Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Concerned about purchasing a MacBook

Concerned about purchasing a MacBook
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008, 06:28 PM

Greetings Everyone -

It's a been long time and I'm thrilled to be back (almost) to the Mac world - no pun intended.

I have serious reservations about purchasing a new MacBook after reading so many negatives things about the screen, which I tested in store and found to be acceptable, and driver/RAM/software issues regarding scrolling in Safari and lockups during game play.

Like I said - I went to a local Apple Store and tested a floor model out for quite some time. All seemed fine to me.

Is this a case of only the naysayers coming out and yelling fire over a lit match or is this a prime example of the Apple Rev 1 problems.

I'm looking at the 13" MacBook, probably entry level model, but I have not decided yet. Primary use of the machine will be internet, music, movies, photos, maybe some work in iWork but not much.

Can you weigh in and give me overall buy or wait comments? I'm anxious for a new one but I could wait ...
( Last edited by Proudest Monkey; Dec 2, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Typo)
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008, 06:50 PM

I have a 2.4GHz MacBook and while my eye isn't uber trained, the screen is conventional and crisp. For one, I prefer glossy over matte but also I've yet to be in a situation where I really have to move otherwise I can't see. (okay, okay I live in Northern Ireland)

Would definitely recommend it

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008, 08:26 PM

I have similar thoughts regarding the screen. I don't have a trained eye and I'm not coming from the previous generation of iBook/MacBook's. In the store it looked good, I played with it, had my wife with me, she thought it was good. I came to the conclusion on the screen that it would look fine at home and would probably reflect the most at the Apple Store given the white walls and bright lights.

That being said, how much RAM do you have and what are you using your machine for? I'll probably max it out but i read in another post that a faulty RAM chip caused some serious problems with the screen.

freudling
Banned
Dec 2, 2008, 08:48 PM

Proudest Monkey:

Why are you so "concerned"? I wouldn't worry about the whining taking place here or elsewhere in relation to screen issues and so forth. I have the new MBP, and I just took my longtime friend and longtime Linux user down to the Apple Store where he bought his first Mac: a MacBook Unibody. He loves it. As an owner of the Pro, I played with his in my office, the same place I use my Pro. While the screen on the Pro is better, when I was using his I didn't really notice much difference... that is, I never really said to myself, "Man, this screen is not very good in comparison to my Pro." I was just as enamored with the MacBook as my MacBook Pro.

The screens on each are significantly better than any previous Apple portable ever produced. Any RAM/driver/trackpad issues are solvable. Case in point: the new trackpad firmware update fixed the non-responsiveness of the trackpad. I am sure updated drivers, etc. will work anything else out.

After 2 weeks with the UniMBP, no problems to report: it is going very strong.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
That being said, how much RAM do you have and what are you using your machine for? I'll probably max it out but i read in another post that a faulty RAM chip caused some serious problems with the screen.
I have 2GB in it (which I believe the 2.0GHz model ships with too?) - I run many applications at once with no real hint of lag. I use this for general web/email/chat/word/excel etc and also a bit of Photoshop/Lightroom. Lightroom runs smoothly which is very very nice.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Proudest Monkey:

Why are you so "concerned"? I wouldn't worry about the whining taking place here or elsewhere in relation to screen issues and so forth. I have the new MBP, and I just took my longtime friend and longtime Linux user down to the Apple Store where he bought his first Mac: a MacBook Unibody. He loves it. As an owner of the Pro, I played with his in my office, the same place I use my Pro. While the screen on the Pro is better, when I was using his I didn't really notice much difference... that is, I never really said to myself, "Man, this screen is not very good in comparison to my Pro." I was just as enamored with the MacBook as my MacBook Pro.

The screens on each are significantly better than any previous Apple portable ever produced. Any RAM/driver/trackpad issues are solvable. Case in point: the new trackpad firmware update fixed the non-responsiveness of the trackpad. I am sure updated drivers, etc. will work anything else out.

After 2 weeks with the UniMBP, no problems to report: it is going very strong.
The reason I'm concerned is because of the amount of negativity surrounding these screens and some flaws that have surfaced that have yet to be addressed from Apple.

I'm looking for information from people like myself. People who have been to store and looked at the screens and compared.

I have 2GB in it (which I believe the 2.0GHz model ships with too?) - I run many applications at once with no real hint of lag. I use this for general web/email/chat/word/excel etc and also a bit of Photoshop/Lightroom. Lightroom runs smoothly which is very very nice.
Good to know. Any experience using boot camp?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 12:10 PM

Good to know. Any experience using boot camp?
I'm afraid I don't actually. The only software I have used in relation to that is CrossOver which ran fine.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 12:43 PM

I think I'll make another trip to the Apple Store, fortunately there are 3 within 20 minutes and soon a fourth, so I have plenty of time to play with them and look at the ins and outs of it before I make my decision.

I don't see a reason why I won't be purchasing a MacBook of some type whether it be the entry level 13 inch or the MacBook Pro 17 inch - somewhere between the 2 I will have one.

Thanks for the help!

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
I can basically say the same. I'll max out when the price plummets on the 6GB upgrade.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

freudling
Banned
Dec 3, 2008, 01:45 PM

"The reason I'm concerned is because of the amount of negativity surrounding these screens and some flaws that have surfaced that have yet to be addressed from Apple."

This is all conjecture/isolated cases. You think that what you read on the internet is a widespread issue, but often times it is not. Yes, some units will have problems (law of averages), but that does not mean that the problems are widespread issues.

Again, I have had no problems whatever with my unit, and so far, my friend's MacBook is solid and free of any of these "perceived" problems.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 05:19 PM

I just checked out the new Macbook and as hard as I tried to find a bad thing about the screen I just couldn´t find it. If it fits your requirements go for it!
regards

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 06:15 PM

I really do appreciate everyone chiming in and giving me their 2 cents.

I do plan to buy one because as far as I could tell the screen would not be an issue. The chicklet keyboard didn't seem an issue but I want to go back and check that out. I was planning to buy a new computer regardless, specifically a Mac, but what won me over was the trackpad. As silly as that sounds it always drove me crazy Apple didn't just give in and go with a 2 button approach but if they had this up their sleeve this whole time they should have gone with it 10 years ago.

Thanks again!

freudling
Banned
Dec 4, 2008, 05:38 AM

It's funny how people can label new features/designs as "problems".

The UniMBP is redesigned... that means the keyboard is different than previous Apple portables, the screen is different, the case is different, the trackpad is different, on and on. For the first little while, people always wonder if the different features/design will measure up, and almost always they do. In the case of the UniMBP, I would bet that most everyone who owns one would never go back. All of the new features and design changes translate into a better, faster computing experience for the user, simple as that. People who don't agree with this are just being incredulous.

And for those thinking of buying one, take the plunge and get used to the "new stuff". After a few weeks, you probably will never go back either.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2008, 09:57 AM

I could not agree more.

Reminds of 2000 when the OS X Public Beta came out and there were people complaining the beta was not stable or fast and those saying they would never leave OS 9.

Eventually everyone leaves the old technology behind.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
It's funny how people can label new features/designs as "problems".

The UniMBP is redesigned... that means the keyboard is different than previous Apple portables, the screen is different, the case is different, the trackpad is different, on and on. For the first little while, people always wonder if the different features/design will measure up, and almost always they do. In the case of the UniMBP, I would bet that most everyone who owns one would never go back. All of the new features and design changes translate into a better, faster computing experience for the user, simple as that. People who don't agree with this are just being incredulous.

And for those thinking of buying one, take the plunge and get used to the "new stuff". After a few weeks, you probably will never go back either.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2008, 12:47 PM

This is not encouraging news;

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...using-macbooks

Perhaps I would be better served by waiting until January to hear about an update in the works or see if it becomes an issue. It's good to know that Apple is working with people on the issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

freudling
Banned
Dec 4, 2008, 01:49 PM

This is not encouraging news;

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...using-macbooks

Perhaps I would be better served by waiting until January to hear about an update in the works or see if it becomes an issue. It's good to know that Apple is working with people on the issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
As for the Apple article in your last link, they do NOT refer to the graphics cards in the UniMBP or the UniMB.

The chip in the UniMBP is twofold: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
The chip in the UniMB is: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with shared 256MB

The affected chip as noted by Apple is: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2008, 01:56 PM

I'll probably go with the 13.3" MacBook. That way I can buy more toys to go with it

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 02:00 PM

I ordered the new entry-level MB (can't remember the GZ -- it's an aluminum unibody, not the white) the day they were announced. I was leery not so much about the screen as the Firewire issue.

I love, love, love the MB. TO be honest, the trackpad has taken me quite a bit of time to get used to, and, in fact, I understood it AFTER going to a Mac store and talking to a salesperson. When I demonstrated what I was trying to do, he immediately said, "you have a Powerbook, don't you?" Apparently, it was quite obvious! But once he showed me a better way, I've gotten much more adept at using the glass trackpad.

Granted, I was using a first-generation 12-inch PB, that will be 6 years old in two months. So obviously ANYTHING was going to be an improvement. But I really enjoy the machine. I noticed the ripple when scrolling in Safari, but as it is on every single machine I tried (best buy, apple, etc.) I decided I could live with it, because it obviously isn't a deficinecy in my machine.

I've had no issues, knock on wood. None.
Get one -- they're great.

jsnowbordr47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 12:44 AM

If you really want an Apple laptop, you might as well get it now. The newest models were only release very recently, so I don't think there will be any major/groundbreaking updates for at least a year. ( if anything it will be slightly bumped specs, but not like a new design or anything)

And you know what they say, if you're always putting off your Apple purchase until their next press conference, you'll never get a new Mac.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2009, 09:27 AM

At this point, though, I'd at least wait until after macWorld, just in case anything is bumped, in terms of processor, inclusions, whatever.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I ordered the new entry-level MB (can't remember the GZ -- it's an aluminum unibody, not the white) the day they were announced. I was leery not so much about the screen as the Firewire issue.

I love, love, love the MB. TO be honest, the trackpad has taken me quite a bit of time to get used to, and, in fact, I understood it AFTER going to a Mac store and talking to a salesperson. When I demonstrated what I was trying to do, he immediately said, "you have a Powerbook, don't you?" Apparently, it was quite obvious! But once he showed me a better way, I've gotten much more adept at using the glass trackpad.

Granted, I was using a first-generation 12-inch PB, that will be 6 years old in two months. So obviously ANYTHING was going to be an improvement. But I really enjoy the machine. I noticed the ripple when scrolling in Safari, but as it is on every single machine I tried (best buy, apple, etc.) I decided I could live with it, because it obviously isn't a deficinecy in my machine.

I've had no issues, knock on wood. None.
Get one -- they're great.
How did you get used to the trackpad?

When I was in an Apple store, my thumb kept bashing the casing below the trackpad looking for the button. Years of iBooks and white MacBooks

Care to share the new way?

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 11:30 PM

I have no personal dislikes on MacBooks, especially on the screen. But I have the older (white) version of it so I couldn't tell you much about these new screens. The one feedback I did get from a friend who bought one recently is that colors are don't look quite as bright as they used to, but again, is you tested it and found it ok, I'd say go for it.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2009, 01:31 PM

No longer concerned about purchasing a MacBook - I finally did it!

I posted in the lounge area a less than stellar Best Buy shopping experience but overall I am quite happy with my purchase.

I have not had long to play with it but have noticed that my hand might be too big for the trackpad. A couple of times my cursor has jumped because my hand had been resting on part of the trackpad when I've been using the trackpad. I'll get used to that over time.

Looking forward to importing everything!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 11:26 AM

Proudest Monkey, I don't have one of the latest MacBooks, but to reduce trackpad usage I've got Quicksilver installed, and there's loads of 'os x keyboard shortcuts' information out there to speed up your workflow on the MacBook.

You might want to try Google's Quick Search (which was written by the old Quicksilver dev).

freudling
Banned
Jan 14, 2009, 05:33 PM

Proudest Monkey:

It has taken me about 6 weeks to master the new glass trackpad. At first I disliked it, and there were many spurious inputs happening. Now, there are next to none because I have used it long enough to learn it. I would never go back to the button/trackpad combo now.

How do I use it? Well, in a now natural way, I rest my thumb just on the bottom edge of the trackpad, while I gesture with my index finger. In this way, I can initiate clicks quickly. The way I find the trackpad with my thumb is to start from the edge, just before the latch indentation, and then I slide my thumb slightly forward where its final resting position is half on the trackpad's bottom edge, and half on the casing. This is how my body has naturally settled and it has enabled me to input faster than with a button/trackpad combo.

I checked out quicksilver, but with quick clicks and gestures, as well as spotlight, I don't see much worth in it.

clockworkwar
Jan 16, 2009, 10:09 AM

I don't know why people moanabout the track pad, I went into my local Apple store and immediately found it worked perfectly. The screen issue really does not have an basis unless you are a photographer.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jan 18, 2009, 10:20 PM

Greetings Everyone -

It's a been long time and I'm thrilled to be back (almost) to the Mac world - no pun intended.

I have serious reservations about purchasing a new MacBook after reading so many negatives things about the screen, which I tested in store and found to be acceptable, and driver/RAM/software issues regarding scrolling in Safari and lockups during game play.

Like I said - I went to a local Apple Store and tested a floor model out for quite some time. All seemed fine to me.

Is this a case of only the naysayers coming out and yelling fire over a lit match or is this a prime example of the Apple Rev 1 problems.

I'm looking at the 13" MacBook, probably entry level model, but I have not decided yet. Primary use of the machine will be internet, music, movies, photos, maybe some work in iWork but not much.

Can you weigh in and give me overall buy or wait comments? I'm anxious for a new one but I could wait ...
I know how you feel. I've been looking at the new Macbooks lately as well and have been reading all the reviews that say the screens are horrible. My Dad got my Mom a Dell for Christmas that has a glossy screen and I like it. I haven't had a Mac since 2000, I was forced to go to Windows for my college classes as they used Windows only applications at the time. Ever since then I've been wanting to come back to the Mac. I am sick of Vista and formatting and all that junk. I plan to use my Macbook for everything but gaming, which will remain the only reason I keep my new built custom gaming PC. My Mom also has the older generation white Macbook from her school and she loves it. I told my Dad to send the Dell back and get her a Macbook but I don't he is going to. I think I'm just going to go for it and judge the screen for myself. If I'm not satisfied I figure I can always send it back.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2009, 11:28 PM

i got the new macbook, despite the screen (and no FW), and am loving it. google for a monitor profile called "JC Diplay" (that's how it was spelled)! or do your own calibration, helps a LOT; the screen looks less washed-out, colors a bit more solid (but it's still not as good as the mbp).

mb is fast, light. not too hot. stable. bright enough, sharp enough screen. backlit keys ROCK.

all in all, this is my fave mac notebook to date, and i was a 12" powerbook person (swore nothing could replace it...the new macbook does).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules