Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple gave me an upgrade

Apple gave me an upgrade
discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 10:44 PM

I just want to share a story about how Apple came through for me.

I upgraded my G4 iMac to a G5 iMac back in October. From day one it has been nothing but one big problem. After several repairs and numerous phone calls to Apple I finally hit my limit. The last call I made I told them that I had had enough of this iMac. I didn't want to continue to have it fixed and I did not want another iMac because I have lost all confidence in them. I wanted store credit so I could purchase a PowerMac. I was very polite with the person that I talked with even though I was very pissed at this point.

After an hour and a half on the phone, customer relations approved of me exchanging my iMac for a PowerMac. My iMac was the 17" G5 1.8GHz model with bluetooth and BT keyboard and mouse BTO. They are going to give me a 1.8GHz PowerMac with bluetooth and upgrade the video card to the 9600XT. The cost of my iMac and the PowerMac are almost the same except since I wanted the video card upgraded so I have to pay an extra $50. The extra cost is actually taken care of since I had already ordered Tiger (which I will get with the PowerMac) but it hadn't shipped yet. I went ahead and put a cancel on the order so the money I saved on Tiger will more than pay for the extra on the PowerMac.

I got some paperwork from Apple on Saturday confirming the exchange. I was told that it would take about a week from the time they receive my iMac to order the PowerMac and BTO the extras.

This iMac is the first Apple product of any kind that I have actually had any trouble out of. After months of aggravation I feel that Apple is doing the right thing. I have been a loyal customer for years and even though I am unimpressed with my iMac I feel they made up for it by making me a happy customer again

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2005, 10:53 PM

Congrats.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 01:24 AM

Apple replaced my Powerbook because, I was having many problems. Now I'm running a 1.5 up from a 1Ghz. I am surprized that they let you switch from a imac to a powermac.

Well good luck. At my office we have many imac g5's and they are the best machines we have and give us the lease problems. You must have had a dud.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:20 AM

Good for apple. I'm not totally surprised. It sounds like they were ready to replace your machine anyway, and at that point I doubt they care if you get a $2K iMac or a $2K Power Mac. By letting you choose, they kept you as a customer.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 10:20 PM

It's actually Apple policy to let you switch. After they make the determination that you can get a new machine - you can use the price of that machine against a different product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules