Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread (Page 5)
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't think this is a bug so much as just a sucky copy feature Apple has added. When you go to copy a file name it deselects the extension. To copy the extension too you have to go back and highlight it.

For example say there is an image called "inspect.png" on my desktop and I wanted to copy that name and paste it into a URL or whatever. Back in Tiger when you went to select it, it would automatically select all of the text. In Leopard it JUST selects the text before the .png. To get the entire file name you have to re-hilight the name.

This is annoying.
Well they've done that so that when you have to rename a file, you don't accidentally remove the extension if the entire text is selected.

And you don't really need to re-highlight the name, just use Command+A. It's one extra keystroke.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 7, 2007, 09:31 PM

It's still annoying. There needs to be an option to turn it off. I bet there is, and it's just hidden. A terminal cmd could change it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 09:56 PM

You can do it even more efficiently. Just click the file once and copy. No need to make the name editable first. If you're pasting into a text field, then you'll just get the file name.

This works with Tiger too.
Vandelay Industries

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 7, 2007, 10:06 PM

Clicking the file and then hitting copy, then hitting paste into TextEdit gave me the contents of the image and not the name of the file.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 10:14 PM

Ok it won't work there since TextEdit can receive non-text items from the clipboard. It does work when pasting to something that can only accept text.
Vandelay Industries

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 7, 2007, 10:21 PM

Which isn't much now a days in the graphics world.

I wonder how much testing they did on 10.5...

Masters2010
Nov 8, 2007, 12:13 AM

Internet is really sloooooooooooow. Won't even let me log onto msn and takes an age to get on adium.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Nov 8, 2007, 12:16 AM

I use TextEdit for .txt files by default, so it works for me, just inserting the filename. Speaking of TextEdit, I've always thought it needed separate preferences for the two main formats.

I mean for plain text files I just want a blank window, but for rich text I do want it to wrap to the page margins, and I wouldn't mind it zoomed in to 125%. But all it asks is which format I want by default, and other options have to be applied per document, and it has never zoomed windows properly with page view either.

Still, you are quite right. Even Stickies pastes an icon, and the Stickies widget feels the need to paste the entire path to the file, as does Terminal. Word pastes the filename!, which I would not have expected. Weird world indeed .

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 04:13 AM

It's still annoying.
I wholeheartedly disagree. After selecting the file name, not having to hit the arrow button four extra times is a godsend. Apple changed this because it was probably one of the most commonly requested changes to file renaming on the Mac. In the end it's your extra cmd-a vs. my four extra arrow key hits. I'd say they chose the the option that causes the least extra user action. But I agree that having a default writes command to change the default behavior would be a good thing. Makes everybody happy.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 8, 2007, 07:04 AM

And that was my point. Apple needed to make an ability to turn it off. I have NO PROBLEMS with Apple adding features that others like. Just as long as they can be turned off for those that don't.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 12:59 PM

It seems when I enter in the wrong password into the password dialog 10.5 gives me the default error sound, and not the one I have chosen.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 01:19 PM

Which password dialog? If it's the login window then that belongs to root and it using root's prefs.
Vandelay Industries

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 02:07 PM

Not login window no. Just requesting my password in OS X itself.But that probably answers that. It does it because that is root's sound, and the file I am over-writing belongs to root.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 03:47 PM

I didn't think the login window gave an error sound. I thought it just shakes wildly to visually tell you you were wrong. I don't remember a sound. Maybe it's just been a long time since I typed my password wrong in there.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 05:52 PM

It only shakes in the login screen. Not the OS dialogs.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 05:31 AM

I had an error in the System Preferences under Desktop and Screen Saver. When I selected a picture from my Pictures Folder as my desktop picture, and excited System Preferences, the next time I get into the desktop/screen saver preference pane, only photos from the Pictures folder load, all the other pictures folders (such as Apple, Nature, Plants, etc.) wouldn't load anything. I was able to load pictures from my iPhoto library, which allowed me to work around the error. I just set a pic from iPhoto as my desktop background, closed system preferences and reopened it, then the other desktop picture lists would populate.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 05:34 AM

It would be cool if they shook in the OS dialogues too. I've always liked that shaking, like the computer is a dog shaking its head about. More shaking! And nodding when you enter the right password!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 01:12 PM

I like the flashing effect when you set it up to flash when beeping. It's so nice looking. Better than just painting the screen white for a frame. It actually tints the background white and fades back.

Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 10, 2007, 10:28 PM

Since installing Leopard, whenever I double click a window causing it to 'sail' (genie effect) into the dock, if I move the cursor over to dock to bring it out while the window is collapsing into it, that window "freezes" on my screen. It happens every time I bring the dock out while the window is headed (genie effect) into it.

This never happened in Tiger, so I am assuming it must be a bug in Leopard. Has anyone else had this problem?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

webraider
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2007, 04:28 PM

Okay... This must be a bug for me only. I just upgraded to Leopard on my Brand New MacPro! (shipped with Leopard but not installed). I re-formatted and installed Leopard. I'm having problems with two things.
#1 Printing: I can only print in draft mode on my HP Printer (probably a Driver issue, but I can live with for now) AND...
#2 Help Menu in the Finder: My help menu brings up an empty help browser which closes in like 5 seconds. It will not search in the search field (forever tries but nothing happens). Now. I can launch the Help Viewer app and search no problem so It is working. What's going on when I try to access it from the Finder Menu? It lives on my dock for now. Am I alone in this? Did I do something I shouldn't have?
Thanks

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2007, 01:02 AM

Eject key doesn't work (even if I hold it down for several seconds).

The key works in Tiger, and it works at bootup if there is a DVD in the drive. However, once Leopard is loaded, the key no longer works.

Cube with 1.7 GHz G4 and Leopard (installed directly, without a hack). Keyboard is one of those older Apple Pro Keyboards (black with clear bezel).

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Keyboard is one of those older Apple Pro Keyboards (black with clear bezel).
Bet that's your problem. You try a different keyboard?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2007, 05:54 AM

I've not had eject not WORK... but I've had it lag, and ignore some requests...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Bet that's your problem. You try a different keyboard?
No, but I tried the same keyboard under Tiger and the Eject works fine, both on the Cube and on an Intel iMac. I want to keep it, because it's my favourite of all the Mac keyboards to date.

In the meantime I've stuck the Eject menu extra in the top menu bar. /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 13, 2007, 12:19 PM

In the "Unit Converter" widget, its not possible to convert currency to or from British pound... Thats quite annoying.

ShALLaX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 05:36 PM

Odd, I can select British Pound from the list...

A problem I'm having is with my NAS. Everything used to work fine until I recently reset my NAS to default settings (which cleared out all users). I added my user back to the NAS and added all of the shares back, the NAS has the same name as before... everything is identical! However, now when I try to copy files back onto the NAS it copies the file and then immediately deletes it. It does this if I mount the SMB share via the finder (even if I copy the file via the terminal after). If I mount the shares via Apple Script (mount volume "cifs://server/share"), it works fine!

I've tried clearing my keychain to no avail. Any solutions to this?

I've also got issues with downloading files and the finder not updating to show the new file (I have to close the finder window then re-open it before I can see it - really frustrating!)

PaperNotes
Nov 13, 2007, 06:37 PM

muh...

I can't turn off my keyboard's backlight right now in a fully lit room.

PaperNotes
Nov 13, 2007, 06:45 PM

Now my Applications Stack doesn't pop up. Time for a reboot.

PaperNotes
Nov 13, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
In the "Unit Converter" widget, its not possible to convert currency to or from British pound... Thats quite annoying.
Works on mine.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2007, 06:59 PM

I have found several bugs:

1. Mail
a. Attachments: often don’’'t show up in the column until after you open the message.
b.. Column selection for searches don'’t’ stick between launches of Mail
c. Erratic behavior: either can'’’’t email document by dragging to to the Mail icon in the dock or can but it opens multiple messages

2. PowerPoint
a. Printing full slides shows gibberish and prints gibberish
b. Printing multiple slides in handout format sometimes results in gibberish at the top of each printed page.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 13, 2007, 11:49 PM

I use .mac sync for my iMac and my iBook.

Starting today whenever my .mac syncs all of the sudden none of my application windows show up. I can launch apps like normal but their windows just dont appear. I have had this happen with Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal and so on.
This happens on the iMac and iBook.

The only way to make things normal again is logging out or restarting.

Anyone heard of this or dealt with it?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 13, 2007, 11:52 PM

Oh and another, two times today Finder stopped accepting key combos, had to quit and relaunch Finder to fix it....

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 07:22 AM

Yeah I have had that last problem before. I haven't had to force quit the Finder this many times since 10.0

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 12:55 PM

I have had programs lose the ability to respond to shortcuts in previous versions (10.2, I think), but not yet in Leopard.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Works on mine.
That's strange! Now I can choose British Pounds on my list too.. But I could not when I took the screen shot. I don't get it...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 09:45 PM

After switching to Leopard, after each restart, OS X forgets my wireless router. I have to reenter the SSID and password each time. This was never a problem in Tiger.

Router is a 2wire DSL modem (802.11g). I'm using an upgraded Cube with 802.11b Airport.

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 03:52 AM

I have found that ONLY on my macbook pro 2.2 GHZ (used the family pack lisence so I know it ain't the disk), in apple provided programs the GUI's black isn't TRUE black, but a greenish black, that spans all apple provided programs, including safari (and the internet when viewed with it [all pictures and graphics!]). If I use ANY other program, then the black is restored. It doesn't help to calibrate the display either!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 04:01 AM

After switching to Leopard, after each restart, OS X forgets my wireless router. I have to reenter the SSID and password each time. This was never a problem in Tiger.

Router is a 2wire DSL modem (802.11g). I'm using an upgraded Cube with 802.11b Airport.
Do you mean that it's not storing it in the Network pane of System Preferences or that it's not storing it in the Airport Utility? Because if it's the latter, that's hasn't really worked to store the login consistently since Panther.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kar98
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2007, 10:17 AM

Clicking the file and then hitting copy, then hitting paste into TextEdit gave me the contents of the image and not the name of the file.
Just tried that and it entered the file name of the image in TextEdit, not the image.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Do you mean that it's not storing it in the Network pane of System Preferences or that it's not storing it in the Airport Utility? Because if it's the latter, that's hasn't really worked to store the login consistently since Panther.
Not sure what you mean. If I shut off the machine and reboot or sleep the machine and wake it up, it always re-logs in to my wireless network automatically... on Tiger.

This is not the case on Leopard. It often forgets, or doesn't even see the network.

However, I see that 10.5.1 has some Airport password fix. Hopefully that solves my problem.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 03:47 PM

They resolved the issue of files being restored from Time Machine ending up on the backup and not on the computer's hard drive. Excellent!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 07:06 PM

No, but I tried the same keyboard under Tiger and the Eject works fine, both on the Cube and on an Intel iMac. I want to keep it, because it's my favourite of all the Mac keyboards to date.

In the meantime I've stuck the Eject menu extra in the top menu bar. /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras
Doesn't work with 10.5.1 either.

P.S. Somebody else in another forum said his Intel iMac's eject key (from the stock keyboard) doesn't work either in Leopard.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2007, 12:53 AM

Software update isn't keeping packages if I choose "Install and keep package"... Unless they are very, very hidden. I checked /Library/Packages, /Library/Updates, ~/Downloads, ~/Library.. Can't find em anywhere.

I've read it works if you choose "Download only", they end up in your download folder.

Maybe it's fixed in 10.5.1, but that was the update I was trying to install and keep.

iGrouch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 03:19 PM

I noticed this as well. That packages are not being saved?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 09:39 PM

I haven't tried to see if a reboot will fix it (since everything else seems to be working), but dropping a text clipping on my desktop results in a file with no icon - just a dashed border and a transparent square instead. 10.5.1 (Intel)

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2007, 08:52 AM

Is it just me or did Apple improve the anti-aliasing of icons in Stacks when viewing them as Fan?

katskratck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 02:02 PM

Anybody getting this stuff? Went to Mac discussion. TONS on the subject except answers. One gentleman said to ignore them. I found them because my IMac is running like heck and totally inconsistent. if I don't have anything to worry about, why is my system being so sluggish? It seems progressive too. And, I have MANY errors:
Warning: SUID files "usr/libexec/load_hd" has been modified and will not be re...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.fram...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.fra...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.frameworks/Vers...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.frameworks/Vers...
Warning: SUID files "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be r...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resour...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAg...
Can anyone shed light on these messages? I have searched log files for some time to get full extensions on errors. I've had no success. Something, I would surmise, in these issues is really irritating and confusing my IMac. I've done nothing in my update/ upgrade/ installation process to warrant errors in the process'. Oh! I've just updated my G4 and IBook to Leopard also. So far, that's all I've done. Is there a way I can avoid all this on these? The G4 is getting ready to replace my company's 'mother ship' PC. I really need it working... well.
I look forward to any insight.
Thank you,
Kat

dankar
Nov 17, 2007, 05:19 PM

When switching from Mac 10.5 to Vista and back. I have to adjust my time and date, the time always faster by 6 hours. Hope further updates resolves this issue.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 17, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by katskratck View Post
Anybody getting this stuff? Went to Mac discussion. TONS on the subject except answers. One gentleman said to ignore them. I found them because my IMac is running like heck and totally inconsistent. if I don't have anything to worry about, why is my system being so sluggish? It seems progressive too. And, I have MANY errors:
Warning: SUID files "usr/libexec/load_hd" has been modified and will not be re...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.fra...
Warning: SUID files "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.frameworks/Vers...
Warning: SUID files "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be r...
Can anyone shed light on these messages? I have searched log files for some time to get full extensions on errors. I've had no success. Something, I would surmise, in these issues is really irritating and confusing my IMac. I've done nothing in my update/ upgrade/ installation process to warrant errors in the process'. Oh! I've just updated my G4 and IBook to Leopard also. So far, that's all I've done. Is there a way I can avoid all this on these? The G4 is getting ready to replace my company's 'mother ship' PC. I really need it working... well.
Thank you,
Kat
You are going to have to give us a bit more info than this. Where are you getting these errors? Console? Seeing the entire error and what was going on would be helpful too.

Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by katskratck View Post
Thank you,
Kat
Ignore them. The messages are correct, but they are not a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules