Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > critique my Time Capsule network!

critique my Time Capsule network!
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2008, 07:34 PM

I'm trying a new networking solution using Time Capsule (yes! I sent Apple more money! Damn it!) I think the problems with Airdisk (connecting a USB drive to Airport Extreme) won't be solved anytime soon, no matter what Appleinsider says.

Here's my new network:

The idea is that there are actually two networks, an "n" for the intel macs and a "g" for the older powerbooks; "b" will no longer be offered (as I think it was a "spanner in the works.")

This set up works, with the old UFO station dishing out IPs. But Apple sez my Time Capsule should be papa Base Station. Anybody with any comments?

I'll tell you start off the initial Time Machine back up looks like it'll be 24 hours. Does my macbook talk to Time Machine directly, or am I throttling down the network traffic by having the old UFO station dish IPs?

Anybody got any tweaks for me?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 10:04 PM

Why bother with the base station? Just have the TC serve out 2.4ghz g and 5.8Ghz n.
You need the remote APExtreme for that printer and the APExpress for the audio, unless you can relocate your printer near the APExpress.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
The idea is that there are actually two networks, an "n" for the intel macs and a "g" for the older powerbooks; "b" will no longer be offered (as I think it was a "spanner in the works.")
It's a good idea to split up into a pure 5 GHz n network and a 2.4 GHz g network. This is a so-called dual-band network. You'll get much better speeds over the n network if it doesn't have to offer 2.4 GHz backwards compatibility. Make sure to use wide channels for the full 300 Mbps.

Apple actually mentions (and recommends!) dual-band networks Guide to Designing AirPort Extreme Networks (page 48).

But I don't understand why you need two AEBSs for the g network. One should be sufficient unless you need to extend the network due to weak signal strength.
Cable Modem --Ethernet-> TC(n) --Ethernet-> AEBS(g) --USB-> printer
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 4, 2008 at 03:53 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules