Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Mail doesn't always play New Mail Sound

Tiger Mail doesn't always play New Mail Sound
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 14, 2005, 12:28 AM

For some reason, on one of my machines, Mail doesn't always play the New Mail Sound when it receives new mail. I have the latest versions of everything, and there's only one rule (which copies messages into a certain folder). Other sounds (like the whoosh when sending mail) work consistently.

Any ideas? I've run out.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola
For some reason, on one of my machines, Mail doesn't always play the New Mail Sound when it receives new mail. I have the latest versions of everything, and there's only one rule (which copies messages into a certain folder). Other sounds (like the whoosh when sending mail) work consistently.

Any ideas? I've run out.
I'm having the same problem as well. It'll play the New Mail Sound inconsistently. I have my New Mail Sound set up with the AOL's email alert soundbite of "You've got mail!" and I get a kick out of it when the Mail App in OSX Tiger does play the New Mail Sound though.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2005, 02:15 PM

I agree, mine's also inconsistent when it comes to playing the new mail sound.
Seems to always do it apart from when i've just opened mail for the first time after start up.
If I leave mail open it works fine after and if I close and re-open it, it continues to work as it should.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 12:57 PM

It's not an uncommon problem. But the thing that always makes me wonder is why Mail does not automatically download my new .Mac messages. On my account I usually need to manually select to download. It's truly inexplicable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2005, 01:07 PM

Huh, interesting. Is this a long-standing problem?

On my main machine, the mail sound has worked consistently ever since I started using Mac OS X. It's just on this other machine that there's a problem.

I guess I'll just file a bug report with Apple.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 01:12 PM

Yeah, the issue I've described has been with me ever since I started using iTools/.Mac with Mail. It started on my iBook and migrated to my G5, so it has to be some kind of errant local Mail file.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules