Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is this true? (re: KVM Switch)

Is this true? (re: KVM Switch)
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 10:54 PM

Hey all,
I recently purchased a Belkin KVM switch, and about 75% of the time that I put my powerbook to sleep while connected to it, I got a kernel panic. I emailed Belkin's customer support and I got a response saying that you shouldn't put a computer to sleep or use any power management modes while connected to a KVM switch. That seems kinda bunk to me. Does anyone with more knowledge about KVM switches know if that's true, or if I got a BS response? Thanks!

shainadir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 02:34 AM

I have a dvi kvm from linkskey that I use with my mac mini and pc and have no problems putting either to sleep. I think that the Belkin guys are giving you a bunch of BS because of all the bad reviews their getting on their Soho line of KVM switches.
Do or Do Not... There is No Try.

Notebook: Apple Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 1gb ram, 80 gb hdd, Ati 9700 64mb , 15.2 wxga.

Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2 Ghz P4, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvdia Geforce 6800 GTO, 20" Apple Cinema Display :)

Mac Mini: 1.42ghz, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hdd, Linkskey DVI USB KVM to tie everything together.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2005, 03:06 AM

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I thought that sounded pretty bogus to me.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 05:20 PM

I use one of their (much cheaper) analog KVM switches and it works near-perfectly... I say near because it occasionally switches without being asked (about twice a week). I have no problem with either or both computers connected to it sleeping/waking.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2005, 05:02 AM

I use a Belkin SOHO F1DS102T KVM with my G5 and a PC and it works fine in sleep mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules