Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How much should I pay for a.....

How much should I pay for a.....
iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 06:34 PM

Powermac
867MHz
80GB HD
Superdrive
1.5Gb RAM
stock VRAM
17" Apple CRT

I might be able to get it for around $750, is this a good price or should I keep looking around. I have a 12" 1GHz PB, and am looking for a tower to compliment it. What do ya think.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 08:03 PM

Well, that's a good machine, but it is older now. Assuming it's a single processor, you would get better performance for the price with an iBook or an eMac. You may not want an iBook or an eMac though. Of course, if it is a DP 867 I would jump for that price.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 08:37 PM

Personally, at this point, I would stick to used dual processor G4's.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 06:21 AM

IMO, if you get a desktop + laptop, it's because the desktop has features or power just not feasible with a laptop, or because one machine will be unusable for periods of time (compiling, rendering, family member borrowed the laptop for a couple days, et cetera).

For that machine, most of the benefit you'd be getting could be gotten through peripherals. Get a monitor to hook it up to (you'd have spanning, better than a "standard" desktop setup...), a firewire enclosure or two (superdrive, hard drive), speakers, keyboard/mouse, et cetera. Plug it all in and you've got yourself an instant desktop when you come home.

Only thing I see an issue with is iDVD not recognizing external burners. Keep in mind, though, dvd burners can be purchased for a internal upgrade, although I don't think they're that cheap.

Overall though, I think creating a great desktop environment for your powerbook is a better deal. Comes out cheaper in the end, unless "looking for a tower to compliment it" means "I need a computer for the kids".

lenox
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 12:37 PM

Internal DVD burners are quite cheap, just make sure you get a pioneer dvr-10* model (as this is the series apple ships their machines with).

Forum Links
Forum Rules