Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Mac & External HDD stolen - retrieving photos from iPhone

Mac & External HDD stolen - retrieving photos from iPhone
jeeptjs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2009, 11:36 AM

I had my iMac and external HD stolen this weekend. My insurance will take care of this but now I lost all of music and more importantly my PHOTO'S. Luckly I have all my photos and music on my iphone. Yesterday I was able to use a program to put the music on my Macbook but I can't get the pics off my photo gallery, It will only let me remove the last roll of photos. Anyone have any ideas on how to transfer these out, not individually( I have 2,400 pics).

Thanks,
Mike

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 26, 2009, 05:24 PM

Unfortunately, the photos on your iPhone are only low-resolution versions, not the originals. So even if you can copy them off, it will not be the same.

Also, for the love of gawd, make a proper thread title. Please see the forum rules.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2009, 05:31 PM

Thread title made better

jeeptjs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks for fixing the Thread title. I know the pics will be low res, can anyone help me get them onto my computer so i can back them up.

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2009, 10:30 PM

use image capture.

Plug in iphone, open image capture, pull photos from iPhone...
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

jeeptjs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by silverflyer View Post
use image capture.

Plug in iphone, open image capture, pull photos from iPhone...
I tried that but I could only pull the pics that were taken on the last roll of the iPhone. It couldn't find any pics that were stored in my Library. Any other ideas?

Thanks
MIke

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2009, 01:13 PM

Definitely a last-case scenario, but you could email them to yourself. Isn't there an app in the app store that lets you attach multiple photo's to a single email?

three_jeeps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeeptjs View Post
I had my iMac and external HD stolen this weekend. My insurance will take care of this but now I lost all of music and more importantly my PHOTO'S. Luckly I have all my photos and music on my iphone. Yesterday I was able to use a program to put the music on my Macbook but I can't get the pics off my photo gallery, It will only let me remove the last roll of photos. Anyone have any ideas on how to transfer these out, not individually( I have 2,400 pics).
I have found myself in a similar situation, only my HD went belly up. It seems that very few ppl understand that there are two 'directories' in which photos are stored (camera roll, and photo library).
What I have been able to gather so far, (and I have had lots of conflicting info) is that when the photos are transferred from the computer to the iphone, the resolution & aspect ration is change to be better displayed on the iphone (what that is, no one can seem to tell me).
Apple does not support transferring from the iphone photo library to the pc. There are third party programs that do that. One is: http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/
and another is: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/
I was told, but cannot confirm, at what resolution the photos on the iphone photo library are transferred back to the pc. I've written to the ppl that support the above programs but have not received an answer as of yet....
I was also told that you could email them to yourself, and in that case, the resolution is 640 x480...pretty bad, but at least you have it...but for 2K+ photos, its gonna take a loooong time.
Hope this helps..good luck!
John

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2009, 07:45 AM

Look for an app called "Discover". If I remember correctly it allows you to access the photo folder via wifi.

-

Forum Links
Forum Rules