Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 22)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2010, 03:10 PM

Why limit yourself? be at the top of both the leader-board and the k/d ratio.

-

My new kill-streak combo is Harrier > Pave Low > AC-130

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Why limit yourself? be at the top of both the leader-board and the k/d ratio.
It's knowing your limits. Some people can't effectively a pace that would put them at the top without incurring lots of deaths. Particularly when starting out.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's knowing your limits. Some people can't effectively a pace that would put them at the top without incurring lots of deaths. Particularly when starting out.
I guess? Less time dying = more time for killing!

It's really all about getting the kill-streak rewards to do the work for you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 03:29 PM

Yeah, but you have to be able to get that 5 (or in your case, 7) uninterrupted to start it off. If that were easy, everyone would be awesome at this game.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 03:47 PM

The cave, eh? I find the bunker much more defensible. I probably haven't spent more than 5 or 10 minutes in the cave out of all my gameplay.
I hadn't spent much time in the cave either until this game. Thought I would try something different. It helped alot that my teammates were defending the two outside pathways leading to our area. I only had to worry about enemies coming in from the front of the cave (near the plane). I found a good spot where I could go prone and see the entire entry as well as the top of the plane and boxes outside of the cave. With Coldblooded Pro, they couldn't see me and even if they scoped me, I didn't show up. That with a silencer and they had no idea where the shots were coming from. After 3 kills or so, I would shift position so they couldn't rely on the kill cam to locate me. I finally got overwhelmed when I ran out of ammo. Might try RPD w/ Silencer for this class so my ammo lasts longer. Either that or try to get the extended mags for the guns I normally use for this class.

On another note, K/D went from 0.75 to 0.80 over the weekend and from 0.80 to 0.82 last night (had some really good games last night). My goal is to get to at least a K/D of 1. Sucks when you hose your K/D to start out - takes forever to get it up (I know, I know, that's what she said )

Anyhoo, I know most of you play on the 360, but for those on PS3, shoot me a friend request and please put "NN" in your message so I know where it came from.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 03:51 PM

It's really all about getting the kill-streak rewards to do the work for you.
There is no more truth than that. Predator normally only get me 1, maybe 2. But Harrier has been racking up 4-5 kills at least (thus getting me my Pave Low) and Pave Low about the same. Hmmm, Harrier, Pave Low, AC-130? That's a devastating combo. Not sure if I'm reaady to go for a 7 kill streak without a Kill Streak reward to help yet. I just started get 5 kill streaks on a semi-regular basis.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I hadn't spent much time in the cave either until this game. Thought I would try something different. It helped alot that my teammates were defending the two outside pathways leading to our area. I only had to worry about enemies coming in from the front of the cave (near the plane). I found a good spot where I could go prone and see the entire entry as well as the top of the plane and boxes outside of the cave. With Coldblooded Pro, they couldn't see me and even if they scoped me, I didn't show up. That with a silencer and they had no idea where the shots were coming from. After 3 kills or so, I would shift position so they couldn't rely on the kill cam to locate me. I finally got overwhelmed when I ran out of ammo. Might try RPD w/ Silencer for this class so my ammo lasts longer. Either that or try to get the extended mags for the guns I normally use for this class.
I have a silenced RPD/cold-blooded class. It's quite effective.

On another note, K/D went from 0.75 to 0.80 over the weekend and from 0.80 to 0.82 last night (had some really good games last night). My goal is to get to at least a K/D of 1. Sucks when you hose your K/D to start out - takes forever to get it up
True, but its the nature of the game. Also, everyone on you friends list likely hosed theirs, relative to their current k/d

Personally, I wouldn't mind if these games had something like a "Last 100" k/d, just to let you know how you're doing. 'Course, now that I've prestiged it might make me cringe.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2010, 04:22 PM

True, but its the nature of the game. Also, everyone on you friends list likely hosed theirs, relative to their current k/d
My K/D when I first started was actually higher, for the first 1000 or so kills, I had a 2.8 k/d.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if these games had something like a "Last 100" k/d, just to let you know how you're doing. 'Course, now that I've prestiged it might make me cringe.
Something like that would be welcomed, I find myself calculating my ratio on a per game basis, keeping track of those and averaging them at the end of my session.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 04:28 PM

My K/D when I first started was actually higher, for the first 1000 or so kills, I had a 2.8 k/d.
Yeah, I remember when it was in the low 2.3s

Something like that would be welcomed, I find myself calculating my ratio on a per game basis, keeping track of those and averaging them at the end of my session.
Good call, a "This session average" wouldn't hurt. Actually, it'd probably hurt me, as I'd probably obsess to the point of it changing my game.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
(I've been trying to get ahead of Fatty Mcblobicus, whoever that is)
That would be me, and I assume you are MechWolf OSX?

I was keeping up with the pack until about a month ago, when I switched to another video game entirely. Now my closest competitors are MechWolf (you?) already more (no idea?) and Adam Betts.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 04:48 PM

already more is kavVka's old tag. Now its his brother.

---

New train of thought: Have you guys noticed an uptick in AA-12 use lately? They've been blasting me quite a bit more often the past week and a half, two weeks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 04:49 PM

In other news I am having a 'video game night' tonight, which is simply a binding agreement with my g/f that I deserve one entire night to myself to play video games.

I might, if I'm brave, play some HC unless I see Dakar and/or Boy8 on. Otherwise it's Ground War all night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 04:50 PM

HC Ground War?

I'm recovering from... some kind of virus... so I plan on being on most of the night.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2010, 04:59 PM

I'll be on from around 9:30 est.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 05:02 PM

Well if you're on then I probably won't play either HC TDM or Ground War.

My recent reboot of playing this game had me very frustrated in TDM so I switched to Ground War in order to pad my k/d, which it really didn't. For some odd reason I play much, much better when I'm playing with somebody I know. It's almost like you and Boy8 could just sit there motionless all game and I'd still do better than usual.

At some point, maybe when the weather warms a bit, I play on bringing my TV and 360 to my buddy Cheezy's house for an epic all-day adventure. Much like when we bought GoW2 the day it came out, bought a 30-rack of beer, and played for 10 straight hours beating the game.

On that note cheezy is destroying me right now. He is level 53 or so on his 2nd prestige, also he has upped his k/d to 1.4 Before I took the break we were neck and neck every day, with me being ahead in points. Now I'm so far back I don't even feel the need to compete anymore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 05:06 PM

I thought everyone hated Domination?

Glad you think of me as a good luck charm, by other buddy refused to party with me/us for a while because he said he always did worse.

Speaking of Ground War, I jumped in a game on Karachi the other day. 18 people suits that map well. The teams were in the usual spots, but thanks to the 6 extra guys, there were constant skirmishes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 05:21 PM

I use Domination as an excuse to simply kill folks and not care about capturing the control points.

Otherwise Domination annoys the hell out of me on mostly every map.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2010, 05:43 PM

I find myself competing for kills when I play with Dakar, and by competing with, I mean I shoot the guy first and he gets the kill credit. Every. Freaking. Time. I actually had some fun playing against Dakar for a few matches, but I don't think he shares the enthusiasm for that matchup.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 06:22 PM

All the hate for Domination...

I actually really like the mode. I prefer TDM over everything else, but I haven't found Domination to be so bad. S&D is definitely better, though.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 06:37 PM

No love for Sabotage from you guys? If not, why? It's my preferred game mode but I'm not sure why. :shrug:

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 10:29 PM

Actually I crunched the numbers, and I average around 11 kills and 5 deaths per game. SO if you're doing 12, you're outpacing me.
Hey, I guessed. I thought you were doing over 16 on average. I didn't have time to crunch the numbers.

I'd like to officially kill the matchmaking system. I must spend half my time getting lag servers, being disconnected, being reconnected to wait forever, being thrown into games with less than 30 seconds left, being thrown into matches with only 3 people in the match, having a great game and the game ends and disconnects before giving me my match bonus, and I can go on and on... WTF is it with this match-making system.

Once I find a good match, I usually try to stay with it.
( Last edited by Leonard; Jan 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 12:51 PM

I find myself competing for kills when I play with Dakar, and by competing with, I mean I shoot the guy first and he gets the kill credit. Every. Freaking. Time.
Yeah, we have very similar styles and vision, apparently. I'm surprised we don't find teaming up annoying sometimes.

I actually had some fun playing against Dakar for a few matches, but I don't think he shares the enthusiasm for that matchup.
Proof stats don't tell the whole story.

That game on Scrapyard turned personal really quick. I don't think is was very illustrative of my usual skill, though.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
All the hate for Domination...

I actually really like the mode. I prefer TDM over everything else, but I haven't found Domination to be so bad. S&D is definitely better, though.
No love for Sabotage from you guys? If not, why? It's my preferred game mode but I'm not sure why. :shrug:
I suck at Objective games. Flat-out. Oh, I could probably win them more by body-spamming, but I ****ing loathe dying, so it's not an option.

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Hey, I guessed. I thought you were doing over 16 on average. I didn't have time to crunch the numbers.
Maybe I do... when I'm in your lobbies.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2010, 01:06 PM

I used to play alot of objective games on Halo as I did better on them, but then I don't think I worried about getting killed on Halo. I would gladly sacrifice myself for the team in Halo. I guess it was because game wins were important on Halo. You got XP for the game win not for your K/D.

For some reason on MW2 I seem to care about my K/D ratio. It may have something to do with all those other people on my leaderboard and some sort of need to compete with them. So then I typically play TDM on MW2. I tried Sabotage, but everybody seemed to be waiting for someone to pick up the bomb. I tried Demolition, once and I probably should try it again, as the one time I tried it I got added in the middle of the game.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2010, 01:08 PM

To reiterate, I love the ACR. Unlocked it a few days back and I'm already nearing 500 kills with it.

Great accuracy.
Little recoil.
Spews bullets.

The majority of my classes are variations of perks and grenade options with the ACR. My most used is Scavenger Pro / Cold Blooded / Ninja with ACR and Stinger.

Also, after hearing ol' Dakar talk about it I made a Danger Close class with the Thumper, and of course ACR. Very fun though I will always forget I don't have Cold Blooded when it comes to enemy air support time.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
To reiterate, I love the ACR. Unlocked it a few days back and I'm already nearing 500 kills with it.

Great accuracy.
Little recoil.
Spews bullets.

The majority of my classes are variations of perks and grenade options with the ACR. My most used is Scavenger Pro / Cold Blooded / Ninja with ACR and Stinger.

Also, after hearing ol' Dakar talk about it I made a Danger Close class with the Thumper, and of course ACR. Very fun though I will always forget I don't have Cold Blooded when it comes to enemy air support time.
I just unlocked this last night. Haven't tried it out yet but will soon. Does it carry more ammo than the M16, M4, and/or SCAR? The reason I ask is I tend to run out of ammo with those guns. Is Scavenger Pro a must have with this gun?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 01:31 PM

BTW, you guys should embarrassed that last night, I, the guy who is a complete pussy, was the only person who thought to flank the team on Sub Base. And I killed that sniper a couple times thanks to it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2010, 01:34 PM

I just unlocked this last night. Haven't tried it out yet but will soon. Does it carry more ammo than the M16, M4, and/or SCAR? The reason I ask is I tend to run out of ammo with those guns. Is Scavenger Pro a must have with this gun?
The clip is larger than the SCAR, but without Scav Pro you get the same starting ammo as the other ARs. Scavenger Pro isn't a 'must-have' I use two other ACR classes without it. On maps that I tend to do more shooting than others I'll use my Scav class.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 01:42 PM

The SCAR is by far the worst. I consider it unusable without Scavenger. The M16 I'm not familiar with, but I find the FAMAS passable without it.

I've used a silenced M4 with some success, and god knows silencers make you use more bullets. ACR is very similar stats, so results shouldn't be too different.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2010, 03:42 PM

BTW, you guys should embarrassed that last night, I, the guy who is a complete pussy, was the only person who thought to flank the team on Sub Base. And I killed that sniper a couple times thanks to it.
I was busy getting jipped out of my kill-streak rewards.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2010, 04:56 PM

The SCAR is by far the worst. I consider it unusable without Scavenger. The M16 I'm not familiar with, but I find the FAMAS passable without it.

I've used a silenced M4 with some success, and god knows silencers make you use more bullets. ACR is very similar stats, so results shouldn't be too different.
The M16 is about the same as the FAMAS. Both are 3-shot and have good accuracy (at least for me). I like using either as a sniper rifle/regular rifle, with a silencer and reddot, on Underpass or Wasteland. I've got many a longshot headkill with the M16.

M4 is a nice starter rifle, it's similar to the ACR, I used to like using it for everything depending on the attachment, until I got the ACR and got the timing down for the 3-shot rifles.

If I didn't need to get the challenge for the Scavenger VI perk, I'd probably stay with Bling Pro on all my classes, but now that I'm trying to complete all the challenges, I'm trying to use all the perks.

Scavenger is a favourite of mine when you've unlocked only one attachment for a rifle. It's probably the only perk in the Perk 1 row that gives you something useful other than Bling Pro.

edit: stay away from the F2000 (I think that's what it's called), it runs through bullets super-fast. You think the SCAR is bad, the F2000 is worse.
( Last edited by Leonard; Jan 13, 2010 at 05:02 PM. )
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 05:06 PM

Yeah , that's the tough part about perks. Each tier has two that always stand out above the rest.

Tier one it's Scavenger and Bling, two stopping power and cold-blooded and tier three is pretty much ninja.

Still, I use Marathon, Danger Close, StitRep, and Last Stand on some classes. They can be useful with the right set-up and right map.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2010, 07:34 PM

Yeah , that's the tough part about perks. Each tier has two that always stand out above the rest.

Tier one it's Scavenger and Bling, two stopping power and cold-blooded and tier three is pretty much ninja.

Still, I use Marathon, Danger Close, StitRep, and Last Stand on some classes. They can be useful with the right set-up and right map.
Steady Aim? Pro?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 10:09 PM

That's key only for snipers.

Rumor
Jan 14, 2010, 04:27 AM

I finally hopped on and you bastards aren't on.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 08:34 AM

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Hits $1 Billion

And they'll be laughing all the way to the bank again in a couple of months when the sure to be overpriced maps come out.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Hits $1 Billion

And they'll be laughing all the way to the bank again in a couple of months when the sure to be overpriced maps come out.
...and almost everyone will buy them.

I haven't bought a map pack since the Halo 2 days. How much do y'all expect it to run?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 11:45 AM

What's the question?

Edit: Oh cost. 800 MS Super-fun bucks ($10)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 11:59 AM

So Fatty unwisely decided to join my clan of clowns last night. I think he stuck around 2 - 3 games. Tip Fatty: You don't have to quit a game to join us. Especially when chances are we're going to take a break. I usually give someone 2-4 min before moving on.

I finally met one of the oft-rumored M21 spammers last night. M21, ACOG, SP. Would always spam like 4-6 shots as fast as he could (which is damn fast) for every kill. Jus turrible.

Highlight of the night: I had an amazing sequence where I got stunned, and got a throwing knife kill. Which is awesome... except the challenge for doing that wasn't unlocked yet, so it didn't count for shit. (FML WTF BBQ)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
...and almost everyone will buy them.

I haven't bought a map pack since the Halo 2 days. How much do y'all expect it to run?
Yep, I'll definitely be buying them, at least the first pack.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 01:39 PM

Me too. Me Sheep. Me good consumer.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 01:41 PM

I'll buy it, but I'll be so pissed if they include any small maps (Scrapyard, Rust, Favela sized). I'd prefer they include 4 instead of bungie's cheap ass three.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That would be me, and I assume you are MechWolf OSX?

I was keeping up with the pack until about a month ago, when I switched to another video game entirely. Now my closest competitors are MechWolf (you?) already more (no idea?) and Adam Betts.
Oops, I seemed to have missed a few old emails. I guess I skimmed to fast.

Yes, I'm MechWolfOSX.

Right now I'm spending most of my time on MW2. I have Assassin's Creed II on the shelf, I'm just waiting till I complete 2 achievements on Wolfenstein. I also want to try a couple of the MW2 Special Ops missions on solo first to see what they are and how they play. I thought it was mandatory to have 2 people to do the Spec Ops mission, but when I finished the MW2 single player missions I noticed there was a solo option on the Spec Ops.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 03:14 PM

I'll buy it, but I'll be so pissed if they include any small maps (Scrapyard, Rust, Favela sized). I'd prefer they include 4 instead of bungie's cheap ass three.
Maybe you should wait until all the new maps are bundled with Modern Warfare: ODST.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 03:20 PM

If I get sick of MW2s multi between now and when the maps come out I will, smart ass.

<3

(A wise investment, considering all those hours I logged on the mythic maps)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 03:49 PM

So Fatty unwisely decided to join my clan of clowns last night. I think he stuck around 2 - 3 games. Tip Fatty: You don't have to quit a game to join us. Especially when chances are we're going to take a break. I usually give someone 2-4 min before moving on.
It was 4 games, and I actually did pretty damn well considering my level of skill as of late. The first game where I was playing against you I had a sweet kill on RudaAC. He shot me from inside the warehouse on Underpass, I reeled back, threw a flash, got him, and ran in and knifed his ass.

As for the quit, I was just SOOOO excited that you sent me an invite.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 03:59 PM

I think you saved Ruda's ass in one of the later games, too. But yeah, in that group of four he's by far the low man on totem poll. He's averaging a .62 k/d right now.
(Earlier we had some other dude they went to HS with and he went 0-11. He left for obvious reasons)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 04:01 PM

Heh, that was against the guy who was dominating our team. I was prone in the hallway area in the back of Favela, Ruda ran past with that dude on his tail and I knifed him from the prone position. I am unsure if Ruda knew he was being chased.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 04:03 PM

I miss about 50% of invites because I hate quitting mid-match, and no one wants to wait around for an invitee (and I don't blame 'em).

I just wish it wouldn't delete the invite after you try to accept it and fail due to the party being in mid-match.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 04:03 PM

No. Maybe you didn't hear, but I saw it from one of the roofs and I yelled "Ruda behind you!" as you knifed, and then I'm like "Nevermind, Fatty saved your ass."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I finally hopped on and you bastards aren't on.
Finished with Borderlands?

Forum Links
Forum Rules