Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Office

MS Office
Edison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2000, 01:28 PM

After installing OS9 on my Beige G3 I have problems saving office docs. If I quit/close before saving the alert box asking if I want to save the changes or not comes up, but it is blank so the only thing I can do is press enter and save it to my desktop, then trash it if I don't want it. I've reinstalled office and tried to run the bundled updater on it but an error saying the update couldn't be completed because "an invalid file was selected for updating" anyone have any ideas, it's driving me nuts.

Thanks

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2000, 11:09 AM

Have you checked your computer for viruses?

Edison  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2000, 10:45 AM

I've ran Virex and it didn't find anything.

Linda
Feb 18, 2000, 01:30 PM

Edison...

What Office docs are you having trouble with? Word, PowerPoint, etc.? Office is the suite made up of several M$ programs.

If you're trying to run an updater and you're selecting an Office icon instead of, say, the Word icon within office, you would definitely get the "invalid file selected" message because it *would* be invalid.

hope this helps.

Edison  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2000, 03:29 PM

It's doing it in all of the apps. When I click on the updater icon, it doesn't give me a choice of what to update.

PolarWave
Feb 19, 2000, 03:17 PM

When you reinstalled office, did you trash all of the preference files? You can actually just trash the preference files and then start any of the office programs, the preferences will be rebuilt. You have to make sure that you get every single one of them though. I have had some weird things happen in Office, and this has fixed the problem almost every time. It's a lot faster than reinstalling the whole office suite.

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules