Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple losing 'cool' among teens, says marketing group

Apple losing 'cool' among teens, says marketing group
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 10, 2013, 01:26 PM

Apple is losing popularity amongst American teenagers, claims youth-targeted marketing agency the Buzz Marketing Group. "Teens are telling us Apple is done," BMG's Tina Wells remarks to Forbes. "Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older [Millennials], but I don't think they are connecting with Millennial kids. [They're] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy."

Forbes also cites several other teen marketing surveys, in which Apple either remained static or dropped several spots. A Smarty Pants poll still shows 67 percent of rich teenagers wanting an iPhone as their next phone upgrade, but Samsung is in second place at 22 percent -- unusually high considering Apple's once overwhelming dominance in teen preferences. Wells suggests that several factors have hurt Apple's popularity. As Apple has encountered glitches in some of its products, other companies have filled in the gap with innovative products that are frequently cheaper. Samsung has also been spending millions of dollars on marketing campaigns which portray the iPhone as a device for parents and late adopters, and phones like the Galaxy S III as the "next big thing." A recurring theme in Samsung ads has been the absurdity of waiting in line for a smartphone, something which still happens with every iPhone launch. Conversely however, Wells argues that Apple can reclaim momentum. "Everything moves in cycles and you can't rest on your past glory. You've got to evolve to maintain relevance. Apple just needs to focus on innovation and teens will come back," she says.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2013, 01:58 PM

"[They're] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy."

Haha, nice one. Surface tablets, sure. They're crazy about them. Absolutely.
Having said that, I have no trouble believing that Apple's image in that demographic is currently fading. Consumer infatuation, especially in that age group, isn't a long-term thing, so it's natural to go up and down. Looking forward to whatever Apple is cooking up to counter that.

daqman
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2013, 02:16 PM

My kids are in that age group and they, and their friends, are still into Apple products. The problem is price so it depends how you ask them. For example my son wants an iPad like mine but is settling for a Kindle fire at $170 and that is what he will say he "wants" but it's not what he rally wants.

I haven't heard anyone in that age group say they want a Microsoft product when given the option of something else.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

mgpalma
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2013, 02:29 PM

I love 'research studies.' Judging by my kids friends and just looking around the mall I find very little evidence to support this ridiculous conclusion, but whatever. I doubt Apple is blind or ignorant to 'the current trends.'
-
Michael

Bobfozz
Jan 10, 2013, 02:33 PM

I've never heard these Android type statements. I think ti depends on HOW the question is framed, so how come we never actually see what the survey question is?

And the previous poster is right... you can be sure Apple is keeping its hand on the pulse and what with all the machinations Samsung is willing to spend money on, it's hard to know whether the "fix" was in.

Sosa
Senior User
Jan 10, 2013, 02:55 PM

With so many people now owning Apple devices, I'm sure it is no longer as cool to own one for some people as it once was. However among the teenagers in my family it remains extremely popular.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 10, 2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mgpalma View Post
I love 'research studies.' Judging by my kids friends and just looking around the mall I find very little evidence to support this ridiculous conclusion, but whatever. I doubt Apple is blind or ignorant to 'the current trends.'
Gotta love ridiculous logic, too.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2013, 04:55 PM

LOL. Surface? Galaxy? Once the kiddies get past the My First iPad Clone and My First iPhone Clone "rebellious youth" stage, they'll go with Apple. But really, the original BMG story smells like a clumsy astroturfing attempt by Microsoft and/or Samsung. Or by BMG if they're either shorting AAPL or driving it down as much as possible before buying after the FYQ1 earnings call.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2013, 05:03 PM

It is disappointing that Forbes would quote such a patently lying and/or paid off person such as BMG's Tina Wells: "[They’re] all about Surface tablets/laptops..."

The Surface RT has nothing going for it in a crowed field of very good tablets. Few have been sold so it is unlikely every teen's friend has one, and I do not believe Microsoft has directed its marketing at the teenybopper set. No way.

And there still is no Surface Pro and won't be for weeks. The idea that teens are "...all about Surface tablets/laptops..." is clearly a fabrication from Ms. Wells. Maybe she seeks a marketing contract from monkey boy; it is his kind of hyperbole.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
Apple is losing popularity amongst American teenagers
Is this really a surprise to anyone??

What is considered 'in' and what's 'out' changes all the time. Like all other fads, the iCraze will pass.

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2013, 06:17 PM

Teenagers are "into" surface tablets? This research was bought and paid for by Steve Ballmer and everybody knows it. This is too funny for words. This is milk coming out of my nose funny.

saoir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 PM

Yawwwwwn ... Smacks of Buzz trying to energise it's client base and pitching for business from Apple competition.....

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2013, 08:15 PM

Time for Generation K-6. If they can test that high.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

macjohn555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2013, 08:43 PM

If you just look at the social media, kids still very much want iProducts. I would follow the money trail on this. Maybe samsung/microsoft funded this study?

will-am-tell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2013, 09:43 PM

Having worked for Apple for ten years.
It's sad and true that Apple was just a fad, since Mr.Jobs passed away.
In one of our closed circuit meetings, Mr Jobs told us that we would never "rest on our laurels"., And they have.
He also told us that we would never Cannibalize each others departments,like iPhone and iPod and of course the mini and the iPad all look very similar. And they have.
The whole reason he created the iPhone was, He hated the stylus!!. And now Apple is getting ready to patten one.!
Apple was the forerunner, the leader, the inventor.and now the follower.Looks like they have dropped the ball many times.Such as the "tiles" that other phones are utilizing. The "Surface" was right under their noses.And now the new kid on the block.
WOW.....Apple what happened to you??
Did you lose sight of Mr.Jobs vision? were you asleep in the meetings.?.
So sad to see a man's hard work go down the toilet.
Tim Cook Should either quit or look for another Jobs out there.
"Here's To The Crazy Ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the
square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have
no respect for the status-quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the
human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world - are the ones who DO
Looks like the "Status-quo" has made way into Apple, With your college know-it-all kids looking to use Apple as just a stepping stone.
Is it ok now?, that you have "let-go" of the people that continued to have the same vision of Apple.
Good luck to the employees that actually cared of Apple and what Apple was.I hope you all find good jobs.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2013, 10:07 PM

Okay first: will-am-tell, you're not an Apple employee. With writing like that you'd have never passed the first interview. Nice try, troll.

Second: the idea that teens (generally) are into the Surface is the most blatantly bought-and-paid-for thing I have heard come out of someone's mouth who wasn't a member of Congress. Let's look at the sales figures on the Surface ...

... okay, no, teens are not into the Surface. So much for that.

The Galaxy S III isn't a bad product, I'm sure lots of people like it. Too bad it's already "out of date" with the arrival of the S IV in March. Ah well.

What bothers me most about this study (other than it was bought and paid for by Apple's competitors, quite obviously) is that it paints all teenagers as superficial zombies incapable of liking anything that's not cool. That's not how I remember my own teen years, or that of my peers. Yes, one tends to be influenced more by hype and trends when you are younger, but you do still appreciate when something turns out to be a really solid product, good value for money or just generally excellent.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly on that, but they do CONTINUE to make sweet and awesome stuff. The iPad and iPad mini were THE hot gifts this year, and the iPod Touch continues to dominate the mobile gaming scene, and the iPhone continues to (very obviously) sell to teens and other groups. In short, this "study" is so full of carp that it is simply laughable on its face.

I look forward to seeing all those Surface tablets in the wild that I haven't yet seen. Hopefully with lots of choreographed throwing them around.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Okay first: will-am-tell, you're not an Apple employee. With writing like that you'd have never passed the first interview. Nice try, troll.
Kernel of truth and all that, I'm guessing sales drone, fired after the contractual trial period was up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2013, 04:48 AM

FWIW, I'm seeing kids' reactions to the iDevices as Apple being Cool in the same way a Mercedes or a BMW is "cool" — sort of out-of-my-league cool.

Samsung is indeed where it's at, but purely because it's the solution affordable within their horizon. One of my students flipped when her uncle gave her his hand-me-down iPod touch.

The Apple stuff is still the gold standard.

will-am-tell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2013, 12:08 PM

Troll,.??...really??..Look Fan-boy!..or cyber bully!..keep your name calling to your self just like your moma taught you!.
I'm GLAD that you had an adult read this for you!.kudos to that adult.Just because you live in your parents basement and you hate the world.Never mind the fact that your in your late 40's...
Be a little nicer, Because one day when your in the real world (up the stairs from your basement) and you talk like this.Expect to get punched in your fat mouth.
Yes I did work for Apple for ten years in Manufacturing,Logistics,then Service center.Finally left for personal reason a pea brain like you could never understand.Unless an ADULT can explain it to you during story time.
Just be a nicer lil troll...ok..??

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 11, 2013, 01:12 PM

anyone miss me yet?? ahh no need.... maybe next round.

abnyc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2013, 03:59 PM

This article isn't even astro-turfing, it's wanna be ...
your mother

PJL500
Jan 12, 2013, 09:36 PM

McApple gets boring eventually....

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 16, 2013, 04:24 PM

McApple.... lovin it!!! stay crApple, POOPertino. HAHA

Tom53092
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2013, 02:24 PM

First, I'm always surprised at the market share that iPhone does have with teens. Can most parents really afford the cost of an iPhone and a 2-year plan for their teens? I'd say that *any* market share in the teen market is a bonus, let's not worry about them driving the company's sales.

Second, Tina from Buzz Marketing graduated 10 years ago. Isn't she getting a bit too old to connect with teens? Heck, she's old enough to have a teen of her own. Shouldn't this company be like Menudo - retire them when they get too old?

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM

Menudo??.... Ricky Martin reference??? haha!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jeronimo2000 View Post
"[They're] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy."

Haha, nice one. Surface tablets, sure. They're crazy about them. Absolutely.
Having said that, I have no trouble believing that Apple's image in that demographic is currently fading. Consumer infatuation, especially in that age group, isn't a long-term thing, so it's natural to go up and down. Looking forward to whatever Apple is cooking up to counter that.
Maybe the Galaxy but not the Surface tablets...doubt the youth think anything Microsoft is cool.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

benjitek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2013, 04:17 PM

These would be those creepy people with clipboards who hang out at malls and try to get 'a moment of your time' to stop and answer their survey questions.

The cool-kids aren't the ones who stop to answer

Forum Links
Forum Rules