definitely see some features that we didn't expect. I can't wait to see what they deliver. And as little as I leave my house now, I might never leave again after iTV!

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 10:09 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules