Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying decision...need advice

Buying decision...need advice
JZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 10:16 PM

I am in a tough spot shopping for a new mac to replace my iMac G4 700mhz. I'm a graphic designer and working on this machine is getting to be pretty painful.

I had all but settled on a new 20" G5 iMac 2.0ghz/512mb/250gb/etc. That is so compelling since the recent update - especially in terms of price/performance. I looked at a Powermac, but aside from the second proc and increased bus speed, they are so similar despite the dramatic difference in price. iMac just seems to make more sense. But then, I just don't have a good grasp of how much I would benefit from a dual proc machine.

Just when I had this all settled, a friend comes along with a offer for me. He's got a Dual 1.8 G5 with 1gb/120gb/etc. His given me a good price so that I could get that and a decent display for about the same price as the 20" iMac. But my reservation is that this is a year old system with year old tech. The advantage of the iMac is it has a larger hard drive, built-in blue tooth, a dual layer Superdrive (I assume but didn't ask that the powermac has a single layer), and a better video card (64mb nvidia vs. 128 ATI 9600).

So what do you think? The cost benefit seems to be null if I have to put a $300 video card and other upgrades in to match what I would be getting with an iMac.

What would you do? Is the dual processor such a compelling feature that I should ignore the other shortcomings when compared to the new iMac? Looking to the future, I might get more life out of the iMac since it has newer tech...?

I'm stuck.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2005, 11:23 PM

I'd say go with the Dual 1.8

OS X is optimized for dual processors plus the ATi video card is actually superior to the nvidia offering in the old iMac.

The newer iMac has the same or a very similar ATi video card.

JZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 12:24 AM

Actually, you misread. The dual 1.8 has the older nvidia card.

zoetrope
Jun 3, 2005, 12:30 AM

JZ, the bigger question here is did your friend purchase Apple Care with that PowerMac. If so, it can be transferred and then your answer is clear. You should buy the dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac. If not, and it really is older than a year, I would be very leery because you're buying used equipment that is essentially unprotected and you'll have to pay a high price for hardware failure.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

JZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 12:34 AM

yeah, that is my concern as well. no apple care.

zoetrope
Jun 3, 2005, 12:46 AM

As far as I know, after the original warranty expires on Apple purchased equipment you cannot extend that warranty with Apple Care. If the hard drive, video card, or memory goes bad it won't be that expensive to replace. If one or both of the dual procs goes belly up, or a PCI slot, etc... then its a different story. You're really taking a big risk by purchasing equipment NOT covered under Apple Care, particularly a PowerMac. I would suggest that you then go ahead and purchase the iMac, or look into what Apple is offering for refurbed equipment. They probably won't offer the same deal your friend is, but it might be worth a look.

Apple Store Refurbs
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 05:58 AM

What is the definition of a "good price"? If you let us know, we may be able to provide superior advice. FWIW, many of us believe there is less of a need to purchase Apple Care for desktops (unless you are aware of known issues like the iMac capacitor problem). I hope I don't regret saying that - I have three weeks to decide if I want Apple Care for my G5. I think I'm pretty well covered with Safeware, though; besides, the two times I purchased extended Mac warranties I never needed servicing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 09:06 AM

I don't want to be coy with the price, but basically this deal has taken price out of the equation. With a little swapping around I could get my friend's G5 dual 1.8 and a 20" display for just a few hundred more than the base 20" iMac.

Yes, if he's past the first year I can't add Applecare to this. I'm a strong believer in Applecare as they upgraded me in the past from a 400myz iMac DV to a G4 imac 700.

zoetrope
Jun 3, 2005, 02:19 PM

Usually, if there's a problem with hardware, it shows itself within the first six months to a year. I took a look at Safeware and it looks like that might be an option for you if you plan to buy the Dual 1.8 PM. I own a Dual 2.7 w/ a 20" ACD, and Tiger just has "teh snappy". And rhogue islander is right, OS X is optimized for dual procs.

I only have personal experience with Apple Care, but I wonder if anyone might chime in that has experience with Safware. They appear to be a legit company.

Forum Links
Forum Rules