Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacNN Forums FAQ (for Switchers, etc.)

MacNN Forums FAQ (for Switchers, etc.)
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 5, 2003, 04:19 PM

Someone suggested in the Feedback forum that we have a forum for Switchers; we decided against this, since all the questions would be redundant and there's no problem asking basic questions in the forums we already have. However, someone suggested starting a Forums FAQ for less experienced users as well as switchers for them to find the answers to a lot of common questions.

I think it's a good idea, and it would be nice to have a community resource like that here. A lot of it could just be links to things elsewhere (for example, "how to set up sendmail" could just link to an article on O'ReillyNet explaining how to do it), so it wouldn't require that much writing on our end.

So first of all, I wanted to gauge people's interest in participating. Second, if people want to do it, then what topics should be included?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Avenir
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 05:17 PM

I'd be interested in helping out with this. I'd say break it down like the forums: computer-model specific, internet, macos, etc. and then list the helpful topics within that.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 5, 2003, 05:19 PM

Perhaps someone about equivelant programs from the PC to mac- like office suites, image editing, etc. Lots of PC switches need to know how to do the things they used to.

kenikov
Banned
Aug 5, 2003, 05:19 PM

I would be interested in helping, but their are already tons of FAQ and things like that out there.

Apple Knowledge base comes to mind, but many more exist.

Cipher13
Aug 6, 2003, 09:27 AM

I could definately lend a hand.

andi*pandi
Aug 6, 2003, 11:45 AM

apple knowledge base = stupid. Never find anything there useful.

A FAQ for each forum is great. It could be sticky so no one could miss it.

I know when I was trying to keep up with the imac forum, it seemed every week someone was asking how much RAM a Rev B could hold, how to upgrade a hard drive... oh wait that was me.

Anyway. Good idea.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 11:57 AM

Yes- fantastic idea. I would suggest you put one moderator in chagre of each faq (or a respected member). They can certianly be fluid documetns and open to suggestion, but you need adictator w/ an iron fist to keep thingsunder control.

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 11:58 AM

i would be glad to help out... i say that there should be a faq for the lounge... you know, so people know what they are getting into

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 02:18 PM

I'd love to pitch in. It's great to be able to help someone switch to the Mac.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2003, 02:27 PM

Count me in. I'll help all I can.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 08:24 PM

I can help with 2 things:

1st gen iMac questions

Non turn signal users.

- Ca$h

Cipher13
Aug 6, 2003, 10:19 PM

It would make sense, from a newbie users perspective, to divide the FAQ into segments based upon the machine.

iMac, PowerMac, iBook, PowerBook, other...

...and then further differentiate from there, which isn't hard, diagnostically.

Why doesn't everyone, like Cash just did, put down their specialty, and from there, people can be allocted accordingly. I mean, no point every single person writing about the eccentricities of OS9...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:26 PM

After a FAQ is made, I predict many "Did you check the FAQ? " messages in the future.

misc
Aug 7, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
After a FAQ is made, I predict many "Did you check the FAQ? " messages in the future.
IMO, it's better to point someone to a certain FAQ then to tell them to use the search feature.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 01:03 AM

This sounds like a clever +1 to me.. really now.. Frequently Asked Questions have always been around.. and asked.. and answered...

Do you mean we have to answer them now too?! Darn.. I was hoping we could just throw them in the char broiler
Aloha

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:39 AM

Happy to help!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 05:12 PM

Can it have a little 'Mac on x86: Why it will never happen.' section? It could have links to all the old mac on x86 threads.

Also, use of the apostrophe would be very handy. I'm always forgetting where it goes .

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 03:44 AM

Well, I'm glad to see some interest in my suggestion, based on "robot's" thread. .

There are FAQs out there, but I still think we should make one for the MacNN boards, though we can definitely borrow from others.

I agree that we should break it down into categories. I offer these examples. I think something like this would be helpful:

Hardware Compatibility
- Is USB compatible with the Mac?
- Is FireWire compatible with the Mac?
-SCSI, Parallel port, PS2, printers, drives, scanners, expansion cards, cameras, etc....

Software Compatibility
- Can I use MS Office files on the Mac?
- Can I run Windows, DOS, Linux software on the Mac?
- What is emulation?
- Can I run Apple II software on the Mac?
- Does the Mac understand .JPG and .GIF files (yes, I've actually been asked this!), MP3, etc... ?

Internet
- How can I connect to the Internet with a Mac?
- What browsers are there on the Mac?
- Can I transfer PC files to my Mac via e-Mail?
- Can I use AOL on the Mac?
- Is the Mac compatible with DSL?
- Is the Mac compatible with AIM?

Games
- Are there any games for the Mac? (Since titles change often, links to game publishers like Ambrosia, MacPlay can be provided).
- Can I play multiplayer games with/against my PC friends? (ex: StarCraft, WarCraft)

In addition, as suggested, there should be FAQs for individual Mac models pertaining to those particular models.

Also, whether this is obvious or not, (since this is a FAQs file!) the MacNN forums be searched for the most frequently asked questions to include in the file.

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 12:12 PM

Quote: originally posted by Cipher
"Why doesn't everyone, like Cash just did, put down their specialty, and from there, people can be allocted accordingly. I mean, no point every single person writing about the eccentricities of OS9..."

Same thought here:

Me: Powerbook G3/G4 and old world Mac�s/beige PPC Mac�s, MS Office for Mac

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Cipher13
Aug 10, 2003, 08:32 PM

Well, nobody else seems to be doing anything about this, so what the hell... unless anybody has any objections, I can spearhead/organise this. If you don't like that thought, say so.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2003, 12:32 AM

Please do. I would, but unfortunately some other stuff I have to take care of right now takes precedence, so my spearheading it would make it go a bit slower than is preferable.

Let me know if you need any help though. I can help with Mac OS X and Unix.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Cipher13
Aug 11, 2003, 07:01 AM

Okay, cool.

Anybody interested in helping out, email me with your contact details, and area(s) of expertise.

cipher[at]alnora[dot]com

My inbox is full, so don't PM me.

Alternatively, hit me up on ICQ @ 48111606, or AIM @ Cipher1387

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 12:46 AM

alreadys ready and willing to help!

misc
Aug 13, 2003, 12:48 AM

Cipher: Check your mail box.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 06:57 PM

I hate to be the negative one, but this FAQ is going to be huge. And seeing as attention spans are decreasing quite a bit, this effort may be wasted.

That is, unless of course, you (mods/adminds) get a lot more liberal about banning people.

Just my opinion...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 13, 2003, 11:02 PM

I had the idea for a comprehensive Mac FAQ a couple of years ago. I also registered some relevant domains (getmac.info, getmacinfo.com).

If someone can come up with a good server and a good database to back it, I'd be willing to accept and edit articles for accuracy and provide the domain.

tooki

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 03:46 PM

This sounds like a great idea. Too bad I don't really have a level of expertise. Still, I'd love to get involved in this project. Is there anyway I can help?
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Cipher13
Aug 15, 2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by businezguy:
This sounds like a great idea. Too bad I don't really have a level of expertise. Still, I'd love to get involved in this project. Is there anyway I can help?
I'm sure we can find a way. Just drop me an email, if you haven't, so I can contact you (your MacNN profile disallows sending emails, and I don't like private messaging).

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 11:47 AM

As someone who is always having questions, often forgetting what I have been told, or just misplacing relevant info in my brain I think having links in the FAQS would be helpful. I have always found the links I have been referred to by macnn members to be helpful and often lead to learning things I didn't know that I didn't know A few are a bit "sick" but usually make my day a bit lighter! FAQS Also would help those of us who sometimes feel intimidated because we are mac users but not quite as technically savy as others. I consider myself computer literate but do not always understand the inner workings. Nor do I always want to, But when I do I know where to ask! Thanks for taking on this project. Try to keep it simple!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules