Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Wtb G3 Powerbook

Wtb G3 Powerbook
jmscharff2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 06:01 PM

Hey guys,

I am looking to get an apple laptop just to have some fun with. Speed is not a big issue neither is hard drive space I have a laptop with all the best specs but you just can't beat apples products.

I was hoping to take an old powerbook G3 off someones hands I was looking to pay in the ballpark of $100. I am a college student so not a lot of cash flow but if you feel you think its a fair deal email me. I also don't want a laptop that is broken or dosn't work all parts I would hope would work with a battery and power charger and all parts still in the computer. I only say this because I have looked on ebay and for some reason 80 bucks buys you a broken computer, I don't quite get it thats why I thought I would check out buying on forums.

feel free to email me or PM me on the forums. Please include the specs of the item that you are offering.

Thanks,
Jon

uicandrew
Senior User
Nov 3, 2007, 09:02 PM

the g3 powerbook was used on sex and the city so those are relatively "collectible" models. they were huge improvements over the "kanga" models. you might be able to get a kanga G3 powerbook around $100, but i don't think you'll get a lombard/wallstreet/pismo.

just a heads up
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 12:40 AM

I think you could get a wallstreet for $100 or even less since it doesn't even have USB. If you want a lombard (usb) or a pismo (usb and firewire) you are looking at a bit more cash since people love those machines.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jmscharff2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 01:03 AM

well if the one without the USB ports has a DVD ROM drive that would be fine ofcourse I would love to have USB but since I am on a slight budget beggers can't be choosers :-P

but thanks for the heads up

Jon

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2007, 12:12 AM

I have a Lombard Powerbook 333Mhz G3, 128mb RAM, 4gig HDD
CD drive, Zip Drive, 2 batteries (though they don't hold much, if any charge), and best of all it supports X.3
specs
It is pretty easy to upgrade it to 400Mhz since the processor is on a daughter card. You can pick one up on eBay or maybe from someone here. Going wireless is easy too. I had a Asante PC card that worked with native Airport software.

The one thing that its missing is the AC charger. I have one that fits it but I use that with my Clamshell iBook. So I know the powerbook still works its just that I have no charger to sell with it.

make me an offer and maybe we can work out a deal.
Beerology - View Feedback: Langdon

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2007, 07:00 PM

private message responded to

Sorry about pic quality I had to use my cellphone since I didn't have my regular camera with me.

( Last edited by Langdon; Nov 5, 2007 at 10:00 PM. )

jmscharff2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 10:56 AM

Can an admin please close this thread I have decided to not buy a powerbook g3 after learning some more about them. Thank you Langdon for helping me and all of your imput.

Thanks,

Jon

Forum Links
Forum Rules