Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OLD SCHOOL questions for a G4 dualie

OLD SCHOOL questions for a G4 dualie
koshercuts
Sep 4, 2004, 01:30 AM

I'm selling my mirrored dual 1GHz G4 so I can upgrgade to a G5. I have an interested buyer but he asked me two questions today that I didn't have the answer for. Maybe someone here can help.

1) What is needed to set-up a 2 monitor system? I have a Sony Multiscan that I am throwing in with the sale and he has a LaCie monitor that he uses. How would he go about hooking both monitors up to the G4? Is extra hardware involved?

2) How do you backup software programs like FCP and DVD Studio Pro so that if the G4 somehow crashes and everything is lost, there is a way to recover and use all your installed software. Do you just drag and drop the internal hard drive icon onto a new external drive for copying.

thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 4, 2004, 01:44 AM

1) The MDD G4s all came with video cards that support dual monitors. The original cards have ADC and DVI connectors, he may need a small adapter to run the 2nd monitor.

2) No backup is needed of the applications. If they are damaged, reinstall from the retail CDs. You were including the retail CDs in the sale, right, not supplying the new buyer with pirate copies of the applications?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
2) No backup is needed of the applications. If they are damaged, reinstall from the retail CDs. You were including the retail CDs in the sale, right, not supplying the new buyer with pirate copies of the applications?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 07:22 PM

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to produce exact (and bootable) clones of your primary OS X install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules