Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What defines a sport?

What defines a sport?
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 04:40 AM

I say that it needs to be measurable.

For example with time, distance, weight, etc. Once humans have to give their opinion about how good something is, it doesn't count as a sport for me (eg. ice skating or diving or some 99% of gymnastics). However I haven't got a clue how to measure a boxing match for example when someone doesn't get knocked out.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 29, 2009, 05:45 AM

A winner?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I say that it needs to be measurable.

For example with time, distance, weight, etc. Once humans have to give their opinion about how good something is, it doesn't count as a sport for me (eg. ice skating or diving or some 99% of gymnastics). However I haven't got a clue how to measure a boxing match for example when someone doesn't get knocked out.
Excellent point. Whenever a judge is involved it isn't really a sport. I never thought about boxing that way, but I guess it isn't really any more of a sport than gymnastics.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 08:30 AM

I thought gymnastics (at least at the Olympic level) had removed most of the subjective/artistic categories? They all now basically start with the top score and get points deducted for various mistakes in the execution of their routine.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; May 29, 2009 at 08:49 AM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2009, 08:37 AM

I've always gone with the "if it's physically straining and tiring" definition - and not with little things. For instance, I would not consider golf a sport but would boxing.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2009, 10:58 AM

sport |spôrt|
noun
1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment : team sports such as baseball and soccer

I'd say they are all sports. Doesn't matter whether YOU think they are or whether I think they are. I think NASCAR should burn in a fiery pit of Hell, but that doesn't mean it's not a "sport."
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I thought gymnastics (at least at the Olympic level) had removed most of the subjective/artistic categories? They all now basically start with the top score and get points deducted for various mistakes in the execution of their routine.
My friend says some maneuvers are more complicated than others, so they're worth more points. If you put in a few complicated maneuvers, it gives you more wiggle room to make minor mistakes that don't affect your score as much. If you keep to a really simple routine, your score will get killed if you make even the tiniest mistake.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 12:27 PM

I think the key word is "entertainment". That's the only reason poker and fishing get TV shows.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 04:59 PM

JOSH: My best sport is video hockey.
PAUL: That isn't a sport.
JOSH: Well, it takes eye to hand coordination.
PAUL: It's not a sport if you don't sweat!
JOSH: What about golf? You don't sweat and that's a sport.
PAUL: Yeah, and you're not sittin' there letting some machine do all the work!
JOSH: What about car racing?
PAUL: Shut up Baskin!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 29, 2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
My friend says some maneuvers are more complicated than others, so they're worth more points. If you put in a few complicated maneuvers, it gives you more wiggle room to make minor mistakes that don't affect your score as much. If you keep to a really simple routine, your score will get killed if you make even the tiniest mistake.
I don't like for sports to be judged, personally because it's always going to be subjective. When looking at a boxing score card, sometimes it's like all the judges were watching two different fights. I always felt boxing should just be last man standing and winner take all or at least a 90/10 split AT MOST. I bet we would see some historic matches then, and a lot less controversial decisions.

Sealobo
May 29, 2009, 06:52 PM

it's sport if:

1) it keeps scores, and;

2) it sells ad among breaks.

hayesk
May 29, 2009, 08:05 PM

I don't think car racing is a sport because it lacks physical exertion. While it takes extreme concentration, driving skill, and you often sweat buckets during a race, it does not require athletic ability any more than playing a video game.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 29, 2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I don't think car racing is a sport because it lacks physical exertion. While it takes extreme concentration, driving skill, and you often sweat buckets during a race, it does not require athletic ability any more than playing a video game.
Try it sometime and see how quickly your left leg fatigues because of a stiff clutch, your right elbow gives out from shifting, and both of your arms barely move from cranking a wheel without the help of power steering.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Right, it's like diving.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

hayesk
May 29, 2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Try it sometime and see how quickly your left leg fatigues because of a stiff clutch, your right elbow gives out from shifting, and both of your arms barely move from cranking a wheel without the help of power steering.
No thanks. Muscle fatigue doesn't necessarily indicate athletic ability. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some information on how athletic one must be to race. Compare it to say, racing a bicycle.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 09:53 PM

This thread again?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 30, 2009, 02:53 AM

No thanks. Muscle fatigue doesn't necessarily indicate athletic ability. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some information on how athletic one must be to race. Compare it to say, racing a bicycle.
I've yet to see a professional race car driver that looks grossly out of shape.

My point is that there is physical exertion involved in racing, and that someone in good physical shape will have an advantage.

I don't think the level of exertion defines a sport though - I can play competitive volleyball and barely brake a sweat, and I can play friendly, casual basketball and sweat buckets.

Sealobo
May 30, 2009, 03:34 AM

Maybe you can try to relate racing in its highest form... such as Formula 1. One can do ANY sports casually and need not to be athletic. But to compete with the best, one has to be. F1 drivers have some crazy neck and back muscle i tell you. If you can't even stand the amplified weight of your own head (and the helmet) under maximum braking, then you're not qualified to compete.

Cipher13
May 30, 2009, 12:54 PM

It's an interesting question.

Very generally, anything judged subjectively (even with predefined 'difficulties' associated with particular maneuvers), or with a maximum attainable score, is not a 'sport' in my eyes (and mine alone; it's a functional definition, no doubt flawed).

Take bowling, for example. That is most certainly not a sport.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2009, 01:42 PM

How about it being a sport because it's a contest of speed* between competitors?

Also regular people would fall down after simply being a passenger(!) in a formula 1 car, let alone piloting one.

*edit
ice

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2009, 02:30 AM

"Winning", "scores", "competition"... ugh... get over it. I'm sorry but i have to chime in here, cause my primary 'sport' is surfing, and when i go out, im not looking to 'win' or to 'compete' with anyone else. the only benchmark i have to live upto is my own ability. Some people would probably not classify surfing as a sport because of that.

This is obviously a very subjective question, so this is all just my opinion.

But for conventional competitive sports the things i think should define them are things that test the human body and/or mind.

Skill, stamina, speed and strength.

Sealobo
May 31, 2009, 04:44 AM

surfing and skateboarding are in the same category.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
"Winning", "scores", "competition"... ugh... get over it. I'm sorry but i have to chime in here, cause my primary 'sport' is surfing, and when i go out, im not looking to 'win' or to 'compete' with anyone else. the only benchmark i have to live upto is my own ability. Some people would probably not classify surfing as a sport because of that.

This is obviously a very subjective question, so this is all just my opinion.

But for conventional competitive sports the things i think should define them are things that test the human body and/or mind.

Skill, stamina, speed and strength.
However, because YOU don't compete or attempt to "win" while surfing, that doesn't mean it isn't a sport because there is, indeed, competitive surfing. I think the point is that no matter what anybody says about a particular event being a sport or not, if there is a competitive level of it somewhere on earth, then it's a sport. I don't think several "sports" are actually sports, but that doesn't mean they aren't.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2009, 05:07 PM

George Carlin had an act about "sports".

"Anything anyone can do isn't a sport. Running isn't a sport. My mother can run. You don't see her on the cover of Sports Illustrated, do you?"

Etc.

He also said only (american) football, baseball, and basketball were sports. Everything else is a "game" or an "activity".

Hockey isn't a sport. Hockey is three different activities: ice skating, playing with a puck, and beating the sh*t out of somebody.

Go Red Wings!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
However, because YOU don't compete or attempt to "win" while surfing, that doesn't mean it isn't a sport because there is, indeed, competitive surfing. I think the point is that no matter what anybody says about a particular event being a sport or not, if there is a competitive level of it somewhere on earth, then it's a sport. I don't think several "sports" are actually sports, but that doesn't mean they aren't.
Thats true. I guess thats what bugs me about pro 'competitive' surfing... it's way too subjective as opposed to objective. it's like having a canvas painting competition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules