Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Appleworks on Intel (part 2)

Appleworks on Intel (part 2)
Ham Sandwich
Apr 30, 2009, 03:19 PM

Hey folks, I tried to add a post to the original thread (here) so that I didn't clutter up the forums, but vBulletin won't let me do that, so I have to start a new one.

The folks in the original thread say that they got Appleworks to "just work" on intel machines. But Appleworks just quits on launch for me.

I have an iMac G5 with Appleworks 6.2.9 on it, works fine (in Version, it says: "AppleWorks 6.2.9 for Mac OS X Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 1991-2003"). When I transfer the Appleworks folder to my MacBook and launch Appleworks, it doesn't launch. The Appleworks icon stays in the dock for a few seconds, then disappears, and no Appleworks windows launch.

What's going on??

iMac G5
PowerPC
1.6 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

MacBook
Core 2 Duo
2.1 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

P.S. Only recently on campus did I discover that Appleworks worked on intel machines, because the copies of Appleworks on campus running on the glossy screen iMacs (running 10.5.x) launch Appleworks no problem.

I couldn't find any discussion of Appleworks "not working" on Intels anywhere on the internet.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 30, 2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Left out the terminal apostrophie for the quote in Version.)

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009, 11:00 PM

Have you removed the aliases out of this folder yet?
~/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/Starting Points/Recent Items
[there's also a Cache folder in that Starting Points directory]

How about dumping the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appleworks.plist ?
[there are also more prefs and caches in the folder ~/Library/Preferences/AppleWorks]
-HI-

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 11:10 PM

Do any PowerPC-only apps work on your computer?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 11:25 PM

I wonder if I could run Virtual-PC on my MacBook.
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Cold Warrior
May 1, 2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by cwkmacuser View Post
I wonder if I could run Virtual-PC on my MacBook.
That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and a simple Google search would answer your question anyway. Let's stay on-topic.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 12:31 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, as I don't mean to insult you. I think that was on topic. Chuck asked about PowerPC apps working on an intel. I was simply saying I would be curious what the result is if I tried it. Guess I should have been more specific. Anyway, as I have nothing relevant to contribute here, I will move on to other threads!
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 01:21 AM

Virtual PC has nothing to do with this topic. It doesn't even belong in this forum. No, you won't be able to run it on your MacBook.
Vandelay Industries

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2009, 01:54 AM

Open the Console application, which is in your Utilities folder, then try to launch AppleWorks. See if anything shows up in the console when you do this, and post it if it does.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 02:23 AM

Try the troubleshooting step given in this Apple thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....999&tstart=345

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else could be wrong. People are still using AppleWorks on their Intel Macs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Ham Sandwich
May 1, 2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Try the troubleshooting step given in this Apple thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....999&tstart=345

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else could be wrong. People are still using AppleWorks on their Intel Macs.
Same as:

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Have you removed the aliases out of this folder yet?
~/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/Starting Points/Recent Items
[there's also a Cache folder in that Starting Points directory]

How about dumping the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appleworks.plist ?
[there are also more prefs and caches in the folder ~/Library/Preferences/AppleWorks]
Those files and folders do not yet exist on my MacBook.

All I did was transfer the Appleworks folder from my iMac G5 Applications folder over to the MacBook, so those files never existed on my MacBook

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Do any PowerPC-only apps work on your computer?
Yes. Randiction is a program that I created in Java that works fine.
Also, Firefox works fine, and so does flvThing, KeyNote, WeatherDock, etc.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Open the Console application, which is in your Utilities folder, then try to launch AppleWorks. See if anything shows up in the console when you do this, and post it if it does.
Prior to launching my Appleworks, I cleared the Console window. After trying to launch Appleworks, it quit on me again. The following appeared in Console shortly afterwards:

5/1/09 8:48:57 AM com.apple.launchd[69] ([0x0-0x10010].com.apple.appleworks[109]) Exited with exit code: 215
5/1/09 8:50:16 AM [0x0-0x13013].com.apple.appleworks[118] /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[118] Launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/Appleworks/AppleWorks 6.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleWorks 6
5/1/09 8:50:16 AM com.apple.launchd[69] ([0x0-0x13013].com.apple.appleworks[118]) Exited with exit code: 215
5/1/09 8:50:16 AM com.apple.launchd[69] ([0x0-0x13013].com.apple.appleworks[118]) Exited with exit code: 215

^^^^ What does this mean?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Yes. Randiction is a program that I created in Java that works fine.
Also, Firefox works fine, and so does flvThing, KeyNote, WeatherDock, etc.
Everything you listed is Universal.
Vandelay Industries

Ham Sandwich
May 1, 2009, 12:56 PM

Really? But they're build on a PowerPC. It's the non-Universal apps that shouldn't run on Intel.

Alright, so what are some examples of PowerPC apps to try out on an Intel machine?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 01:04 PM

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to previous replies. You should be able to force some universal apps to run in Rosetta.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 01:13 PM

Yeah, just pick one of your Universal apps, do a Get Info on it and set it to run in Rosetta. If it doesn't work, then Rosetta is borked. If it does work, try copying your AppleWorks again from the original Mac.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Really? But they're build on a PowerPC. It's the non-Universal apps that shouldn't run on Intel.

Alright, so what are some examples of PowerPC apps to try out on an Intel machine?
Where they're built has nothing to do with it. It's how they're built that makes a difference. Non-Universal apps will run on Intel unless there's something wrong with Rosetta or it's a very specific app that is incompatible with Rosetta.
Vandelay Industries

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej
All I did was transfer the Appleworks folder from my iMac G5 Applications folder over to the MacBook, so those files never existed on my MacBook

5/1/09 8:48:57 AM com.apple.launchd[69] ([0x0-0x10010].com.apple.appleworks[109]) Exited with exit code: 215
5/1/09 8:50:16 AM [0x0-0x13013].com.apple.appleworks[118] /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[118] Launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/Appleworks/AppleWorks 6.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleWorks 6

^^^^ What does this mean?
Just copying the Appleworks folder from one Mac to another is probably causing some support files to be missed. Try using the Migration Assistant (as MA will know about what to transfer) or installing Appleworks from the original media.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 01:54 PM

Nah, you can definitely just copy AppleWorks over using the Finder.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 02:01 PM

And it doesn't have dual-forked files either. I verified that on a test machine by transferring it on a FAT flash drive.
Vandelay Industries

amazing
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 02:07 PM

Appleworks runs just fine on my MBP.

Just out of curiosity, log in as another user and see if Appleworks runs at that point.

Most likely, all you have to do is an archive and install, and it'll run OK.

Ham Sandwich
May 1, 2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Yeah, just pick one of your Universal apps, do a Get Info on it and set it to run in Rosetta. If it doesn't work, then Rosetta is borked. If it does work, try copying your AppleWorks again from the original Mac.
When set to open in Rosetta, other applications launch fine.

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
If it does work, try copying your AppleWorks again from the original Mac.
Solution: I tried copying the Appleworks folder from my iMac G5 to my Macbook a second time (i.e. I repeated the old procedure identically, step by step, transferring via my flash drive), and this time, Appleworks launched fine. I've gone as far as restarting my MacBook, and it launched fine.

My flash drive is a Memorex 2GB, model circa 2006. This is the same flash drive/technique that I used the first time, and yet from the first time I did this, Appleworks did not launch. Why was this the case?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2009, 05:37 PM

The only logical answer I can think of is that at least one of your machines is female.

Ham Sandwich
May 1, 2009, 11:06 PM

Yeah well neither of them has a fitting condom, so I guess that makes them lesbians.

Final question: Will Appleworks run on Snow 10.6? Because I still like Appleworks (except for the deadly "Save" bug in 6.2.x) and want to keep using it for like 10 years, or at least until NeoOffice becomes just as fast.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2009, 12:12 AM

It's not possible to answer definitively about Snow Leopard since it isn't finished yet, but nothing that's been announced or leaked about it would stop Appleworks from working.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ray@SAT
Jan 3, 2010, 09:29 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if AppleWorks DOES work on Snow Leopard, since I'll be upgrading my MB Pro soon. Didn't find Appleworks in Apples "Incompatible application list" for 10.6.
AppleWorks works fine on Tiger for me. Even though I hardly use it anymore. It's just to go over some random files once in a while. Just want to know what to expect.
Let me know, please. Thanks,
Ray

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2010, 12:57 PM

My understanding from reading the AppleWorks forum on the Apple website is that AppleWorks does indeed work with SL. Pages will also open AppleWorks word processing files which is what I used when I converted over from AW to Pages. Make sure your AW is the latest version, 6.2.9 I believe.

Also, AppleWorks is no longer supported by Apple.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2010, 07:37 AM

It does work, but I've found that it occasionally has weird bugs - like messing up page margins, so that the document simply won't print, and then refusing to display the dialog options in the appropriate window.

IIRC, I fixed that ('twas on a client's machine) by deleting the AppleWorks preference file(s), so these things can be worked around.

However, it's becoming clear that AppleWorks is no longer a reliable option, and if at all possible, you really, really need to wean yourself off it before it stops working entirely in a few years.

Ray@SAT
Jan 4, 2010, 09:21 AM

Just to know AW will open in SL sounds ok, while I switch to other apps.
I tried opening a document using Pages. It's readable but messy, since the document mixes text, images and spreadsheets, which BTW, was great in AppleWorks.
Ray

Forum Links
Forum Rules