Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking 10.3.2 and YDL 3.0.1 (or trying to ...)

Networking 10.3.2 and YDL 3.0.1 (or trying to ...)
Drash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 06:47 AM

setup: iMac G3 266 MHz running Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 connected to 1GHz eMac running 10.3.2 via an ADSL Ethernet router/firewall/switch.

Apologies if you've heard this one before, but I'm getting into Unix networking as I like a lot of computer related pain and I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment.

There are so many questions I could ask, so firstly does anyone know of any good articles re. 10.3.2 and Linux networking, that cover permissions, access, security, best practice, protocols etc. I've looked but it all seems not quite relevant to either Mac or Linux or the two together.

Secondly, can anyone explain the following which is beyond me:

All I really want to do is use the 40GB iMac HD to back up two user a/c's from the eMac, which I'm assuming is a good use of my little network, unless anyone knows otherwise.

Working on the eMac, if I select in Finder Go -> Connect to Server and input nfs://iMac/usr/backups to mount a directory I can write to in a finder window and then drop a 300MB test disk image file onto the window from the eMac desktop I get transfer speeds of 600kB/s and a 15 min. wait. If I do the same but instead input afp://iMac/home to mount my homedir on the iMac I get 8-9MB/s and a 1 min. wait. Why the difference?

I haven't worked out yet how to test both protocols writing to the same directory as I haven't worked out how to get that access - afp wont let me log on as the iMac's root, so I can only mount user a/c's. Nfs, on the other hand, whilst not asking me to log into anything will allow me access to any non-user root directories (that I specify on the iMac) but compains about not having priviledges if I try to access user a/c's!!!!

It seems that 10.3.2 is harder to network than 9, I never had all these problems. Everything I want to do in 10 just seems that bit more un-obvious, if you catch my drift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules