Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clamshell Rebate?

Clamshell Rebate?
ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 04:59 PM

Did Apple ever offer a $300 rebate/buy back for Clamshell owners who could not run OS X? I know there was an offer of buy back for the owners of Jaguar who could not successfully load it. A friend told me that this was a $300 buy back program for owners of the original Clamshell iBook. I have a 366 Clamshell and I'm wondering if this offer is for real and if it is still good, and if it is for the 366 models too. I never heard about it officially, so I'm wondering if it is just a rumor or one of those secret, "only if you ask" things.

Val

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 06:05 PM

$300?!
Whoa
I saw about an OS X rebate, hm
we don't have time to stop for gas

jfinete
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 08:53 PM

I think that rebate was for the non-USB PowerBook & PowerMac G3. Which may be why Panther isn't supported at all on those systems.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2003, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by ValVashon:
Did Apple ever offer a $300 rebate/buy back for Clamshell owners who could not run OS X? I know there was an offer of buy back for the owners of Jaguar who could not successfully load it. A friend told me that this was a $300 buy back program for owners of the original Clamshell iBook. I have a 366 Clamshell and I'm wondering if this offer is for real and if it is still good, and if it is for the 366 models too. I never heard about it officially, so I'm wondering if it is just a rumor or one of those secret, "only if you ask" things.

Val
Jaguar works fine on all Clamshells (maybe a little slow, but it's fully supported). So the answer is no.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 11:43 AM

Have you tried installing OSX on you iBook? I had a hard time running OSX on my iBook 300 at first. After many failed attempts and alot of troubleshooting I replaced the RAM. For some reason it wasn't compatible with OSX. After that it worked perfectly. I don't think it ran as slow as some have made it out to be.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 09:03 AM

OS X runs fine on my backup machine... a 466SE Clamshell.

Peace,

Marc

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 08:03 PM

I got something from a lawsuit in the mail today about this problem. I never had a problem running X on my first ibook not fast but runs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules